VOGONS

Common searches

Reply 20 of 64, by Xian97

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the original F.E.A.R. yet. That one made me jump several times with things suddenly appearing when I wasn't expecting them.

Reply 23 of 64, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Amigaz wrote:

¤Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday (C64), the first level scared the hell out of me when I was a youngster 😁

You mean the level when we meet SCOT.DOS on the first place? The level where party members, one by one, get insane until you find the appropriate medical station?
buckrogers-ctd-creepy.gif

Seconded. The level is so damn creepy. Not because it has zombies or ghosts or such, but because of the sense of mystery and uncertainty that ambiently creeps itself throughout the level. It doesn't matter that your party has the most kickass weapon when they one by one become insane.

On the other hand, monsters in Alone in the Dark can be bashed, shot, and killed. So it's not really that scary.

Reply 26 of 64, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Ravenholm in Half-Life 2.

I never liked that physics novelty demo. The scariness is only overplayed by the annoying poison headcrabs and the terrible nearest-neighbor filtered 11khz zombie moanies. It's a bad effort at scary at best... which is made even worse by instant autoloading of whatever after you die. No tension there.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 27 of 64, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

i'm surprised nobody's mentioned vampire savior yet

I have that for the Sega Saturn (along with Darkstalkers, Night Warriors etc...) and there's absolutely nothing scary about those games. It's just a classic arcade beat' em up 😀

Reply 28 of 64, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

i'm surprised nobody's mentioned vampire savior yet

Are we talking about the 2D fighting games series known as Darkstalkers in Europe ? Cause I do not know why you feel that is scary, but oh well 😀

Reply 29 of 64, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
leileilol wrote:

which is made even worse by instant autoloading of whatever after you die. No tension there.

I don't know why Valve didn't make an option to disable auto-saving, but of course you can self-administer a harsher death penalty. If you think the level lacks tension, try it on hard difficulty using only the crowbar; which becomes more about evasion than killing stuff. There are ways to dodge the nastier situations if you are quick and stay focused on getting the heck out. It may end up being more annoying than tense depending on your temperament, but you will really hate toxic headcrabs, and exploding barrels that can be useful tools become only hazards to avoid.

Reply 30 of 64, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Half Life 1. All of it. It scared the shit out of me when I was a kid.
Then there's FEAR, and Ravenholm in HL2 (which for me is a much much better game than its predecessor) and Silent Hill and tons of others.

Reply 31 of 64, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Xian97 wrote:

Surprised that nobody has mentioned the original F.E.A.R. yet. That one made me jump several times with things suddenly appearing when I wasn't expecting them.

That game didn't have any effect on me. Since I didn't expect something to happen I was usually looking the other way when it did. So all I knew was something happened but I missed it. The invisible ninja thing had potential, then I realized I could just position myself in a corner and kick him in the face at the right time.

Reply 32 of 64, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does anyone remember Deep Fear for the Sega Saturn? It used to creep me out quite a bit. I still own the game and might fire the old Saturn up and see how "scary" it seems these days 🤣

Reply 33 of 64, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:
You mean the level when we meet SCOT.DOS on the first place? The level where party members, one by one, get insane until you fin […]
Show full quote
Amigaz wrote:

¤Buck Rogers Countdown to Doomsday (C64), the first level scared the hell out of me when I was a youngster 😁

You mean the level when we meet SCOT.DOS on the first place? The level where party members, one by one, get insane until you find the appropriate medical station?
buckrogers-ctd-creepy.gif

Seconded. The level is so damn creepy. Not because it has zombies or ghosts or such, but because of the sense of mystery and uncertainty that ambiently creeps itself throughout the level. It doesn't matter that your party has the most kickass weapon when they one by one become insane.

On the other hand, monsters in Alone in the Dark can be bashed, shot, and killed. So it's not really that scary.

Yeah, that derelict spaceship can be very scary but I was refering to the spaceship at the start of the game with all the aliens and your party and weapons suck so it's equally scaring as the ghost ship 😀

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 35 of 64, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:

System Shock 2

vlask wrote:

Alien versus Predator 1 PC version, not gold one (gold one had saving option, original version not).

These. Also, while playing Fallout 1 in the dark in the middle of the night, The Glow and The Master both creeped me out quite a bit.

Reply 36 of 64, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Got another one...

Stalker Secret of Chernobyl some of the underground levels (X Lab or something like that). Poltergeist is all I will reveal 😀

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 37 of 64, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

2 of the scariest games I played the last years were AVP2 and FEAR.
Even online AVP2 regularly scared the sh1t outa me!!!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 64, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You can tell that some people haven't played the really nasty psychological horror games when they suggest AVP2, FEAR or oldies with cute graphics like Alone in the Dark 1. It's not that FEAR, Doom3 and AVP1/2 aren't atmospheric and unnerving but they just aren't at the top! 😁

Unless you guys are immune to Penumbra / Amnesia / STALKER / System Shock 2. Is that the case? I can't imagine that.

Reply 39 of 64, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SS2 wasn't that more scary and AVP1 for me, but I think that's because I was more afraid of dying in AVP1 due to the asinine (or novel depending on your point of view) save system. Also, the telekenetic monkeys in SS2 made it hard to take too seriously :p