only seven years old, 🤣!

How about the rest of you?

Reply 1 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1993 and I think it was a beta.

Went up to the Exchange (same one where I saw Wolf3d when it came out for the first time).

Saw one of the guys who maintains the display computer at the Exchange and asked him about it and he let me play. IIRC he tried to setup nullmodem but it wouldn't work. I figured out how to get out of whatever shell they were using to demo the computers (think it was running on top of Windows 3.1).

I also put Doom in an ALT+255 directory and/or renamed the files to ordinary looking files so it couldn't be found in case someone else found the game. Occasionally I would go up there and play Doom.

I remember one time playing a Barney mod on Doom up there and a little girl crying when she saw it. Ah, good times.

As far as specs it was probably a 486SX or DX. Can't remember.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 3 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It was Dec 1993: I don't remember, it's most likely a 486SX 33. Doom ran so slow, I couldn't believe THIS would be the requirement.

Doom2 wasn't much of a problem, being armed with a DX4-100 by then (Oct 1994).

DosFreak wrote:

1993 and I think it was a beta.

It wasn't. 1.0 or 1.1 was most likely the version, since it works with -file. Official support as a user creation platform designed for killing Barney and the Energizer Bunny was probably Doom's biggest selling point at the time. 😀

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 6 of 25, by lightmaster

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

hp 486 dx @ work, yes this is a confession hehe , i feel better now :p. on a side note i gave up on the game with the 'too hard' excuse. few months later i retried.

25071588525_735097840e_b.jpg

Reply 7 of 25, by mr_bigmouth_502

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It was around 2005 on a 2.4GHz Pentium 4 with Intel onboard graphics using DosBox (0.63 I think). I sort of started out late on the whole thing. 🤣

Reply 8 of 25, by Mike 01Hawk

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Shareware Fall of '93. Band friend handed me 2 3.5 inch disks labeled Doom 1/2 and Doom 2/2. Didn't know ANYTHING about the game at the time other than it was some sort of Wolf3D clone or something made by the people who made Wolf3D.

Needless to say I was friggen BLOWN away by the first level. I remember being shocked at being able to see the Imps THRU the grates at the end of the first level. I was just in awe.

It was played first on a 386 SX 25mhz w/ 4 meg of ram and 110 meg HD. Had to play minimized 🙁

I remember that I blew like $500+ of my Senior High school Graduation money in '94/95 on a Pentium 60 (or was that 90?) w/ a 2meg dedicated Diamond Vid card. I was blown away (no pun intended) at how upgrading to the Pentium made the barrel explosions sooooooooooooo fluid. 😀

Dell Optiplex Gxpro: Built solely so I could re-live my SB16 days properly with newly acquired sound pieces: MT-32, SCB-55, and DB50xg 😀

Reply 9 of 25, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Played it for the first time in spring 2000 on my PIII 667mhz Win98SE machine
Didn't have a computer when Doom came out

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 10 of 25, by Salient

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Must have been beginning of 1994, on a Pentium-90 with 8MB RAM.

MIDI comparison website: << Wavetable.nl >>
(Always) looking for: Any Wavetable daughterboard, MIDI Module (GM/GS/XG)

Reply 11 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First time I saw it was at my friends home, he was playing it on a Pentium 90 I think.

First time I played it myself was about 3 years ago on the 486 I posted on these forums a couple days ago and it was choppy! (which is one of the reasons I believe it's badly configured).
It's a DX4-100 with 64MB ram and 1997 videocard.

Reply 13 of 25, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

First time I saw it was at my friends home, he was playing it on a Pentium 90 I think.

First time I played it myself was about 3 years ago on the 486 I posted on these forums a couple days ago and it was choppy! (which is one of the reasons I believe it's badly configured).

There must be something wrong with your PC. A friend of mine and me were playing it about 2 years ago on an AM486 100Mhz and it ran just fine with full-screen and high detail.

Reply 14 of 25, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
F2bnp wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

There must be something wrong with your PC. A friend of mine and me were playing it about 2 years ago on an AM486 100Mhz and it ran just fine with full-screen and high detail.

Yup, I know. I just haven't spend any time on tweaking that system yet. After having build it I only spend some time in making the system more silent and afterwards went directly to building my other retrogame PC's.

Anyway, I am going to be building atleast one more 486 based computer once my ordered chips arrive 😀

Reply 15 of 25, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

First time was in early 1994 on a 486 SX 33 with a black&white VGA monitor at a friends house.
Second time was also in 1994 on a 486 DX 33 at home on the new family PC. This time in full color.

Good times!

::42::

Reply 17 of 25, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some 486 DX 40, in the info lab we had in highschool. Then my very own 486 DX4 100, a gift from my parents when I got admitted to U.

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 18 of 25, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

On a 386DX-25, I even tried a Deathmatch with a friend over a Modem Dial-Up connection.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool