Deschutes to Katmai

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
swaaye wrote:

These CPUs barely need fans, partly because of them being so low power (~20-30W) and partly because Slot 1 let them make nice big heatsinks. I love the big fanless OEM heatsinks of the day.

I agree 😀

Those slot 1 coolers were easy to keep cool 😀

Reply 41 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Here's an experiment you might like to try. Take either a "fast" P2, or any P3 that has an integrated fan, and disconnect its fan from the mobo. Then run it on a mobo that has an adequate temperature sensor, so you're reasonably confident that the reading is more or less sensible. Then, watch this temperature reading go up and up, as you use Windows 9x. Sooner rather than later, it'll get in to the 50s. Next, reconnect its fan to the mobo. Then, watch this temperature reading go down and down. It should drop by very approximately 25C, which is a lot.

Tip: you don't necessarily need a fast fan for slot 1 CPUs. So long as some air is passing through its heatsink "fins" area, that should be sufficient. I have found that the bigger the fan is, the better. Ideally, you want air passing through all of the fins area. For example, lashing a large slow quiet case fan to this area of the CPU works well.

Reply 42 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I saved a small batch of slot 1 coolers which would be ideal for cooling with a large fan 😀

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 43 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I think you're ok if the CPU runs under 70C. So if you can manage that without a fan, be joyous and live in silence.

http://www.intel.com/design/pentiumiii/qit/da … abase/SL35D.htm It sounds like 75C is a reasonable max, actually.

I find Socket 370 annoying because of the cooler limitations. Even though a Tualatin is only about 30W at 1400 MHz, it's hard to run fanless because the big Socket A CPU coolers won't fit with Socket 370 clearances and you can't use Slot 1 coolers on them obviously. 😀 But a very slow fan is usually adequate. I run a 5-volted 50mm on mine.

Reply 44 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I've been messing about with coolers recently, on socket 7 boards! I have an all copper socket A/462 heatsink on a skt 7 board, and I tried another all copper skt A cooler on a SS7 mobo. Very convenient, especially for crazy OC'ing experiments! 😀

Reply 45 of 62, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi,

I finally got a chance to try the fan the other day. It seems to work fine (Assuming I put it on the right way around. It blows away from the heatsink).

Thanks for your help

Reply 46 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A CPU fan needs to blow air in to the fins of a heatsink. The fan's head needs to be pointing at the heatsink fins. You can tell where the head of a fan is located by looking at its wires. The end of wires are located at the head of the fan:

CPU | Heatsink | Fan head + end of wires | reverse side of fan (no wires at end) | fan cable...

Reply 47 of 62, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I've put it on the wrong way?

The side with the brand/info is pointing away from the heatsink. That's the same way the other fan was pointing.

Should I post a picture of it?

Thanks

Reply 48 of 62, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are almost always little airflow arrows on the body of the fan. Look around the side of the fan.

You need to have the fan blowing into the heatsink unless the cooler has a shroud to control airflow. Some coolers are designed with air suction in mind but most are not.

The Alpha PAL6035 was a cooler with a shroud. You could mount the fan either way.
http://www.dansdata.com/coolercomp.htm#Alpha%20PAL6035

Reply 49 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AdamP wrote:

So I've put it on the wrong way?

Sounds likely.

AdamP wrote:

The side with the brand/info is pointing away from the heatsink.

Usually, you point that end at the heatsink.

AdamP wrote:

That's the same way the other fan was pointing.

Interesting.

AdamP wrote:

Should I post a picture of it?

Yes please. 😀

AdamP wrote:

Thanks

You're welcome. 🤣 (I'm laughing at my OTT meticulous reply, because I'm a bit bored at the moment.) BTW, interesting info re: air suction Alpha fan!

Reply 51 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Rg100, if you are bored you could do some tests of wether sucking or blowing fans are better 😀

Hehe! I'll add that to my huge list of "retro jobs to do". 😀

Reply 52 of 62, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

P1010092.jpg

It certainly looks like it's supposed to be mounted that way.

On second thoughts, I don't actually know if it's blowing towards or away from the heatsink. I said away originally because when I put my hand over it, I could feel it blowing.

It's since occured to me that I could have just taken the fan from the SL35E or the SL2U7 😦, but those fans were rather noisy. They also have their fans' brand name/info pointing away from the heatsink.

P1010094.jpg

P1010095.jpg

I also put the old fan against the SL35E's fan and it seemed to fit both ways. And I can't remember for certain which way it was on before I took it off (I think the brand name was pointing away from the heatsink). On the old fan, there's an arrow pointing away from its brand name. I'll see if there's an arrow on the current fan.

Thanks

EDIT: I can't seem to find an arrow on the current fan or on the SL35E.

Reply 53 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think the first fan is the wrong way around, and the other 2 fans are correctly orientated. Can the first fan be "unclipped" from the fan holder's two protruding side clips, and then reversed? If this can be done, will the head of the fan (where the wires end) be pointing at the heatsink? If so, this will be the correct orientation.

Reply 54 of 62, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Every fan has a little arrow on one of the 4 sides. It points the direction the fan will be blowing 😉

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 55 of 62, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I checked again, and there's definitely no arrow on the fan.

Yes, the wire's end does point at the heatsink, but the fan doesn't fit properly the other way.

For reference, this is the fan I'm using (I have no idea why it's under hard drives).

P1010096.jpg

P1010099.jpg

If the worst comes to the worst, I'll see if I can use the fan from the SL35E.

Thanks

Reply 56 of 62, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Good photos. 😀 IMO, this looks perfect - the correct orientation. If you put your hand near this fan while it's on, the chances are you'll feel some breeze as the air flows in to the heatsink's fins, then "bounces back" towards you, as some of the air has effectively no where else to go. I guess that's what you felt, when you tried to determine which way the air was blowing. If the fan was pointing away from the heatsink however, you would feel an unmistakably stronger force.

Reply 59 of 62, by AdamP

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Are you sure it's not supposed to go on all the way? It fit nicely the other way around. Nevertheless, the computer works and I can feel it blowing, but not nearly as much as before. Does this look alright to you:

P1010104.jpg

Another thing:

Is 500mhz definitely not supported on this motherboard? The Packard Bell manual explicitly says it is supported.

P1010028.jpg

Thanks for your help