VOGONS

First post, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A few days ago I've just received an AT computer with Socket 7 (or socket 5?) AT board. The PC was in very bad conditions - since it is retired at 2001 it is placed on an open air behind my friend's house. It is under the roof actually, but sometimes the rain would 'hit' the PC.

It has Intel Pentium 166 on the slot. The computer was really bare minimum - just case, AT motherboard, and processor. There is a harddrive (HDD sticker was removed and only has 500MB written with sharpie), but its PCB is splitted into two 🙁 Since it has no PSU and nothing else except a keyboard port, I decided to gut the contents 😀 The case itself is corroded.

I took the SDRAM (shocked that AT class PC had SDRAMs) and when I was about to remove the processor, it seems that the (metal) processor lever is somehow corroded (or stuck?) so it could not be lifted. (I know Socket 5/7 ZIF levers had to be moved a little to the right to lift it, but it could not be lifted upwards since it is very hard).

Is there any tricks to salvage the processor inside this creepy motherboard?

Reply 1 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sometimes even on perfectly fine motherboards the cpu will conly come loose if you apply power to the lever when lifting up (after you moved it sideways a bit so it doesn't hit the lil plastic thingy).
Many Socket 3 sockets seem to work that way.

And anyway, since the mobo is toast, you might as well apply a bit of brute force 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 13, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Brute force always wins 🤣

I pulled out a CPU once without moving the lever 😜

That lever is really for girly men (Zero Insertion Force) 😁

Reply 3 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Brute force always wins 🤣

I pulled out a CPU once without moving the lever

I had this happen on several occasions when trying to remove only the heatsink. The heatsink would be stuck to the cpu by hardened cooling goo and pull the cpu right out, even though I tried twitching the heatsink a bit. Doesn't seem kill the mobo though, at least not at once.

Edit: On several occasions, when trying to remove a heatsink from a 486-era chip, it would eventually come off, taking a large bit of the print with it! -_-
Maybe those heatsinks with half the print on them (in mirror of course -_-) thus have some value to collectors also 🤣!

Reply 4 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I think that applies to most people who've ever worked on a S478 or S754 system... concave IHS surface + flat heatsink + sticky thermal paste = aw, dammit. 😁

Reply 5 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I did that at work with a 3GHz Xeon once 😳
No bent pins, still worked OK, but took a bit of effort to get the CPU off the bottom of the heatsink 😜

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 8 of 13, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No one had this problem also with AM2 CPUs ? Happened to me some months ago. There was AS5 between the CPU and the standard AM2 cooler. The cooler didn't want to come loose, so I said 'to hell with it' and puller upwards: the CPU didn't offer much resistance, it came off nicely along with the cooler. No harm to either the mobo or CPU, but it was a pain later to remove the cooler from the CPU (flat knife + force=CPU - cooler) 😁.

Reply 9 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, AM2/AM3 and S939 are pretty easy to yank loose too... same deal as with 478/603/604/754, the tiny pins just don't have a lot of area for a retaining mechanism to grab onto.

Reply 10 of 13, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

A little twisting to break loose the paste is the key. If possible. The AMD retention bracket makes this a little bit trickier.

Last edited by swaaye on 2010-12-16, 00:56. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 11 of 13, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Finally I've managed to remove it by putting some I-forgot-the-brand grease-in-an-aerosol-bottle to the ZIF lever. It has no heatsink nor thermal paste, so I have nothing to be the handle for grabbing the processor directly 😀

The motherboard looks pretty ironic. Most of the SIMM slots and headers are corroded, and some circuit lines are somehow scratched by a sharp object. It has Award BIOS chip, two IDE and floppy, and a whole lot of PCI and ISA slots. It has Dallas clock, which is really nice so you don't have to worry about flat CMOS batteries 😀

Reply 12 of 13, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It has Dallas clock, which is really nice so you don't have to worry about flat CMOS batteries

No instead you just have to worry about flat Dallas clock chips 🤣

those things are actually pretty annoying as they are only suppsoed to last 10 years, so any boards that have them are almost certainly flat by now. I have a few myself. It can be hard to track down replacement chips in working condition. Apparently you can hack at the top of the chip to fit a CR2038 button cell battery holder to them but it seems like a lot of screwing around.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 13 of 13, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Apparently there are NEW DS12887A+ chips. The date code on them shows they were made in 2009. Dunno if they are DS12887A compatible, I guess they are.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-Dallas-DS12887A-DS128 … =item255fb2a12c