VOGONS

Good DOS joystick test program?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can anyone recommend a good joystick testing app for DOS? For some reason the right thumbstick on my 360 controller won't work and i'd like to play through some configuration scenarios. I'd need some program to show axis and button status (including analog throttles and rudder controls), possibly for all joysticktypes supported by DOSBox.

Reply 2 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Agh. I need to test the inputs in DOS, not in Win 9x. I thought i made that clear in the original post. There is no mapper file. I know how to properly use the mapper anyway, thank you very much. robermo, why don't you just refrain from typing when you have nothing useful to say?

Reply 4 of 10, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hmmm i thought you were joking, hence the slight hostility. Installing Win9x just for the sake of setting up my controller seems like a bit of overkill. I'm still hoping there's a simple DOS app for the job, or maybe a nice game config app.

Reply 5 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

win95 is the size of 24 floppies (so way smaller than any CD game)
there is a nice guide on beta testers forum by dosfreak
and of course you don't have to install any updates, sound, gfx, drivers etc
and hal's MB5 has imgmake that makes even 2GB images without the need to fdisk and format them 😀

so if you don't find any good testing program... 😀

Reply 6 of 10, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Attached is a ZIP containing utilities that I've used for years to test joysticks under DOS (and curretly, DOSBox):

Joystick Check v1.05 - JOYCHECK.EXE - EXCELLENT!

Joy Test v2.0 - JOYTEST.EXE - An old QBasic proggie of mine.

TM Scope - TMSCOPE.EXE - Another nice one, by Thrustmaster.

Attachments

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 7 of 10, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dosbox has some strange limits in the code for limiting number of axes and hats.

But if you set joysticktype=4axis all four axes should work (at least they do on normal joysticks/pads). I think xbox360 pad has 6 axes. Each trigger is a separate axe, and are detected as axe first and axe second.
left stick is axes 3rd and 4th.
So right stick will not work as the right stick is axe 5th and 6th

Although i heard that you can configure xbox pad (in its drivers configuration panel) to use its triggers as only one axe (not two separate axe), or as buttons. So if you configure them as buttons right stick should work.
And if you configure them as only one axe, they will be axe first, left stick will be axe 2nd and 3rd, right stick will have only one axe working (4th).

Can you confirm what i said?

Reply 9 of 10, by bloodbat

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

Although i heard that you can configure xbox pad (in its drivers configuration panel) to use its triggers as only one axe (not two separate axe), or as buttons. So if you configure them as buttons right stick should work.

Can you confirm what i said?

No, with the MS drivers you can't, at least I've never found a way. By the default they are configured as a single axis: Z.

Reply 10 of 10, by RonySol

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rfnagel wrote on 2010-05-13, 22:52:
Attached is a ZIP containing utilities that I've used for years to test joysticks under DOS (and curretly, DOSBox): […]
Show full quote

Attached is a ZIP containing utilities that I've used for years to test joysticks under DOS (and curretly, DOSBox):

Joystick Check v1.05 - JOYCHECK.EXE - EXCELLENT!

Joy Test v2.0 - JOYTEST.EXE - An old QBasic proggie of mine.

TM Scope - TMSCOPE.EXE - Another nice one, by Thrustmaster.

thank you very much for the files ... i am just buliding my 486 dos/win3.1 and it is very useful