VOGONS

First post, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi!

My system:

Intel Quad Core Q6600 @2,4 GHz (I guess it's 2,4 x 4 = 9,6 GHz)
4GB RAM
Geforce 8800 GT
Soundblaster X-Fi Xtreme Audio
Windows Vista 64Bit (regrettably)
Dosbox 0.73 / Dosbox CVS Build by Gulikoza (DOSBoxcvs-090704)

(I play Screamer 2 @SVGA and 256 colours)

Initially I tried Screamer 2 via Dosbox 0.73 (normal software version - nothing special). No problems so far. But the game is at the best barely smooth and on some (graphically intense) courses - like california - the stuttering already effects the playability.
It feels like I have a bad configured P120 or something...

Anyways. I wanted to enjoy Screamer 2 with glide support. After an odyssey of trial and error, I finally attempted Gulikoza's CVS Build and it worked!! (I had already installed the 3dfx-patch earlier). But unfortunately this version is very very slow!! 😒 Endless stuttering and virtually unplayable.

Btw: For both options I tried a bit with the cpu-cycles and core adjustments - without success. (one time Screamer 2 under glide became some kind of a slow-motion - kinda smoother, but slowmo)

Ok, my question: Is it possible, to get both versions (but especially the glide one) faster?? No matter how...

I also tried the latest Daum Café version from here http://ykhwong.x-y.net/cvs/frame.html but I get the message "grSstopen failed" when I type "b2_3dfx.exe"...

I didn't tried that dgvoodoo and vdm sound stuff, cause I have no idea how they work and also read that Vista isn't supported from both...?!?

Kind Regards!

Reply 4 of 23, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

core=dynamic
cycles=max
?

I tried... (both for software and glide version) But, if anything, there is only a slight improvement. Still not totally smooth. Maybe that improvement only comes from my imagination. 😉

You must face the power of the black wave of Lardossa, before you can become a Drexciyan Wavejumper

Reply 5 of 23, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Set lfb=write under [glide] section.

Yeah, already read this on your website and changed that "lfb=full" to "lfb=write". But then, the game doesn't even want to start. In deed I get the 3dfx-logo, but then only a black screen and after a few seconds the dosbox closes itself automatically... 🙁

Btw: What means "lfb" and it's several options? What's the influence I can take with the different adjustments?

You must face the power of the black wave of Lardossa, before you can become a Drexciyan Wavejumper

Reply 6 of 23, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think there was a bug that crashed dosbox when lfb was changed. I have already fixed it, but have not yet released the new version.
Glide allowed the game/program to fully access the linear framebuffer (rendered image) and read/write from/to it. The operation was very fast. Modern APIs (D3D, OpenGL) do not allow such access and the workarounds are usually slow (reading backbuffer for example in OpenGL). Screamer for example does a lot of lfb reads for no apparent reason and that slows it down a lot. By limiting lfb access to write only, only write operations are allowed so the read access do not slow down the game.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 9 of 23, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It doesn't seem to require reading. At least there are no visual changes I can see when lfb read is disabled. I suspect they do a lfb read, render the hud to the image and then write it back. By doing smart lfb writes (only pixles that change), read is not necessary in this case. Redguard for example saves a screenshot of the current game when saving so reads are necessary and not frequent.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 10 of 23, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

I think there was a bug that crashed dosbox when lfb was changed. I have already fixed it, but have not yet released the new version.

Ok, looking forward!! 😀 When do you intend to release it?

Glide allowed the game/program to fully access the linear framebuffer (rendered image) and read/write from/to it. The operation was very fast. Modern APIs (D3D, OpenGL) do not allow such access and the workarounds are usually slow (reading backbuffer for example in OpenGL). Screamer for example does a lot of lfb reads for no apparent reason and that slows it down a lot. By limiting lfb access to write only, only write operations are allowed so the read access do not slow down the game.

Thx for the explanation. I kinda understand it now. 😉

Reply 11 of 23, by Drexciyan_Wavejumper

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
robertmo wrote:

Drexciyan_Wavejumper how many cycles and fps have you got with with dynamic/max in gulikoza's build?

Core=dynamic
Cycles=max

Hm, it's difficult to point only one value. There aren't definite values for the fps & cycles. Even within the menu the rates are "dancing around". E.g. the cycles somethin between 30000-38000 and the fps are approximately 25-35.
Note that data counts only the the 3d menu. (and not every screen -> the screen on which I choose my car has only about 15 fps)

Within the game (england course), the cycles range between 10000 and 15000 and the fps range between 3 and 9 (most time there are 5 or 7 fps). 🙁

Reply 12 of 23, by Gilcontines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Everyone,
I'm brazilian and very new here in this forum, my english is very bad also so please be pattiance with me ok.
I'm having the same problem that our friend here (Drexciyan_Wavejumper), trying to play this great game (Screamer 2) in best performance possible. I installed the last DosBox version and its going very well except for one error that crashes the game always around after play 2 times the "Time Attack"(6laps), in the middle of the game...the screen crashes and here what appears:

Crash.jpg

Again sorry for my english, and hope to find a solution here.

All the best for all u.

Thanks

Gil

Reply 13 of 23, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Gilcontines wrote:

I'm having the same problem that our friend here (Drexciyan_Wavejumper),

Drexciyan_Wavejumper doesn't have crushing problem so his problem is completely different.

what is your dosbox version and where have you got it from?
what is your Operating System?
what are your PC specifications?

post content of "DOSBox Status Window" (in Windows: right click on its title bar -> edit)
enclose your dosbox's config file

post your mount lines and what is written under every mount line
post what is written after you type "mount"

Reply 14 of 23, by Gilcontines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Robert, Thanks For the reply.
I tried the version 0,74 (same problem) and now I have the 0,73 DosBox Installed.
Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional
Versão 2002
Service Pack 2

Computer: Laptop ACER Aspire 4530
From System - Control Painel:
AMD Athlon (tm) 64 X2 Dual-Core
QL-60
988MHz 1,75GB de RAM
9100 G TurboCashe

I got DosBox From here:
http://www.dosbox.com/download.php?main=1

Here's the mount lines as I do to play:
DosBoxmountlines.jpg

I think the Config File from the DosBox is Attached. Let me know if u can reat it.

Note:
I tried to execute the S2_3Dfdx. exe but it ask for CD Extension (Install CD Extencions First). I have the Original CD But I think Im to stupid to now how to do that.
🙁

I hope it helps.

Tks again

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox-0.73.conf
    File size
    9.91 KiB
    Downloads
    283 downloads
    File comment
    Can u read this? Sorry if not.
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 16 of 23, by Gilcontines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Dosboxlimited.jpg

Ok, why limited support???

Ater that all goes well, I put the install.bat to run - installation Setup begins with the CD, but when I choose the Destination Drive and press ENTER just a BIIIIIP sound is listen and I can go on with the installation. Why that?

Thanks

Reply 17 of 23, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What destination drive? You only mounted your CD drive. You need the hard drive mounted as well.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 18 of 23, by Gilcontines

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks a lot to Robertmo and Dosfreak, great help!

It's to new for me as u can see, that's why I have serious problems to get that undesrtood.

Now I mounted C: and D: then install in C: as possible ofcouse 😀

Installation was successful done press ENTER in the end to start the game and here another problem: haha

starth.jpg

Note: I have the Original Screamer 2 CD in the Drive D:

ESC to GET Back to DosBox comand:

C:/S2>

Starth.exe asks for the Screamer 2 Disk also...

Should I try the 3Dfx pach?

Thanks again.