VOGONS

MIDI input patch

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 60, by danot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It appears that this awesome midi-in feature that was added for 72 is not in the official 73 release. Will it be added to the official build? hopefully it will be added for the .74 release - since i don't want to be stuck with using a custom build of DosBox version 72. (this change allows me to run Jump Music Discovery Piano on Vista via DosBox/Win 3.11) (I haven't been able to run this program for 7 years since upgrading from Windows ME to XP) (It's still the best program for learning how to play the piano - i have tried several since)

Thanks for your hard work on getting midi input working.

Dana

Reply 41 of 60, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd love this too, but I'm not quite sure how things like this get in the official release.

It seems to work perfectly in this custom 72, but eventually running this old version of DOSbox may be a problem..

Reply 42 of 60, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

the patch might apply to the 0.73 or later release as well.
It was never included as I had the impression that it is still work in progress.
Aside from that, no game needs this functionality, so it is not high priority

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 43 of 60, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Srecko made it available as a special exe, not a patch, so we can't really apply it somehow ourselves.

It does work 100%, so not sure what would keep it as 'work in progress'. Maybe Srecko can jump in here?

Reply 45 of 60, by Srecko

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,
Yes, all the various patch versions are (AFAIR) on the sf.net, although I wouldn't call it finished. I did some more development and input code cleanup last year but eventually got sidetracked so it's sitting unfinished (and I didn't even visit Vogons for some time...). Probably will be getting back to it though.

Reply 46 of 60, by dvwjr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srecko wrote:

Hi,
Yes, all the various patch versions are (AFAIR) on the sf.net, although I wouldn't call it finished. I did some more development and input code cleanup last year but eventually got sidetracked so it's sitting unfinished (and I didn't even visit Vogons for some time...). Probably will be getting back to it though.

I may have some other MIDI code to offer on the MT-32 rev00 stereo reversal and buffer over-runs in the next few months. I would hope that Srecko's MIDI input code might at some time be incorporated into DOSBox, since this would among other options would allow a seperate instance of DOSBox running with the GUS emulation and the GUS MIDI program UltraMID to provide another MIDI player/module source.

Use of a MIDI re-director such as MIDI Yoke would allow any DOSBox hosted game to use the DOSBox GUS emulation/UltraMID as another MIDI module of the 1988-1997 time frame, such as the Roland MT-32, SC-55, SC-88, Korg, etc. Quite a few DOSBox users await a perfect emulation of the Roland MT-32 MIDI module to be incorporated eventually in DOSBox, while the GUS/UltraMID MIDI emulation is already within reach...

The GUS sound card and the DOSBox GUS emulation combined with the UltraMID program would allow any General MIDI capable DOS (or Windows) game to have access to the unique (and variable with the use of GUS patches) GUS sound from the DOS era.

dvwjr

Reply 47 of 60, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
dvwjr wrote:

...some other MIDI code to offer on the MT-32 rev00 stereo reversal and buffer over-runs...

Very cool, if I can help you test this, let it be known!

Reply 48 of 60, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

dvwjr
I thought buffer overrun happened only on old versions of MT-32 with games that were designed for CM-32L/LAPC-I, and nothing could be done about it. Although i was able to prevent buffer overrun by extremely slowing down DOSBox for the moment of programming MT-32 but i am not sure whether it was possible on a real PC as of course you couldn't so extremely slow down real PC, and also no gamer was expected to do so.

So I am curious whether you are you trying to fix a bug of old MT-32 versions with games made for CM-32L/LAPC-I? And how would it be possible cause if you add some buffer that will delay messages sent to MT-32 what would happen if the music should already start playing and your buffer will be still sending delayed programming messages?

