VOGONS

First post, by yuhong

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I read that this was so controversial that some boards lets you choose between both when buying them back in the days, or even had both built-in that you could select with a jumper. What do you think?

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm I never heard of that...

But I do think that Award BIOS was more popular. AMI went downhill when they introduced that "windows stype interface". From there onward is was pretty much Award.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

The WinBIOS had mouse support. And I think it was actually text mode (run it with a CGA or MDA card). That would be ~4k more ROM memory required for the graphics font map. I like(d) it.

1+1=10

Reply 3 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I also liked it. The mouse feature was pretty cool. I had this BIOS on a AMD 486DX4-100 machine.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I thought AMIBios jumped the shark when they got rid of WinBIOS and their Award-ish boot screen. It's a plain series of whatever with a logo on top 🙁

bird cursor ftw

I think it's 640x350x16 or some odd text mode. Certainly looks 640x350x16

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I like the windows bios also. First time I saw it (I never knew it existed!) my jaw dropped to the floor 🤣!
A DOS computer with a windows bios hehe 😀

I've found I need to browse through a new bios to look for things regardless of make and year. I don't really like Phoenix bios though, they're usually very limited.
One good thing about Phoenix bios (atleast I think it was Phoenix bios) is when you want to quit, you only need to press -enter- and not have to type in the 'y' (which is annoying when fiddling with the bios in the dark 😜 )

Btw, the windows bios is I think the quickest way to test those old mice to see if they are confirmed to work 😀

Reply 9 of 11, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

IIRC it didn't support all old mouse protocols.

That reminds me, I used to have an old Packard Hell laptop, where the WinBIOS didn't even support the built-in mouse (some weird deal which used the J-key as a pointing stick). Not a very well thought out design, there, I say. 🤣

Reply 10 of 11, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I didn't like it much, I only like AWARD BIOS type interface which is why I don't like ASUS,
my main problem with the WinBIOS was that on the Compaq Deskpro 4000 that I have it on, you had to have a separate partition for the BIOS so when I reformat I forget and lose the BIOS, otherwise you have to boot into the BIOS on floppy disk which is sooo annoying.