VOGONS

What is the best General MIDI synth for DOS games?

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 130, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

That and a MT-32 (Old) for Sierra games and Wing Commander. That's why I got two CM 64s, as a backup in case the CM-32L dies or something like that. CM-64s basically has 2 PCBs inside, a CM-32L board and CM-32P).

Now I saw some CM-32Ps up for auction, but not much point for DOS games...

do the MT32(old) and CM32L sound different in said games??

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 41 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks all of you, even you, Mau1wurf1977. I wanted to get this project done for a long time, being a retro freak. Hey can I ask you a bit of a favour? Have you played an old game called "Deathtrack"? I was wondering if you could compare the soundtrack between a 1G MT-32, an MT-100 and a CM-32L just to see if there are any differences? Thanks in advance! 😉 I was only curious because the in game race music sounds a bit terrible.

Reply 42 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Never heard of that game. When was it released?

keropi wrote:

do the MT32(old) and CM32L sound different in said games??

Yes they do! There are quite a few games which only sound 100% correct on the very first generation MT-32s.

In Heart of China when you step on the plane, there is a short animation where a stamp goes into your passport. On the MT-32 (Old) you hear a "THUMP / PUNCH" sound, on the newer units it's usually a "CLICK" and sometimes a cutoff "THUMP / PUNCH"

My recording with the MT-32 (Old): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N1GTr-27Ah8

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2010-11-30, 09:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 43 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It was released in 1989, and it was developed by Dynamix (before Sierra bought them out) and published by Activision.

Reply 44 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wocko1 wrote:

It was released in 1989, and it was developed by Dynamix (before Sierra bought them out) and published by Activision.

Well the CM-32L was also released in 1989, so we can rule out the use of the extra sound effects.

Leaves us with MT-32 (Old) vs. (New). Seeing it's Dynamix I would put my money on MT-32 (Old)..

PS: I make it a point calling them MT-32 (Old) because that's how Roland refers to them in their Service Notes!

EDIT: Happy to make a recording of Deathtrack on the MT-32 (Old) considering you have a MT-32 (new). Just let me know what you are looking for.

Reply 45 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, cheers for that mate! I'm looking for a recording using an MT-32 (old) so I could put up against my MT-100.

Reply 46 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
wocko1 wrote:

Hey, cheers for that mate! I'm looking for a recording using an MT-32 (old) so I could put up against my MT-100.

Well no custom patches for this game it seems. Give me sec...

http://www.mediafire.com/?d26880qprwdrbzd

Reply 47 of 130, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There's a list of old Roland MT-32 games that includes notes about which games sound correct on what type of Roland hardware you are using:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_MT-32-co … _computer_games

In this list, there are 9 games with a "(3) note marker" next to them. (3) = "Exploits software bugs of MT-32 (Old) modules' firmware; will on some occasions sound wrong on later-generation modules." I am confused about something: The (3) note above says "...sound wrong on later generation modules". Is an ISA LAPC-i considered to be a 1G or a 2G device?

Reply 48 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

Is an ISA LAPC-i considered to be a 1G or a 2G device?

Roland timline:

OLD:
MT-32 without headphone socket
MT-32 with headphone socket / MT-100
CM-32L / LAPC-I / CM-64
CM-500 / CM300
NEW:

LAPC-I is a CM-32 on an ISA card. CM stands for computer music and that was the module that Roland wanted you to buy (CM-32L or CM-64 or LAPC-I) if you where into playing games. CM-64 is a CM-32L + CM-32P.

I'm actually behind some changes to the Wikipedia article. Initially they had first, second and third generation. However when I got the Roland service notes I found no mention of a third generation units. So I cleaned it up.

There was MT-32 (Old) and MT-32 (New) and then there where the CM (Computer Music) devices...

And within the CM series LAPC-I, CM-32L and CM-64 are all identical when it comes to the MT-32 playback. The CM-500 is the only one which has a new bug, a faster vibrato. CM-300 is General Midi only.

So keropi is correct in saying the CM-32L is the module to go for, in terms of most games working 100%. It has the extra sound effects and no buffer overruns.

However I;m a big Sierra / Dynamix / Wing Commander fan, so for me a MT-32 (Old) is a must. The MT-32 also displays cute messages when you fire up a game. As seen here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HV8VvLRV3fA

Last edited by Mau1wurf1977 on 2010-11-30, 10:36. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 49 of 130, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Both of my MT-32 units are 2G. Oh well. I have a CM-32L. I'll have to tolerate any musical imperfections if I play any of those 9 1G MT-32 games. One of them is Dune 2 and is a classic. I remember the FM music option sounded a bit pathetic. BTW, a CM-300 exists!

Reply 50 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

BTW, a CM-300 exists!

Updated! CM-300 is General Midi only...

I also added a (3) to Wing Commander on the games list. The fireworks scene will clip on all later units. I put a detailed explanation in the YouTube video I linked above (in the notes section).

Reply 51 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

@Mau1wurf1977: Well I put your recording of good ole' Deathtrack on your MT-32(old) to my MT-100, and to be honest I couldn't pick the difference at all, so that answers that. Thanks heaps for the recording! But anyway, at least it sounds better than PC Speaker!

So it looks like a SC-55mkII and a MT-32(MT-100/LAPC-I/CM-32L) seems to be all you need for an ideal setup.

Reply 52 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well you all ready got a MT-100. The good thing as that you won't see the Buffer Overrun issue. Unfortunately a handful games won't sound 100% right either because they are meant for MT-32 (Old) or they use the extra sound effects of the CM series...

Bottom line is that whatever module you go for, 98% of games will work just fine, while a handful of games will sound good, but not 100% perfect.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 53 of 130, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Mau1wurf1977: Holy crap that's a nice synth collection.

When I decided to buy synths for DOS games a few years ago I knew I needed an MT-32 family and a Sound Canvas family synth for best compatibility. I ended up with an MT-32 (Old) and an SC-88 (with SC-55MkII compatibility mode), and I'm 100% happy with both.

I was most torn between getting an MT-32 (Old) for Sierra games and the cool messages and a CM-32L/CM-64 for extra sounds in some LucasArts games, but ended up with the former because it was easier to find.

The wikipedia page probably ought to be reformatted as a sortable table that lists all of the current info as column entries, plus which games support General MIDI but are composed primarily for the MT-32 family (e.g. the Xeen games). Maybe I'll look into that sometime when I'm bored.

Reply 55 of 130, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I wonder if I should give them a heads-up first or just do it and hope they like it better enough to leave it alone 🤣.

Reply 56 of 130, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:

I wonder if I should give them a heads-up first or just do it and hope they like it better enough to leave it alone 🤣.

Nah just edit away and see what happens. Note that the article tries to keep it simple and not go to much into depth / technical details.

Reply 57 of 130, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It would mostly be a formatting change of the current annotated game list, to instead present the same information in a table format.

Reply 59 of 130, by wocko1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here is my DOS rig so far... I'm waiting on the SC-55mkII atm

imag0085w.th.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us