Reply 50 of 60, by davephillips

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I applied the patch to the 0.74 sources. Had to muck around with some of the SB/Tandy code (commented out anything with SB_Get_Address, IIRC), but eventually compiled DOSbox with support for MIDI In. Tested with Voyetra's M/pc on an old Debian Linux system. A DOSBOX entry appears in the MIDI Connections panel of my JACK system controller, I attached other ALSA sequencer clients to it with no troubles. Nice. No stress tests yet, but I'll keep working with it, it's just what I needed for working with M/pc. Thanks for the patch and config details !

Edit 25 June 2010: Alas, I was too enthusiastic. I can indeed get MIDI Input working, but then I lose the MIDI output config value. The patch sources are a bit confusing: There's code from January and October 2008, but dosbox.cpp is missing from the October files. There are other problems I can probably resolve with srecko's assistance. Srecko, are you still here ?

http://linux-sound.org

Reply 51 of 60, by Chris_TG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I hope this is the right subforum for my question...
I'm trying to get some old MIDI librarian software running on my XP system.
I tried a lot of emulators and virtualization progs before, everytime the show-stopper was the missing or non-functional midi-support.
Now I found MIDI-out AND in working for me in DOSBox. Since the app is a Win3.1 program, I installed Win3.11 in DOSBox.
At the control panel in Win3.11 I chose "Roland MPU-401" drivers, and I set the base-address to 0x330, but I have no idea what IRQ I should select there?!.
So, MIDI-out from Win3.11 works perfectly, but I can't get MIDI-in working there. 🙁
Any hints?

TIA!
Chris

Reply 53 of 60, by dbarton

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to be sure, you are using the special older patched version of DOSBOX that has midi IN, from this thread, and NOT the latest release version. (which does not have MIDI input).

You might need to set inconfig to get MIDI input. I use:
[midi]
mpu401=intelligent
device=win32
config=
inconfig=0
midioptions=inputmpu401

Reply 54 of 60, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a-wondering if by chance that this patch has been compiled into an SVN version 0.74 of DOSBox (or if there were any plans to do so)?

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 55 of 60, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfnagel wrote:

Just a-wondering if by chance that this patch has been compiled into an SVN version 0.74 of DOSBox (or if there were any plans to do so)?

Sorry to bump this old(er) message thread, but :bump:

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 57 of 60, by djpeterso23662

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have been meaning to try to get Miracle Piano for Windows running under DOSBOX for a while, so I spent some time on it today. I installed the custom build of 0.72 from this thread, and it appears to be pretty close. I am using a USB MIDI controller (M-Audio Oxygen 49) under VISTA has the host, and I have not been able to feed any MIDI INPUT from it into Windows 3.1/Miracle Piano. I have the SB16 driver loaded into Windows 3.1 as suggested in the Windows 3.1 thread. Sound is working okay.

I have tried each of the DOSBOX.conf MIDI INPUT settings (inputsbuart,inputmpu401 or inputauto) without any difference in results, as well as inconfig=0 and inconfig=1. The Miracle Piano for Windows sees "SB16 MIDI IN" as its only choice.

I am wondering if I have botch the DOSBOX.conf setting, the VISTA settings, or something else. Friendly suggestions would be very welcome, as would a simple way to test MIDI keyboard connectivity in Windows 3.1.

Thanks for reading!

PS: DOSBOX 0.74 works amazingly well with Miracle Piano for DOS. This requires the original Miracle Piano keyboard and a DB9 serial port. Kudos to the developers!

Reply 58 of 60, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Again, extremely sorry for bumping this old message thread, but I was simply wondering if by chance that there were any plans to compile this patch into an SVN version 0.74 of DOSBox?

I would LOVE to see that 😀 Or, if possible (even better), simply a compiled *regular* version 0.74 of DOSBox with just the MIDI input patch added into it 😀 😀 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 59 of 60, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Sorry not helpful post, just nitpicky:
There is no SVN version of 0.74 😉
SVN is just the version control system and head or master is the most recent code. 0.74 of Dosbox is a specific tag of the SVN. A specific revision of SVN that got tagged as 0.74. just wanted to clarify (or make it worse 😉) the SVN term...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper