VOGONS

Bought these (retro) hardware today

Topic actions

Reply 181 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I love mixing old stuff with new items. A PS/2 optical mouse, a new black Case and DVD burner, silent CF cards, nice LCD monitors. That's all fine with me 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 182 of 52721, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I love mixing old stuff with new items. A PS/2 optical mouse, a new black Case and DVD burner, silent CF cards, nice LCD monitors. That's all fine with me 😀

yeh i prefer those things too than the aging beige stuff, except i prefer the look of a brushed aluminum silver ... hmm i'm thinking of designing my own custom case now... at least the faceplate and panels... that'd be a cool project (ok i have to get that SC-55Mkii first thing!)

besides, my Sony CRTs are already past their prime anyway. The blues are already washed out, they're set at 99/100 and the red and green are set to 40-50 to compensate, which lowers the contrast.

i was thinking of getting an el cheapo used 22" Trinitron FD-based CRT, but must be very careful about its colors or it will only be an unsightly burden to me

Reply 183 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those CPUs I won last week arrived today.

I only took pics of the interesting CPUs. I also got a ton of PIIIs, a PII Celeron, 2 AMD 64s, 1 AMD Athlon, 1 P4

Some 486s have coolers mounted. They seem impossible to remove. 1 486 has no markings at the bottom. No clue what it is...

There is a K6-2+ 550 but I need to see if it will work on my boards (which are still not here).

Also got these AT to ATX power cables...

486 CPUs:
dsc01751n.jpg

Socket 7 CPUs:
dsc01756s.jpg

AT to ATX cables:

dsc01747z.jpg

Reply 184 of 52721, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Finally got myself that SC-55MkII 😀 Plus an Audigy 2 ZS 'gold' for my Win98 'final edition' rig...

sorry no exotic items like Mau1wurf1977's above 😁

i have also found someone selling some AM2 Athlon 6400+ black edition CPUs (also planned for the Win98 'final edition' thing), but the price is still high ~$60 at this moment.

Reply 186 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Finally! I got my Super Socket 7 boards!

Both are booting fine. I wasn't sure which one I should use, but the boards made the choice for me. The Aopen doesn't have a setting in the BIOS to disable L1 cache 😳

So easy choice (I love it when you don't need to wreck your brain over what part to pick 😁). The Aopen also has a odd layout with the power and floppy ports in a really weird spot.

None of my new S370 coolers fit, but the board came with one. I removed the fan and put one from my new S370 coolers onto it.

Will do heaps of testing...

dsc01770q.jpg
dsc01771u.jpg
dsc01777g.jpg

My test bench / fun corner. This is another board though.dsc01740ov.jpg

Reply 187 of 52721, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:

Finally got myself that SC-55MkII 😀 Plus an Audigy 2 ZS 'gold' for my Win98 'final edition' rig...

I thought Audigy 2 doesn't rupport Win 98. IIRC, Audigy 1 is the latest Creative Sound Card that support 98.

Reply 188 of 52721, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
archsan wrote:

I thought Audigy 2 doesn't rupport Win 98. IIRC, Audigy 1 is the latest Creative Sound Card that support 98.

Not the first edition i guess, but Win 98 SE is officially supported:

from here :

Works with the Following Standards […]
Show full quote

Works with the Following Standards

• Windows® 98SE, 2000, ME and XP
    Supports Windows XP SP2
    Sound Blaster MIDI and General MIDI
    Plug and Play Sound Blaster PCI
    EAX, EAX ADVANCED HD*

[...]

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Both are booting fine. I wasn't sure which one I should use, but the boards made the choice for me. The Aopen doesn't have a setting in the BIOS to disable L1 cache

Three ISA slots over two made the choice for me 😮

Reply 189 of 52721, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
archsan wrote:
archsan wrote:

Not the first edition i guess, but Win 98 SE is officially supported:

I see! Thanks for the info. I'm looking for an Audigy sound card for EAX support in my 98 system, and I thought my choice is capped on Audigy 1.

Reply 191 of 52721, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Finally! I got my Super Socket 7 boards!

Both are booting fine. I wasn't sure which one I should use, but the boards made the choice for me. The Aopen doesn't have a setting in the BIOS to disable L1 cache 😳

So easy choice (I love it when you don't need to wreck your brain over what part to pick 😁). The Aopen also has a odd layout with the power and floppy ports in a really weird spot.

