VOGONS

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Pentium MMX 200Mhz system, dualbooting Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. Some days ago (because I rarely played DOS games and only played early Windows games which runs smoothly in Windows 2000) I decided to remove Windows 98 and fresh-installed Windows 2000.

I don't know why, but this newly-installed Windows 2000 tends to freeze often while I was playing game or browsing.

What should I do to resolve this issue?

Thank you very much.

Last edited by MatthewBrian on 2010-12-15, 00:21. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MatthewBrian wrote:

I have a Pentium MMX 200Mhz system, dualbooting Windows 98SE and Windows 2000. Some days ago (because I rarely played DOS games and only played early Windows games which runs smoothly in Windows 2000) I decided to remove Windows 98 and fresh-installed Windows 2000.

You might as well dispense with such old hardware entirely. Anything that runs smoothly in Windows 2000 can probably be run easily on a much faster computer than a P200.

MatthewBrian wrote:

I don't know why, but this newly-installed Windows 2000 tends to freeze often while I was playing game or browsing.

What should I do to resolve this issue?

Who knows? What else did you install? What other hardware do you have? Do you have the latest drivers for everything? Did you install Service Pack 3 and the other updates since then?

One more question: This PC has Yamaha OPL3 ISA sound card. Is it good?

Do you not like the way it sounds?

Reply 2 of 4, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:

You might as well dispense with such old hardware entirely. Anything that runs smoothly in Windows 2000 can probably be run easily on a much faster computer than a P200.

While this is obviously true, the whole point of this forum is for people to discuss using older computers 😜

MB, what -exactly- are your symptons?
Have you installed everything needed and in the correct order?

Reply 4 of 4, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I opened up the case and cleaned everything, reseated all the cards, and it seems that the soundcard slot was not tighten up properly. (I inherited this machine a few months ago, and never opened it up)

I reinstalled Windows 98 on it, and it runs quickly than ever.

Thank you very much.

@Jorpho: The soundcard sound was not clear (or somehow distorted) maybe because the slot was not really tighten. Since I reseated the slot, it is even better than my onboard Realtek on my Pentium 4 😁

Thank you very much for all your help here. 😀