VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've already tried dosemu...failed, I might just run DOS on the other hard drive on this one...where would I find DOS? I don't have a floppy drive either, so it would have to be on CD somehow..

Reply 22 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

/me rolls his eyes at robertmo's post which is unhelpful and utterly pointless in the context of this thread

iRelyt: MS-DOS is copyrighted software. You can probably buy original DOS floppies at eBay or similar sites. AFAIK DOS has never been released on CD. You could try FreeDOS, it comes as floppy images or a CD image. FreeDOS is not 100% compatible to MS-DOS though.

Reply 23 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well...I've tried FreeDOS before, I can Never get it to install properly or run properly, I'll try and find MS-DOS...I'm sure I could find it, I have my methods, of which I'm not going to say cause I don't want angry emails from Microsoft... 😀 I'll probably find it, getting it to install without floppies, that's another challenge...are there only really MS-DOS and FreeDOS?

Reply 24 of 35, by Zirias

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, but AFAIK, all other PC-DOS systems are commercial (DR-DOS, PTS-DOS, ...)

And, installing MS-DOS without a floppy could get quite tricky. You can try bruning a bootable CD with 1.44M-floppy-emulation el-torito boot-image of the first installation disk and put the files of the other disks directly on the CD, /maybe/ this works ... (should be a lot simpler to install FreeDOS using an official installation CD. Or grab a 1.44M FDD somewhere and hook it up)

Reply 25 of 35, by iRelyt

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The part about burning the CD with floppy emulation...how would I do that? Any program that does that has to run on Linux by the way...

Reply 27 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ADDiCT wrote:

/me rolls his eyes at robertmo's post which is unhelpful and utterly pointless in the context of this thread

How can you say anything if you don't even know his dosbox's configuration...

Reply 28 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Easy, I'm using my brain. Plus, I'm actually _reading_ what people are posting. The OP has stated that he's using old hardware. No amount of conf tweaking or status windows analysis will change that. Note that the original problem has been solved some posts ago and we're dealing with other issues now.

Reply 29 of 35, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

games he mentioned are for 286 and 386 so his PC should be enough.
also his previous conf was totally ducked up
and also running emulator inside another emulator doesn't help performance too..

Reply 30 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

and also running emulator inside another emulator doesn't help performance too..

???

If you're referring to WINE: WINE is not an emulator (W=Wine I=Is N=Not an E=Emulator, that's the official project title). Besides, the OP doesn't run DOSBox in WINE. In one of the first posts he describes how he has installed DOSBox via apt-get, so it stands to reason that he's using the native Linux version.

And now I will stop explaining the contents of this thread (; .

Back on topic: I do think the PC is too slow to run "demanding" games (=3D, the release year is irrelevant). I presume we're talking about an Athlon (running at low Mhz too), and that CPU is not exactly a computing powerhouse.

Reply 32 of 35, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In DOSBox?! Well I'm (more or less) making an educated guess here of course. When i take my old machine (P4/2.6Ghz) which is the first machine I've run DOSBox on as a reference point, then "go back" several CPU generations and reduce the CPU speed, add the fact that the OP is running Linux which is not exactly optimized for gaming etc., I come to the conclusion that the system could be too slow to run DOSBox reliably with fluid graphics and good sound. I could be wrong of course.

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2010-06-02, 12:42. Edited 1 time in total.