Common searches

Let's Play?

Topic actions

First post, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So who else is watching entire games be played on Youtube? This stuff is replacing nighttime TV for me. I look up games I read about but never played and then just get to drool and watch retro sound and imagery be displayed without any effort on my part! 😁

It used to be just "longplays" that I would search for but now this "let's play" thing is all the rage. There are so many games out there on the 'tube. It's really quite amazing.

I've started browsing Mobygames and then searching Youtube 🤣

Games I've watched
-Darkseed
-Amberstar
-Tex Murphy Pandora Directive
-Tex Murphy UaKM
-Mission Critical
-Star Trek Hidden Evil
-Shadowgate N64
-Menzoberranzan
-Dark Sun
-Nocturne
-Privateer 2
-Space Quest 4
-Critical Path
-Arx Fatalis
the list goes on. I've been doing this occasionally for over a year heh.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-11-02, 18:45. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 22, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Big fan here. Do enjoy this. Hey, I even watched one of yours! 🤣 (TIE Fighter battle 1 mission 5.)

Edit: I enjoy game reviews too. Recently watched amusing review of the thing.

Last edited by retro games 100 on 2010-11-02, 18:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 22, by Jan3Sobieski

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Same thing here. I believe it started with "Quake done quick" onto various speedruns, then longplays. Now, it's just regular play-throughs. Last one I watched was "Shadow of the Colossus." I don't have any consoles so I figured I'd never play the game anyways. To tell you the truth though, it spoiled a lot of games for me, seeing them from beginning to the end, especially the speedruns. For example, playing Super Mario Bros is not fun anymore 🙁

Reply 4 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

So far I've only done that for games I've already beaten that have alternate paths and/or endings that I don't want to take the time to play through again to see, such as KotOR and Deus Ex 2.

Reply 5 of 22, by WolverineDK

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A guy whom I enjoy watching making playthroughs is Darksydephil, who has spread his gaming stuff out on many channels, because his "main" account got shut down a few times in the past. But he is not a "lets player". The first playthrough I saw with him, was his playthrough of Resident Evil 5, and be warned his speech is not sugar coated, but it is NOT racist either. But he does have a so-called "bad mouth". His other "main channel" is THEKINGOFHATEHD . But I like his stuff, even though I am not really fan off, when he goes a bit homophobic in his speech. But other than that, then I really like his stuff.

Reply 6 of 22, by F2bnp

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah I like Let's Play. It really depends on the person though. I've watched a few with screenshots as well.
Sometimes they really help me out because there are some games that I just can't play because I hate their gameplay like Snatcher on MegaCD and Shenmue on the Dreamcast. But Snatcher is so much fun watching! Shenmue on the other hand is ridiculous and is just made so god damn good when this guy plays it : http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Shenmue/

It also helped me out with the Tex Murphy games. I loved Under a Killing Moon and Pandora Directive(my favorite FMV game and one of the best adventure games I've played), but I just couldn't stand the interface on Overseer. So I just watched a playthrough. Great fun!

Reply 8 of 22, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I used to like Let's Play when it was a short SomethingAwful novelty. Many Let's Plays are just there for attention and low-effort attempts at comedy, so it's a strong applicant of Sturgeon's Law.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 10 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sounds good!

Any easy tips how to splice videos into 15m chunks? I wish YouTube would do this on their end, it's quite a hassle.

Also few uploaders create a playlist. They auto play so you can watch an hour and never have to walk up to the PC...

I would also love to have DOSBox recording support Audio recording through the line input.

I have tried recording the Video in DOSBox and audio in Audacity but ran into trouble with the audio running out of sync. I didn't do much further investigation though...

Reply 11 of 22, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I used to watch the guy who took the pain to record every possible deaths in a Sierra game - King's Quest V, for example. Or leisure suit larry. And made me wonder - no one makes games like those days anymore! 🤣

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 13 of 22, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
Sounds good! […]
Show full quote

Sounds good!

Any easy tips how to splice videos into 15m chunks? I wish YouTube would do this on their end, it's quite a hassle.

Also few uploaders create a playlist. They auto play so you can watch an hour and never have to walk up to the PC...

I would also love to have DOSBox recording support Audio recording through the line input.

I have tried recording the Video in DOSBox and audio in Audacity but ran into trouble with the audio running out of sync. I didn't do much further investigation though...

