VOGONS

First post, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Getting it ready for auction, figured I might as well show these pics/stats on here for historical sake. 😀 I'm getting rid of it cause: A) It was just too darn loud (PSU mainly) and B) I needed more ISA slots. Even though the Dell had on-board SB16 emulation, ethernet, and USB, I used none of them, opted for add-on cards.

Specs
HD = Western Digital Enhanced IDE 64AA Total size 6131mb, 5502free
CPU = Intel Pentium Pro, 200 MHz
CD-ROM = LG CD-ROM CRD-8483B (48x speed)
Ethernet = D-Link DFE-530TX PCI Fast Ethernet Adapter
Sound = Creative Sound Blaster 16 Model CT1740
Memory = 256mb (128x2) Kingston KTH4294/128 sticks
Display = Diamond Multimedia Stealth 64 Dram S3 Trio32/64
CPU Fan = Thermaltake TT-8025TU manually adjustable

610k free mem using CTMOUSE for mouse support and SHSUCDX for CD-ROM support under MS-DOS

Partitions
C Partition: Windows98SE, FAT32 3.89gb capacity
D Partition: Shared "Games", FAT 1.90gb capacity
E Partition: DOS6.22 / Windows for Work Groups 3.11, FAT 195mb capacity

Pics:
Check out the Thermaltake adjustable fan 😀 Ha, about the only thing left stock on this guy is the Mobo, CPU, PSU, and A Drive. Memory, Hard-Drive, CD-ROM Drive, CPU fan have all been replaced.

You can also see the double-sided tape I used in the lower left to hold a 120mm fan for extra cooling insurance.
GXPro1.jpg

Closeup of Dell's non-standard board (with riser card removed and PSU out of the way)
GXPro2.jpg

Riser Card with 3 PCI and 2 PCI/ISA combo slots. What we have here from top to bottom is the SB16, the Ethernet, and Vid card.
GXPro3.jpg

Mmmmm.. yellow! 😖
GXPro4.jpg

Back layout
GXPro5.jpg

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 2 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Never sold 🙁

I'd like $50 + shipping costs for it if you're interested.

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 7 of 21, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mike 01Hawk wrote:

Never sold 🙁

I'd like $50 + shipping costs for it if you're interested.

Sorry to hear that. My guess is it's not rare enough, or like I mentioned in this thread, it doesn't hit any retro sweet spot.
How important are early Pentiums?

Reply 8 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm necromancing this old thread. The PC is still for sale, although I'd like to recoup the money I put into this thing (around $50). I'll let it go to a good home if anyone is interested.

Reply 10 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have no idea. I'd assume on the low end of things.

Can Everest determine that thru software or bootup? I'd rather not have to re-apply thermal paste to the CPU to look at what's stamped on the die.

Reply 13 of 21, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm curious, I notice you're using an aftermarket fan in that thing. On the later Optiplexes I have, GX1's and GX110's, they complain about a system fan failure if I try to use a non-Dell fan in them... probably because of some difference in the RPM sensor signalling. Does yours do that, and, if so, did you find a way around having to hit F2 every boot to clear the error?

I ask because I've been wanting to replace the fans in a couple of mine, but the error message is rather annoying and I so far haven't found a way around it...

Reply 14 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Bugs, it has 256k.

Thrashbarg, I just plugged the aftermarket fan into a molex connector,not on-board fan (is there even one?). It's never complained at me.

Reply 15 of 21, by bugs_bugger

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for that information. Anyway it appeared to me that this little board left to the CPU can't be cache. The cache of a PPro is located on a separate die but included into the packaging. So does anybody know the purpose of this small board between CPU and PCI cards?

Reply 16 of 21, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

According to Dell, it's a slot for another CPU in the form of a riser card.
http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/dstrmlk/

Dual-Processor Capability

With the installation of a microprocessor add-in card in the terminator card slot, the computer becomes a dual-processing system. The add-in card’s microprocessor must have the same frequency and cache size as the system board’s microprocessor. In order to take advantage of 2 processors, dual-processing systems must have multiprocessing operating systems, such as the Microsoft� Windows NT� 3.5x, Windows NT 4.0, and Novell� NetWare� SMP (symmetric multiprocessing) operating systems. The microprocessor chips on both the system board and the processor card are replaceable.

I actually thought that it might be a Slot 1 at first. I have a Supermicro board with both a Socket 8 and a Slot 1.

Reply 17 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Currecto swaaye, if I wanted to go Dual Processor. IIRC someone on here has a dual GX series.

Reply 18 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This is still available if anyone wants to just pay me shipping and anything extra for my 'efforts' 🙁

Last edited by Mike 01Hawk on 2013-05-17, 21:22. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 19 of 21, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

FYI this has been sold! Thanks all