VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Anyone gotten this to run under WinXP with sound? Works fine without sound, but since it's a talkie I really don't want to play it that way...

With sound turned on in the config, I get this when starting the game:

ERROR FROM FILER
Chewy Spezial Taf

I got the game from the Underdogs site, and I've applied the fix they had, too... and I've tried both with and without VDMSound. I even tried to run it through VMWare, but the DOS sound support is not exactly 100%... 😀

Reply 1 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

That's really, really odd. Have you tried DosBox as an alternate thing? (.55 was just released! 😀) Just a thought. Otherwise, 'till you provide stuff outlined in the POSTING GUIDELINES, we can't do much.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 2 of 12, by Prefect47

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Didn't realize things were so strict around here 😀

Anyway, to answer the questions in the guidelines (to which, btw, your link did not go):

• I think I have the latest VDMSound, but as I'm away from my comp right now I can't be 100% sure. Will check and edit when I get home. Same with DosBox, Bochs etc.
  • The game is not on the VDMSound compatability list.
  • OS is Windows XP, game version is unknown.
  • Sound modes tried where everything SoundBlaster, but IIRC they all gave the same error. The videomode is probably 320x200 VGA since it's an old DOS game.
  • Hardware specs seem less important, but include an Abit BX6 v2.0 motherboard, a P3 933MHz, 256Mb 133MHz RAM, Matrox G200 GFX card (plus an even more ancient Voodoo2) and Soundblaster AWE32.

Hope any of that helps. I will try the obvious when I get home (reinstalling the game and stuff like that).

Reply 4 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The guidelines are so that we can help you.

Anyway, I'm downloading the game from The Underdogs. It looks like their bandwidth cap is at ~26.2KB/s (or there are just that many people downloading), so it'll take me about 50 minutes to download the game. Then the testing will begin (at least, on my end. 😁)

There is a link to missing files at HotU, so I suggest you try that out.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

You mean you can get in to play the game?

I haven't been able to play the game yet

If I start it from windowsXP (Without dosBox), I get to the first picture (a picture of the universe), then nothing happens... I have tried pressing everything, but it still doesn't change anything...

If I start it with DosBox (in WinXP), I get some error message about "Protected mode not supported"

How did you get in to play the game?

Reply 6 of 12, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The game runs fine, but the mouse does not respond on the game screen (though it responds fine to select inventory and on all other pages). I ASSUME you ran SETUP.BAT to extract all the files and then changed the .INI to reflect where the game was located on your hard drive??

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 9 of 12, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by ADG Yes, that's what I did

Did you make sure to follow step 2 from the ReadMe.TXT file?:

Copy UHARC.EXE included in this Zip to your Chewy folder.

If you skip this step (unless you have a copy of UHARC in a defined pathway), running the setup.bat file will skip the step where compressed game data is uncompressed and go straight to the OggSetup program.

That will give you a "ERROR FROM FILER" message every time.

For the record, Jael posted at HOTU that running MOUSECTL as follows:

Mousectl.com 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15
CHEWY.EXE

in a batch file seemed to work.

Reply 10 of 12, by ADG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thx, I managed to get into the game now 😀

Though I've already done this before, but I just tried to reinstall it for the 4th time...

Not sure what you mean about the:

Mousectl.com 5,6,10,15,15,15,15,15
CHEWY.EXE

Should this be pasted into a new .bat file, and use it as startup?
When I do this, it says: Mousectl.com is not recognized