551 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 3 of 21, by oneirotekt

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, this is that out-of-tune problem I mentioned in the main thread. I tried the latest version of the emulator (DOSbox.exe is dated 07.06.2003) and it's still there (though it doesn't sound exactly like it did in the earlier version). If it sounds like this on my machine and on Snover's machine, but not on Canadacow's machine, that sounds like a big problem.

Reply 4 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok... ok... ok.... Got it fixed in the latest version to be out tomorrow. Big news too.. I've incorporated the real drum patches and they sound great. (Actually, it was in doing so I tracked down where the out of tuneness was coming from). Anyway, its really late here (5:00AM) so I'm not going to post a new version just yet.

Reply 5 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it's not a big deal, could you or someone else post an mp3 recording again when the new version comes out? I'm lazy but trying to keep up with development 😉

Reply 6 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sure... from now on I'll post SQ3 and Monkey Island versions on my site. Oh... and for sh*ts and giggles, I'll post what my first version sounded like in SQ3. Mwahaha.

Reply 7 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Lalala... new version out tonight. As always... I'm still inching my way closer to that original MT-32 sound. There are only a few final parameters that I need to nail down before it sounds right. I think I'm getting pretty close now, doesn't everyone agree? (Or should I just quit now and accept defeat?)

Reply 9 of 21, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for posting a new recording. I must say that it's extremely hard to evaluate the quality of the emulation with the pitch problem. I thought you knew what was causing it, but I guess maybe you haven't had a chance to work on fixing it yet? Keep at it 😉

Reply 13 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well... I'm struggling right now with whether its my waveform generation that's lacking or if its the low pass filter that's misconfigured. Thanks for your input though.

Reply 15 of 21, by canadacow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A little of everything. Good news. I finally have the PCM list down pat. No more problems with mismatched PCM samples. The final challenge that remains is that damn filter. For some reason (as everyone has noticed) I just can't seem to get the same bright sound as the MT-32. WTF? Oh well. There will be no new released versions until I get that bright sound I'm looking for.

P.S. Where did Vladr go? Does he still care about MT-32 emulation?

Reply 19 of 21, by Zorbid

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I listened to the 2 versions of SQ3 you've uploaded...

They both are out of tune. Are you sure that you use the right value for your half tones in the fft? or in the sawtooth/square wave generator?

Could you please post a sample of all possible c notes from the lower possble picth, to the higher possible pitch, played sequencially, first of a pure pcm sound, then of a pure and unfiltered sawtooth, then of a pure squarewave?
Then the same but with c d e f g a b c d e f g a b c (2 octaves)
Then with c c# d d# e f f# g g# a a# b c c# d d# e f f# g g# a a# b c

Played by the emulator, and by the MT-32. I'd like to compare...

Last edited by Zorbid on 2003-07-21, 07:28. Edited 1 time in total.