VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Kelly Stiver

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

It's just the usual upgrade itch. It's hard to resist making a retro rig "just a little faster". On and on it goes. It evolves into a desire to build the imagined "ultimate retro rig" even though that's impossible unless by "retro rig" they mean Win9x and newer games. Unfortunately (or not) most Win9x games work fine in XP however so even a modern rig can run a lot of them just fine, and so building a "retro rig" based on 2002/2004 hardware is rather pointless (and hard to call retro anyway!).

😁

I keep wondering why out of deep curiosity, with DOSbox, VPC, ScummVM, VMware Player, etc., why build retro computers in the first place? I mean, doesn't the name "VOGONS" stand for "Very Old Games On New Systems"?

As for me, I used to keep a Packard-Bell PC (DOS/Win 3.11) and a CTX PC (Win 95/98SE) in my office to play all my old games, but since I started using DOSbox, and putting Win 98SE into my new machines via VPC and VMware Player, I've discovered I like my new setup better, the games run just fine, and as a result I gave my old computers to a friend in March/April of 2009, and to date I've never missed them nor regretted giving these old computers away.

But of course I play mostly pure adventure games (DOS/Win 95/98) and a few space combat sims (Wing Commanders, I-War, Star Rangers, Tachyon The Fringe, Star Wars, that were designed to run in DOS/Win 95/98). So far, I haven't even tried them in DOSbox, VMware Player (because I'm currently in the process of getting 2 new Win XP computers - a new netbook and a Core 2 Duo system next month, and thus I don't want to start playing these space combat sims on my current PC's that I may be soon replacing with the new PC's next month), but I'm very positive that I'll find a way to get them to run just fine.

Reply 1 of 9, by cdoublejj

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

These are my specs http://www.overclock.net/system.php?i=48163 and the last time i checked i can't run blood or shadow warrior to well but, my crappy ass old laptop which I downgraded from me to 98se can run shadow warrior just fine and i have yet to try blood but, i bet blood runs just fine.
witch reminds me my 98se Tower is little fooked up it locks when i try to run some dos games time to back up file and reformat and re update.

Reply 2 of 9, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Kelly , I think the answer is very obvious . Some of us prefer the real machines instead of DOSbox and all those different emulators. Cause DB and all that jazz are EMULATORS, not the real deal. And emulators are NOT all, ask any real video game console fan, they will frown upon you asking that question. And yes emulators are fun for five minutes a time, but ultimately even the best emulators sucks in comparison to the real thing, even though I enjoy having a foot in both camps. And some emulators are still fucking awesome to play with, such as some NES emulators that kicks ass and other stuff. And since I think you are a girl(your name), then if you aren't a butchy woman who likes to get your hands dirty. Then that is the reason why I come to the conclusion how come you are asking that question.

And I think James Burgett would probably give some kind of the same answer as me.

James Burgett

http://aftermath-technologies.blogspot.com/

Last edited by WolverineDK on 2010-01-29, 10:11. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 9, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The answer: Emulators aren't perfect.

How can you achieve emulation of an old computer without an old computer to verify, test and research on?

And finally, the compatibility 'hole' of 96-99 Win9x games is still bad, and VirtualBox, VMWare, VPC and Qemu all suck for emulating that area still. Old systems are the best option for that.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 9, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
leileilol wrote:

The answer: Emulators aren't perfect.

Although, in some cases, emulation can be better than the real thing. DOSBOX, for example, allows you to display games in interpolated resolution, which is better than the original 320x200 IMO. Also, it's easier to play around with CPU cycle setting than building a "sweet spot" machine for games like Wing Commander. And of course, you can still mix DOSBOX with "real things", like using it with a real MT-32 module.

As for myself, I tend to be "pragmatic" in my approach. I'm content with DOSBOX for low-res (320x200) games. When building legacy system, my first concern is Win9x games. Even VirtualBox is still far cry from running Win9x games the way DOSBOX does DOS games. The next is hi-res, 3D DOS games, which needs a really kickass machine to run in DOSBOX with reasonable speed. And of course, there are still 3dfx thingies to consider.

WolverineDK wrote:

And since I think you are a girl(your name)

Not all Kelly are women, though.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 5 of 9, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I keep wondering why out of deep curiosity, with DOSbox, VPC, ScummVM, VMware Player, etc., why build retro computers in the first place? I mean, doesn't the name "VOGONS" stand for "Very Old Games On New Systems"?

VOGONS was created (Thanks Snover!) out of dissatisfaction with how VDMSound's forums were setup and with the realization that there was a need to accumulate all of the knowledge for old games.

Originally VOGONS was OGONS but then someone (I think Stiletto) suggested the V (as a reference to Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy).

The intent is for ALL knowledge for getting games to work to be on these forums, not just New Systems but everyone knows that MOST people are going to want to play these games on their New Systems.

Obviously a portion of the population have the knowledge and effort to build and maintain multiple computers but for most gamers they just want to play their old games without having to do anything extra.

Indeed even the latest Windows 7 OS is still HIGHLY compatible with older games but for purists, people who like an older game who want a specific experience that only an older computer can provide, for the knowlede, etc then an older computer is what works for them.

Ideally as was mentioned in the post prior a combination is the best solution. New computer, emulators, old computers, etc but obviously can be much more complex when a user just wants to play a game right now and get it to go which is why there is a Very Old Games On New Systems.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 9, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

For old video game consoles, I'll admit the "emulators aren't perfect" argument makes sense, sort of.

But for PCs? Throughout most of the history of PC gaming, there's been a bazillion different PC configurations, and most games never targeted one configuration specifically. There was never a 100% ideal environment for running these games, and in a great many cases emulation is just as good - and a hell of a lot more convenient - as what you could expect from authentic hardware.

Reply 7 of 9, by chootastic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it's rather like having a real steam engine as opposed to a computer simulation of one.

I would like to state at this point that i dont have any retro systems any more, i was forced to give them up when moving to a smaller place.

But i would love to see my first system again, i still remember the specification:

Compaq Prolinea 25/ts
125 MB HDD
4 MB (Later expanded to 16MB) RAM
486 SX 25mhz processor
Tseng labs Graphics (VGA only (mode, not port))
MS-DOS 6
MS Windows 3.11

Im a UK citizen, and it was a us import for the record.

I would love to find another system that sounded like that one, especially if it smelt of burnt toast every time you switched it on 🤣.

Reply 8 of 9, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I am a hardcore collector. I use DB, but have some old PeeCees around too (starting with 486DX/33 up to AMD Sempron 2400+). Together with 8 and 16 bit computers like the good ol Acorn Beeb, Amstrad CPC, Commodore 64, Sinclair ZX Spectrum and local clones, Amiga 500&1200, Atari Mega ST.
And some game consoles (NES/Famicom clones, SEGA Megadrive, Super Nintendo and N64, several PS1 and a PS2).

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)