VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hopefully by the end of the year, I will have a new 24" LCD monitor. It will either be the Dell Ultrasharp U2410, or the HP LP2475w. I believe that they are quite similar monitors, in terms of specification and quality. For instance, they both have great hardware scaling. However, the Dell monitor has the useful VGA D-SUB connection on the back, whereas the HP monitor requires a DVI to analog adapter, if you want to use a VGA cable, because it has no D-SUB connector. Is this bad? Also, what about a Windows 9x .INF driver file? I'm not sure if either monitor will have this file on their installation CD-ROM, for use with Windows 95/98. If these monitors don't support windows9x, will this cause a major problem? Can you write your own .INF file, and somehow trick both the monitor and Operating System that the information in a newly created .INF file is acceptable, providing that the information inside the .INF is technically suitable? Presumably, you would need to read the monitor's technical specification from the user guide appendix section, and then write an .INF file based around that. Thanks for any ideas.

Reply 2 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a PCIe X300 card (so quite new) and it didn't support my widescreen LCD monitor (It's a 18.5" with 1366 x786 pixels).

So I wouldn't be surprised if you run into issues with a widescreen LCD on older computers.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I had a PCIe X300 card (so quite new) and it didn't support my widescreen LCD monitor (It's a 18.5" with 1366 x786 pixels).

So I wouldn't be surprised if you run into issues with a widescreen LCD on older computers.

I've run into issues with widescreen LCD's with computers fitted with graphics cards made 'just' 5 years ago 🤣.

Often was fixed by using DVI or that HD connector instead of VGA. (My only widescreen is a HD ready TV so it might not actually count)

Reply 4 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think you don't need to worry too much about the INF file for the monitor type.

So far, I have never faced any problem with my LCD TV, and two other LCD screens - one wide angle and another, not, with respect to Windows 9x compaitbility. I've tried mixing up Tseng ET4000 VLB video card, S3 64V+, Virge, Verite, nvidia, and ATI cards, with the LCDs and Windows 95 to ME. Windows will pick it up as a "Plug and Play Monitor", and sometimes even as "Unknown Monitor", but everything will work fine. Usually an "Unknown Monitor" will be detected as "Plug and Play" monitor
once the graphics card driver is installed.

If you still prefer to install the INF file, and there is none with the CD (which usually contains only the online manual, nowadays), you can easily create one with Powerstrip utility (http://entechtaiwan.com/util/ps.shtm). It's quite simple actually. All you need to do is to look up the LCD's manual and enter the values to create the INF file within the program. You can even give a name to your LCD and that will appear in Device Manager.

Last edited by Malik on 2010-09-16, 15:23. Edited 1 time in total.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yes, as Jorpho said, it's also possible to add custom resolution via editing the registry. Powerstrip does not seem to support HD5xxx series, and maybe HD4xxx series. Yet.

I've added custom resolution in the registry for use with the Amiga Emulator - WinUAE (640x512) - for correct Amiga aspect ratio in full screen in my notebook.

Reply 7 of 13, by bestemor

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I have this Dell2209WA, on my win98 PC.
No inf file installed yet, but has inherited the old Nokia 446Xpro inf it seems.. 😜

Works 'fine', I think (?).
Granted, I haven't tried the 'real resolution' (1680x1050) in win98 yet (impossible with current driver) - only the XP machine. Which I find too fine/'small' anyway, prefer 1280x960 or 1152x864.

Is there any way to create a custom resolution of say 320x200 or other sub 640x classics for DOS, and which does NOT use 70hz(noise).
I only get 720x400 as is(automatically when in DOS/startup), with my FX5200 (don't laugh! 😅 ).
I might have to change the VGA card into something older for that to work (?).

Reply 9 of 13, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some time ago the power supply in my main rig died so I used my Win98 machine for a week. I remember having to run Powerstrip to get WS modes on my TNT2 video card. Dunno about ATI cards though.

I thought about getting the HP LP2475w too but it IS missing VGA in, The price on the Dell is a little sweeter and I just think the aesthetics of the Dell is more pleasing to the eye. Other then that the panels seem the same.

Reply 10 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Another utility using Powerstrip, is to extract the monitor's hardware information directly from the monitor and save it in the INF format. And you can "update" the driver in device manager to reflect this. Most of the time, Windows will just display the monitor as "Plug and Play Monitor" because the actual hardware information is not detected. After pointing the device manager to install this inf file, the actual name of the monitor will be displayed. (Windows may complain that the hardware driver is not digitally signed. But it does not matter, as always.)

You can even use this method to find out what make is your notebook's LCD.

Reply 11 of 13, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot for the info people. 😀

bestemor wrote:

Is there any way to create a custom resolution of say 320x200 or other sub 640x classics for DOS, and which does NOT use 70hz(noise).

I think this is impossible, because the old IBM VGA standard is hard coded to run at 70Hz.

bestemor wrote:

I only get 720x400 as is(automatically when in DOS/startup), with my FX5200 (don't laugh! 😅 ).
I might have to change the VGA card into something older for that to work (?).

I think it's very unlikely that any change of graphics card will alter this. I think you're stuck with 720x400 @70Hz. You'll be able to get 640x480 @60Hz, but that's only with a VESA graphics mode, and not with VGA.

Reply 12 of 13, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Malik wrote:

extract the monitor's hardware information
the actual hardware information is not detected.

Uh, this is a bit contradictory, no? If Powerstrip is able to extract the monitor's hardware information, surely Windows ought to be detecting it?

Reply 13 of 13, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Jorpho wrote:
Malik wrote:

extract the monitor's hardware information
the actual hardware information is not detected.

Uh, this is a bit contradictory, no? If Powerstrip is able to extract the monitor's hardware information, surely Windows ought to be detecting it?

That's what I thought too. My notebook's actual max resolution is 1920x1080, but Windows detected it as 1600x1200 max possible and no info on the manufacturer.