VOGONS

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I branched it off of this topic:
Re: Newbie

I'm sure every one's lists will differ a lot in details, which might result in an interesting read 😉

There are many different motherboard manufacturers out there. Some good, some not so good and some good only during a certain time period.

So here's my list:

Gigabyte:
Imo the best all-round manufacturer. All the ones I've used have lasted a long time without ever failing me. They are easy to setup, have tons of options in their BIOS, easy to install drivers and flexible to tweak and upgrade.
Afaik they tend to leave all of their older mobo stuff up for download, another +
Downside is that their boards are also very expensive.

Asus:
What is has in common with Gigabyte is their price. Some of their boards have risen to legendary status (SP3)
My very first computer used a P2B and it just keeps going! They seem to often run stable but when receiving an ASUS you run the risk the board may be of a bad batch or difficult to set up (A7V series, NF boards). Good BIOS options too.
I just LOVE the way ASUS leave ALL of their BIOS and manuals on their website for download!
One extra note: I noticed their boards often have undocumented settings that will actually work 😀
Downside: In addition to their boards being expensive, ASUS tends to pull of some proprietary stunts once in a while (Media slot, NV 6600 graphics card with different GPU soldered on, later revisions of the P5A not taking the K6 mobiles, the list is kinda endless) making them harder to set up when it comes to drivers.

Both ASUS and Gigabyte boards seem to have survived the capacitor plague rather well.

MSI: Imo the best value for money! Their current boards tend to be very cheap with good reliability for a low price. My 3 most modern rigs run MSI boards. The boards were cheap (All were under €60) and have given me little to no problems. They have limited BIOS options when it comes to tweaking and OC though.
Downside: The biggest downside is MSI boards tend to be bad during the caps plague, made worse by what I personally found were bad caps without any visual sign of damage. I try to avoid the MSI Socket A's solely for that reason. I'm not sure about their long term survivability. MSI tends to be easy on the drivers and, even though they often ship their boards with limited (early?) BIOS. I don't like it when I have to do a BIOS flash months after I buy a board. But at least they are cheap 😀

AOpen: I've had good luck with AOpen boards. The ones I had seemed to run very well. AOpen tends to sell high quality products under their name (Cases, PSU's).
When I get an AOpen (even if it's a dumpster find) I have good hopes of getting a stable system out of it 😀
I'm not sure about their Caps Plague (From now shortened to CP) boards though.

FIC: A friend of mine had a FIC mobo (PA-2005) and it's still in working condition 😀
Board quality seem to be quite above average but I'm not sure about their BIOS options.
One good thing about their older Socket 7 boards is, they can run with single SIMM's.
I never build a system with one myself, but if a FIC ever finds it's way in my hands, it's surely to find it's way near the top of my stack of "future rigs" motherboards 😉

Intel: Yep, they make and made boards also. I can be quite short on this one.
The boards are often of good quality but at the expense of tweakability and upgradability. Intel is known for making their boards run with only their stuff (even their 486 boards were rigged to only accepting Intel stuff) and they seem to purposefully make their boards not upgradeable. Intel WANTS you to buy a new board with every upgrade...a board which will have an Intel chipset usually. Buy Intel new means making your wallet go on a strict diet!
And their BIOS options are just...kinda crappy. But getting an Intel board in your hands does usually mean you can build a stable system around it, and that's a BIG +!
Many Intel boards found their way to Gateway and other oem's.

Chaintech: This one's difficult to put in a group. I used 2 of them in slot 1 builds and didn't have any problems with them...the short time I actually used them (slot 1's just too boring 😜 ).
They can be more tricky to ID. I found they can be ID'ed by the code on the BIOS sticker and the Chaintech logo on the chipset heatsink.
I use on of their boards for testing Slot 1 cpu's and I have to say, these Chaintech's are on top of my stack of Slot 1 mobo's when I want to build a new rig.
Can't say anything about their other boards as I never used them.
Board quality seems to be quite good. I have no idea how they fared during the CP.

PC Partner (NOT to be confused with PC Chips!!!).
Can be quite short on this one. Fairly unknown manufacturer. Their stuff seems to be made for oem's mostly. Their boards do seem to be reasonably flexible (good voltage support on their Socket 7 stuff) but they sometimes leave out onboard stuff.
I mainly mentioned PC Partner because it's still a LOT better then PC Chips.