I capture with either DOSBOX's internal capture or with FRAPS and set DOSBOX to OpenGL or D3D output. If using FRAPS, record at 60fps and then later decimate it to 30fps because it records smoother this way (vsync thing), assuming you have at least a fast dual core. Also, DOSBOX only captures the OPL3 music so you would need to use something else (like FRAPS) to capture other audio sources like wavetable synths.

To split things up you can use VirtualDUB or even Windows Movie Maker. Some people seem to time themselves at 10 minutes when actually making the recording. I just split it up after the fact. 15 minutes is the new limit yes. VirtualDUB does the decimate thing very easily. I doubt WMM can decimate video because it's very limited.

VirtualDUB has a Save option that lets you tell it to split automatically after a certain number of frames. So you can do some simple math for 15 minutes and it will make perfectly sized files for ya.

Reply 14 of 22, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I watched the Unreal one, but not all of it since Unreal has such a looong campaign!

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 15 of 22, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Davros wrote:

I would recomend the cinematics from legacy of kain + soul reaver
also the anachronox movie

I remember trying to play through anachronox a couple times. Kept putting it down because there was too much walking around and the combat seemed to be an afterthought. I stopped feeling bad about never finishing it when I read that it ended on a never-to-be-resolved cliffhanger due to being designed as a 2+ game story that never had its sequel(s) made.

swaaye wrote:

To split things up you can use VirtualDUB or even Windows Movie Maker. Some people seem to time themselves at 10 minutes when actually making the recording. I just split it up after the fact. 15 minutes is the new limit yes. VirtualDUB does the decimate thing very easily. I doubt WMM can decimate video because it's very limited.

VirtualDUB has a Save option that lets you tell it to split automatically after a certain number of frames. So you can do some simple math for 15 minutes and it will make perfectly sized files for ya.

I love VirtualDub! I've used it on and off as an AVI swiss army knife for almost a decade, and it's a free, open-source project that is still actively developed.

Reply 16 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hey most of these tips I had to find out the hard way recently...

Such a shame DOSBox can't record from line-in. I have done reording video in DOSBox and audio in Audacity, but the audio / video goes out of sync after a while. Its possible that DOSBox doesn't record on a time basis, but on a frame basis?

Fraps works fine, but there are games where even at 60fps the midi music slows down. PQ3 intro for example when the flashing lights start playing...

I will try another audio recording package, maybe Audacity is the reason why the sound goes out of sync. Hard to tell...

Movie Maker is the bomb regarding ease of use. But Virtualdub is necessary to resize / aspect correct videos. In Movie maker you can't tell it to resize using "nearest neighbour" and the videos turn out smooth and not pixely. So I usually prepare a RAW encode if you like in Virtualdub and then just use Movie Maker to add text and put it all together.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 17 of 22, by h-a-l-9000

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

DOSBox keeps its own time. When the CPU usage on the host is at 100% or some I/O request such as harddisk or screenbuffer swap take long it will quickly de-sync with the host time in order to provide a continuous emulated CPU speed to the guest. That's why you don't see the stuttering and lag in a recorded video that may have been there while it was recorded.

If you want to minimize this set the cycles to a value where it never reaches 100% host CPU usage.

1+1=10

Reply 18 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmm not sure if it's CPU related. I have a 3.2 GHz Phenom II quad and CPU usage is very small (0-2%)...

Screenbuffer swap sounds interesting. With fraps in Monkey Island 2 between scenes I do see small part of the scene, which then goes away before the final scene comes.

This doesn't happen in DOSBox recording. It seems to not record these "glitches" which might help solve my audio sync recording issues.

Another question:

I have created playlists for some of my videos. Yet when I search for them I find the videos but not as part of a playlist.

I want them to come up like this:

playlistra.png

Thans way you click on it and it shows you all the parts at the bottom and of course auto plays all parts!

Reply 19 of 22, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well I'll be damned, the slow music issue had nothing to do with fraps, but everything with the OpenGL render mode.

In PQ3 the music slows down in the intro when in opengl or openglnb mode. ddraw and surface are fine! Full speed...

How come fraps doesn't work with ddraw mode?

Uploading a video of the opengl audio slowdown issue

Video of the "opengl slowdown issue":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0MFjD_WBxCM