Sound Card Recordings

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I can not do this in every case.
It would require to have the game here, installed on every system and running on every system.
Then I would have to rip out the specific sound card from a already running retro system, put it into the test system, reconfigure all off the software configuration...
But just playing a MIDI-file is much easier than getting every soundcard running in a setup where I can run every game.
And for example the OPL4 on the Mozart WaveTable card is not mapping to a common GM port in DOS, so I have to play through the Win 3.1 driver.
So any DOS game would not play there (I think the Miro PCM10 maps OPL4 to DOS GM port?!?).

Maybe record the Midi stream from within Dosbox. From my experience this works quite well and seems to be as original as possible.
If you would activate your ICQ account again, we could discuss the details there.

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 61 of 265, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

With General Midi it's very easy. You basically need 1 machine playing the game and another one which "captures" the midi data.

With DOSBox this should be possible with a single Midi interface (output going into the input).

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 62 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Why so complicated?
Dosbox has a function to capture the MIDI data and writes it to a Midi-File. You don't need any loopback, you probably don't need any real Midi device either...

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel

Reply 64 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So, I recorded everything again and a bit more. Overall about 4 GB wavs that are currently converted with lamedrop.

Youtube Channel

Reply 65 of 265, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cool.

Regarding recording, all I've been doing is installing the games and running them. I just set up the machine with the sound card in question and run the output to the line in on my main PC. No fancy MIDI setups, DOSBox or multiple machines involved.

All but one of the Soundscape cards use the same driver files so they are just plug in and go. Some of the cards I recorded within Windows 98 because it's super easy if the OS already has their drivers. The DBs just need some host card and an ESS or SB16 is simple to setup.

I didn't know you could capture MIDI data with Dosbox. That's interesting.....

Reply 66 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Ok it looks like all the updated files are available on swaayes page, so happy cross-listening...

Youtube Channel

Reply 69 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I have still a quickly put together system here for recording from OPL4 and Orchid SW32. So if you want to have some recording from these, say it now. I will disassemble the system in the nex days.
I can put it also on an audioserver live if someone has very specific interests 😉.

Youtube Channel

Reply 70 of 265, by Ace

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Teppic wrote:

I can provide some recordings from a Sound Blaster 16 if you would like.

Since swaaye declined your request for SoundBlaster 16 recordings, I don't want any recordings of old sound cards to go to waste. Mind if you make some recordings for me of your SoundBlaster 16?

Reply 72 of 265, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I did some some MT-32 recordings with Dark Forces (Intro). I was quite disappointed, most General Midi modules (Roland or Ensoniq) sounded better.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 73 of 265, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think Dark Forces was late enough that its music was optimized for GM and hamfistedly-mapped to MT-32.

I got the DOS CD-ROM version of X-Wing working on DOSBox 0.74 with my SC-88 last night. Noticed that X-Wing's music is tuned so tightly to the SC-55 that SC-88 mode sounds worse than SC-55MkII mode. I should probably record both.

Reply 74 of 265, by Teppic

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ace wrote:

Since swaaye declined your request for SoundBlaster 16 recordings, I don't want any recordings of old sound cards to go to waste. Mind if you make some recordings for me of your SoundBlaster 16?

You can find all my recordings on Youtube here:
http://www.youtube.com/user/Teppica

Reply 76 of 265, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey swaaye I had a listen to some of the SCD-15 recordings.

The first thing I noticed is that L and R are the other way round. E.g. in Doom the track starts with the drums on the left and the guitar on the right.

Star Forces intro seems to be the same issue...

Very strange... A good game to test channels for MT-32 is Wing Commander. In the room where you can save the games and view your rank, the water dropping into the bucket comes out on the left speaker (despite the animation being on the right 😀

For GM I use Doom. Drums on the left, guitar on the right.

Your GUS PnP Rom also sounds different to mine. I haven't tried any soundfonts, because I was only interested in the "original" good sound, but yea sounds quite a bit different... Mine is the same version as yours (PnP 1.0)

The AWE32 Rom recording however is identical to my AWE64...

Reply 77 of 265, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Your GUS PnP Rom also sounds different to mine. I haven't tried any soundfonts, because I was only interested in the "original" good sound, but yea sounds quite a bit different... Mine is the same version as yours (PnP 1.0)

That GUS PnPs have different ROMs is quite unlikely.
Just my guess: You used the GUS PnP in a GUS Emulation setup and it used the default 1 MB GUS classic patches. So check once more against the GUS 1 MB recordings. If just Effects are different but instrument samples are identical then you didn't heard the GUS PnP ROM.

Reply 78 of 265, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Gus Classic yea that sounds right.

I basically ran a file to make the GUS PnP compatible with DOS games that support the GUS Classic and selecting GUS in the setup menu (and not General Midi)

Coolies will listen to the 1MB recordings tomorrow...

Reply 79 of 265, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Made some X-Wing (DOS CD version) recordings of the opening and credits music that gets played between game launch to joystick calibration screen:

Roland SC-88 synth in SC-55 mode:
http://rapidshare.com/files/428035400/X-Wing_ … SC-55_mode.flac

Roland SC-88 in SC-88 mode:
http://rapidshare.com/files/428035396/X-Wing_on_SC-88.flac

Roland MT-32:
http://rapidshare.com/files/428038265/X-Wing_on_MT-32.flac