Told you the iWill was the way to go. 😁 Hope it serves you well.

Reply 192 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea it's been bery good so far! Excellent layout. Just like "modern mainboards". Allows for some clean cabling.

However I can't find a new BIOS to support the K6-2+

The Aopen board was no problem. It's all on the Aopen site and the K6-2+ 550 works like a charm!

Reply 193 of 52721, by archsan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I see! Thanks for the info. I'm looking for an Audigy sound card for EAX support in my 98 system, and I thought my choice is capped on Audigy 1.

no problem 😀 i always had an inexpensive Audigy1 OEM myself since the days of ME. Now used ZS cards are getting almost cheap and you can always get one in good condition for less than ~$40 now (hint: try classified section at CHIP.co.id or kaskus if you're buying in ID). They come and go pretty quickly, but fortunately they come up often, just gotta be quick. I'll get some backups later when they get even cheaper 🤑

Malik wrote:

Yes, Audigy 2 works with Windows 98 SE onwards. I'm using Audigy 2 ZS with W98SE.

A2 & A2ZS (SB0350) were released in 2002 and 2003 respectively, already in the XP timeframe so all the games that support them (i.e. EAX AHD 4.0) will run on XP, but A2ZS is the best of all Audigy series that still works with Win9x so retro Win9x-ers should go for it (esp. the 'gold-plated' version!) 😁

Reply 194 of 52721, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea it's been bery good so far! Excellent layout. Just like "modern mainboards". Allows for some clean cabling.

However I can't find a new BIOS to support the K6-2+

It's here:
http://web.inter.nl.net/hcc/J.Steunebrink/k6plus.htm

The trouble is getting the correct bios flasher. If the bios is not there, it could be the original bios already has support for it.

Reply 195 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea I found that page, but the link ends up taking you to a fake site.

I had to pay a few bucks to finally get the BIOS. I used the AWARDFLASH that was the mainboard CD in the tools folder. Worked perfectly, however the BIOS has a "Flash protect" setting which you need to change first. Took me a while to find this out. RTFM FTW 🤣

I uploaded the latest BIOS for both boards on my "Super Socket 7 thread" if anyone ever needs them.

So now the K6-2+ works in both boards. I use the Iwill however. So far I found these great advantages:

- Excellent layout for neat cabling
- 3 ISA slots
- L1 and L2 settings in BIOS
- Allows you to select the FSB in BIOS (from 66 to 100 and a few settings of overclocking)

Reply 196 of 52721, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

My CF cards arrived!

Still waiting on a 4GB (only costs a few bucks more than the 2GB ones).

I also got new CF>IDE Adapters.

With the last adapter I used, I wasn't sure about DMA mode. The POST screen would show "PIO Mode 4".

So this adapter the eBay description clearly mentioned DMA mode. And I can confirm it supports DMA 33!

So if you are wondering about your CF performance, check your CF>IDE adapter. It likely isn't a DMA enabled one.

dsc01810n.jpg

Interesting CF>IDE adapter which allows you to remove and insert the CF card from the read and avoid having to open the case

dsc01811h.jpg

dsc01813i.jpg

dsc01814nd.jpg

UDMA 33 working!

dsc01815q.jpg

Reply 197 of 52721, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Got this for my dual Pentium Pro rig

(click on the image for bigger size)
0c1a85100671664.jpg

It's new in box never opened, have another one like this I bought last year but been waiting to find another one for a reasonable price

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 198 of 52721, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
Got this for my dual Pentium Pro rig […]
Show full quote

0c1a85100671664.jpg

It's new in box never opened, have another one like this I bought last year but been waiting to find another one for a reasonable price

That's interesting, I never knew they made those. What does this thing look like outta the box, so where is the cache mem?

Reply 199 of 52721, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bushwack wrote:
Amigaz wrote:
Got this for my dual Pentium Pro rig […]
Show full quote

0c1a85100671664.jpg

That's interesting, I never knew they made those. What does this thing look like outta the box, so where is the cache mem?

I'll do an "unboxing" and take some pics

The interesting thing with this CPU is that it has the L2 cache on the die at full speed like the original Pentium Pro so it's the only Pentium II cpu that has this feature

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327