VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've finally found the time to install and play the original Half-Life, which for some reason I didn't manage to finish when it came out. I have Half-Life, Opposing Force and Blue-Shift on CD's, and I'm playing in Win7 x64.

The game works pretty well so far, though it seems to be quite buggy even after installing what I think are the latest updates (getting stuck in elevators, etc.). Just as I remember it (; .

Anyway, I'm wondering about which updates to apply, and in which order. AFAIK, the latest non-Steam CS version (I've installed the mod version for giggles) is v1.5, and it updates HL as well (cant remember to which version). The latest HL update I've found is v1.1.1.0, which seems to also update Opposing Force (which makes sense, since OF is installed like a mod, where BS lives in its own directory and has its own executable). For Blue-Shift I've found an update "bspatch.exe" which updates the game (and the high definition pack) to v1.0.0.1. There's also "Half-Life: Blue Shift 6.1.0.6 patch", but this actually says something about updating Opposing Force to a version lower than the one given in the HL v1.1.1.0 update, so I didn't install this one.

To make it short, I've installed:
HL
OF
BS (+Hi-Def)
CS
HL v1.1.1.0
BS v1.0.0.1

Is this order OK, and do I need anything else?

Sound-wise, there's two weird things. The first one is that he reverb effect applied in some "cave-like" structures seems to be way too strong, and also "additive". This lead to some areas where the "reverb on reverb on reverb..." chain leads to every single sound effect sounding like someone is strumming a giant bass guitar slowly. Is this a known problem? I don't use any of the 3D audio stuff.

I've also noticed that there's no reload sound for the Colt Python (or "Magnum") at all. All other projectile weapons produce appropriate clicking sounds when reloading, only the Python is silent. I couldn't find anything about this issue on the web, so I'm starting to believe it's a feature, not a bug. On YouTube I've found a couple of vids from a guy playing the german HL via Steam, and in those vids the reload is quiet as well, which hints towards a "feature".

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2010-09-06, 20:31. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 1 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

3d audio in hl rocks do you have it set to eax or a3d ?

ps: what sound card do you have

my hl is 1.1.1.0
Half-Life: Opposing Force Version 1.1.0.9

Dont have BS installed cos it sucks 😉

pps: python reload sound is ok for me

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 4 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Guys, this isn't very helpful. I don't want to discuss STEAM or the quality of HL mods/addons here.

In the meantime I did some additional testing. After installing HL (no updates), the Python makes a small "click" noise at the end of the reload cycle. Opening the barrel, ejecting the empty cartridges and loading the fresh cartridges is completely silent. After installing "Half-Life Full v1.1.1.0 Update" the "click" sound is gone as well, making the reload cycle completely silent. Anyone care to describe the reload sound on their HL install?

Davros: playing on a notebook, so no 3D sound for me for the time being. I've been thinking about getting a USB soundcard though.

Reply 5 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possible you found a bug. Time for you to download a ton of different HL updates and compare them! 😁

Do you want to know if the sound is there on someone else's standalone HL or the Steam HL or both?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 6 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Heh, that whole updating business is complicated enough as it is, thanks a lot (; . It's amazing how little information about HL and the addons is available on the web.

I'd be interested in the Python sounds from both versions. It's a minor issue really, but I'm reminded of it each time I reload the damned gun, which happens quite a lot when playing on the highest difficulty level. You know, the pink rhinoceros effect.

Reply 7 of 15, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I never heard the Python reload noise other than the 'chamber rolls in' at the end in any version - old '98 retail up to the latest patch as well as the steam versions. Perhaps you're imagining the extra noises or probably played a mod that added more sound events to the model or something.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nah, I wasn't saying I'm _missing_ a sound, I was saying that it seems odd that the reload cycle is completely silent. Last time I've played HL was in 1998/99 or so, so I couldn't remember the sounds anyway, even if I wanted to (; . As I've said, I've found two videos from two different people where the reload is silent as well. Plus the little test I've described above. I dare anyone to check their HL v1.1.1.0 and/or STEAM version(s) for the Python reloading sound - I bet a roasted Headcrab that there's no reloading sound for the Python with those versions.

On a different note: man, the game is hard on the highest difficulty level! It's amazing what the Valve guys managed to do with the Quake engine which was already 2+ years old when HL came out.

Reply 9 of 15, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Addict you said your now running hl unpatched
BE VERY CAREFULL

either the original version or an early patch contained a bug in the uninstaller when you uninstalled the game the parent folder would be deleted
not so bad if you installed in program files\seirra\half life, but if you installed in c:\games\half life your games folder would disappear. if you installed in c:\halflife your c: drive would get wiped.

edit: just tested again and I have no reload sound for the python dont know why I said i did yesterday

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 10 of 15, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ah, so the game with that weird uninstall issue was Half-Life? I remember reading about that issue, but couldn't remember which game it was. Well, HL is pretty buggy anyway. Maybe it's because I'm running it on a modern system, but I got stuck in elevators and moving platforms quite a lot, had a few hard game crashes, disappearing/flickering graphics (especially when fighting the Nihilant), and a few other oddities.

Anyway, finished the game yesterday, and the Python is still reloading silently. The crossbow reload is silent as well. The silent reloads are quite annoying, as you have to make heavy use of the Python when playing on the hardest difficulty level or you'll die a lot, especially on Xen (constantly low on ammo, many enemies that kill you quickly).

EDIT: some spelling

Last edited by ADDiCT on 2010-10-18, 19:52. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 11 of 15, by psycoking

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sorry to revive an old thread, especially since it seems like you already finished the game, but I thought that I should mention that you can get Half-Life and its expansions for free on Steam by inputting your Half-Life CD-keys into Steam through the menu (Games>Activate a Product on Steam). I did this to add my Half-Life Platinum Collection to my Steam list. It works with all Valve games and even a few 3rd party games. The complete list of supported games is here. Unless you don't want to run Steam (which I realize some people do not like), doing this would be preferable to juggling old patches.

Reply 12 of 15, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thanks for the Steam advert but

Guys, this isn't very helpful. I don't want to discuss STEAM or the quality of HL mods/addons here.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 15, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Well, I had massive problems trying to get my original half-life and counter strike to work on win7 x64, I just couldn't get it to work properly at all.

So I did the same and put the Half-Life cd key into steam and got the platinum pack. The games work flawlessly (although only in opengl mode) and there is a patch/mod to use the original hi-res textures with blue shift and opposing force (not the one you can download through steam, which is broken). The only game I can't get to work is Gunman Chronicles... ah well.

Reply 14 of 15, by CrisGer

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have the original stand alone vanilla 1.0.1.0 version and it runs flawlessly and beautifully in XP SP3 Pro, NO STEAM. I hate steam with a passion. tho that is not the issue. I need to OWN the games i play lock stock and barrel and i dont like having to depend on an internet connection tho i know there is offline play..for many games Steam is very twitchy and a dumb dumb dumb thing to make everyone dependent on fragile infrastructure. ah well. Anyhoo, Half Life remains one of the classics and I am glad people are still playing it, and if your problem was solved with Steam, well that is a good outcome.

end of mini rant..we now return to the regular scheduled programming.

Admin
3D Worlds and Game Developers Group Linkedin
http://3dworldandgamedevelopers.blogspot.com/