VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This webpage from ixbtlabs.com benchmarks 80 video cards from 1999-2003. I thought it was worth mentioning this, because a lot of these video cards are discussed on Vogons. I would guess that about 95% of them have Windows9x drivers.

http://ixbtlabs.com/articles2/over2003/

Reply 1 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Awesome!

Tomshardware used to do massive CPU and VGA charts. But I haven't seen any for ages. They where awesome to compare your new gear with what you had before...

PS: I am uploading some pics of my latest goodies 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

PS: I am uploading some pics of my latest goodies 😀

Hehe, I like the bear!

Tetrium wrote:

Downloaded, for storage in my personal offline archive. 😁
Cheers!

You're welcome!

Reply 6 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Svenne wrote:

This I find interesting:

Testbed configurations: […]
Show full quote

Testbed configurations:

Athlon XP 3000+ based computer
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (2166 MHz)
MSI KT7 Ultra-2 mainboard based on VIA KT333

Hehe

Reply 7 of 22, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

This I find interesting:

Testbed configurations: […]
Show full quote

Testbed configurations:

Athlon XP 3000+ based computer
AMD Athlon XP 3000+ CPU (2166 MHz)
MSI KT7 Ultra-2 mainboard based on VIA KT333

Why, that's because VIA made the best, fastest, most stable chipsets! 🤣

Nope, the summary page reveals the real reason for choosing the VIA KT333:

iXBT Labs wrote:

we used the most powerful of the existing platforms, which supports all AGP 1.0-3.0 video cards.

Reply 9 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Choosing the VIA KT333 chipset allowed ixbitlabs to include video cards such as the AGP Voodoo5. In their previous test (from my O.P.), they ommited the V5. But the inclusion of a 3000+ rated CPU is not a surprise. In fact, I'm quietly confident that a 3000+ rated mobile barton will work on one or two KT133A based mobos. I've got a 2600+ to work OK in one of them, and I've OC'd it to run at 2.4 Ghz. The only reason stopping me from getting a 3000+ CPU and testing it is the price. And time. I'll get around to it sometime before the end of the year though.

Reply 10 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Oh yeah, I'd like to add a link which I find very handy for comparing GPU's.
Not a benchmark but still very handy.
It's a list of graphics cards going from the Mystique 220 all the way to the most modern graphics cards listed in order of slow to fast.
I find it great as it's very old and still being updated!

http://www.pc-erfahrung.de/grafikkarte/vga-gr … krangliste.html

Ofcourse it's not all inclusive but for general comparing of graphics cards I think it's a great source of information 😀

Reply 13 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wow the performance jumps back in the day where massive...

Just the other day I was discussing how little progress there is going from a S775 system to S1366 and now Sandy Bridge. Going from a PI to a PII to a PIII, now THAT was progress.

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 22, by MrKsoft

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wow the performance jumps back in the day where massive...

Just the other day I was discussing how little progress there is going from a S775 system to S1366 and now Sandy Bridge. Going from a PI to a PII to a PIII, now THAT was progress.

Totally true. I got an extremely expensive P2/450 in 1999 (right before the PIII came out) and it seems like literally overnight we went from there to breaking the Ghz barrier. A friend of mine got a new (budget!) PC in 2001 and it was a 1.6 Ghz P4. Two years later, I had a 3.06 Ghz P4 myself. That's almost seven times the clock speed in just four years. Sure, clock speed isn't everything, but before all the multicore stuff, it sure was a lot more than it is now.
That P2 was nearly useless by then, especially for any sort of game-- even with an upgrade to a Radeon 7500 (from a RIVA TNT2 based card) and maxing out the RAM at 384MB.

By comparison, I got an Athlon 64 3500+ based computer in 2005, and it held up amazingly well for five years. Technology seems to have slowed down significantly, as I very rarely found anything that wouldn't run on that thing. I only ever bumped the RAM up to 1.5GB from 1GB, and replaced the onboard graphics with a $30 GeForce 8400GS, which isn't even that good. It still flew.

I only bought a new computer two months ago, because I'm starting my education in computer graphics and needed something that could actually run the hefty 3D software. It's a decked out i7-920 rig with a Radeon 5870, and if technology goes the way it's been going, I could see this thing being a good performer for 6 years minimum. (knock on wood)

Reply 16 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea all the current and recent cpus are around 3 GHz. We are getting more cores, but a lot of software can't take advantage of that.

My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 22, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From 95-00, the jumps were huge, you're looking at the original non-MMX Pentium to a 1.5Ghz Willamette and on the graphics front something line a 2mb Trio to a Geforce 3/ Radeon 8500. But IMHO I think the momentum has never slowed down, nor the jumps been smaller with each new generation.

From 05-10, what have we? Athlon 64s were the bomb in 2005, available in FX guise, dual core and capable of overclocking up to 3ghz. Coupled with an NF4 chipset, 1gb ram and let's sat ummm, a GF6800GT or 8xx series this was potent combination 5 years ago.

If you are using this for any non-gaming task today it would still be mega fast, but unfortunately such a system is not capable of playing any of today's games (besides Torchlight) with a reasonable amount of eye-candy on.

So now 5 years on the standard setup for a reasonable gaming rig would be any garden variety quad core, 4 gb ram and something like a GTX460/ 5850.

Compared with what we had 5 years back the available technology is a quantum leap ahead. And necessary if you intend to enjoy today's games the way the developers intended. But if you're not gaming then I think a P4 would still be plenty for most people.

Reply 18 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sgt76 wrote:

But if you're not gaming then I think a P4 would still be plenty for most people.

As long as Adobe Flash gets stupidly slower and new versions of popular web browsers get "faster", it won't be the case for much longer.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 19 of 22, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

As long as Adobe Flash gets stupidly slower and new versions of popular web browsers get "faster", it won't be the case for much longer.

🤣 Yeah, I remember when a P3 was still net worthy. Flash is a killer for old PCs... I had a Willamette system which had to be overclocked to 2.1Ghz to play 360p Flash videos smoothly. Kinda stupid really, cause at that speeds I could use it to play HL2.

CPU requirements YouTube = HL2 😵