Abit: I'm mixed about this one. Afaik they don't make boards anymore so aquiring manuals and BIOS updates may get to be a problem in the long term.
From what I've read they seem to be fantastic...if they work. And if they don't work you're simply toast.
They seem to have fantastic BIOS support for OC and tweakability.
Downside:Their boards suffer from the CP a lot.
I've only ever bought one Abit, a KV7V, and had no end in trouble. It was the most unstable POS I ever bought new. It would often not even make it through counting the memory without locking up and it was impossible to install an OS on it. Not even 9x would install. Mind you, even though I may have simply gotten a bad board, these boards seem to be extremely problematic. Best is if you aquire this board by gift/dumpsterdive.
I have kept the board though, it's my standard Socket A test board.
The good thing is, they seem to be one of THE preferred boards when it comes to overclocking. Their BIOS options are very good, even in the KV7V I never got to work 😉
So anyways...if yours works, you should be ready to go!

A-Trend: Only ever seen 2 of these, and couldn't get it to post.
A-Trend is difficult to find firmware and manuals for and their board quality seems to be somewhat below the average, but only somewhat.

Jetway:Never build a system around one, but a friend had 2 Jetways with lots of problems only solved when he upgraded to Asrock (not exactly a top tier name itself). Their board quality does seem better then cheap and crappy though, when finding a P3 or earlier board, I may give them the benefit of the doubt.
Better not be needing an older BIOS though, they aren't exactly vintage friendly.

ECS: I found many of these boards early in their stage of life (What I mean is, finding a Socket A on the street when it's still recently new), mainly because there was something wrong with them.
Board quality is usually low. If I ever find one, it'll quickly disappear on the bottom of my "stack of future rigs mobo's".
The only exception is their 486 stuff. In contrary to PC Chips, the 2 Socket 3 ECS boards I own seem to be of same quality build as any of the other good boards in that age.
They seem to be unreliable both in stability and survivability.

And now the last one. The very bottom of the barrel. This one's so well known for it's crappyness I need not bother typing their name down...but for completeness...
PC Chips...who else!
When getting a PC Chips, the first problem is that they seem to be a challenge to actually identify. Most of their boards are of very poor quality but some of their boards can actually be quite usable. A friend of mine had a PC Chips during the P1 mmx time and I do have to say, it would work pretty well, even when playing Total Annihilation online.
Their BIOS options seem to be better then average. Only problem is, usually their boards can't run at higher speeds anyway because of their poor quality.

Notable board manufacturers I didn't mention:
Biostar
DFI
DTK
EpOX
Iwill
Octec
QDI
Shuttle
Soltek
Soyo
Tyan

Reply 1 of 58, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Gigabyte are pretty solid these days although some of their earlier stuff can be a bit shifty. I remember they came out with a 'dual power' motherboard with an optional voltage regulator module you could plug into it, and I knew a couple of people who bought them and had a lot of issues.

I owned a Chaintech Slot 1 i440LX board back in the late 90s, that board ran for about 7 years with no issues. Probably the most reliable computer I ever owned. I only wished that it was an i440BX so I could upgrade to a 100MHz FSB CPU or a P3 🤣 I was stuck with a 266MHz Pentium 2 for years. Tried a Slocket adapter with a socket 370 celeron but it wouldn't POST.

I can echo your sentiments about ECS and PC CHIPS. I owned an ECS socket A board and it was terrible, upgraded to an Asus board within a year. I've got about 3 PC CHIPS 486-era boards currently in my possession and they either have no L2 cache, or they have the dreaded fake cache chips. They seem very unstable too.

I used to come across a LOT of Octek boards back in the Socket 7 Pentum days and they seemed pretty reliable. They were popular, I'm not sure whether that was because they were merely cheap or had a good reputation, but they seemed pretty solid, can't think of any issues with them.

Reply 2 of 58, by MatthewBrian

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Quite same. My favorite manufacturer is Gigabyte and Asus, mainly because their reliability are high, although with slightly higher price.

I have recently acquired an Intel motherboard, and it is quite good and reliable although the overclocking functions are removed 😀

Some other boards I had is an Jetway Socket 7 (never tried it 😁), IBM Socket 7 (quite reliable although sometimes freezes), and the most reliable (I think 😁) is an Kentech Computer Corporation 80286 along with its punched-in Am80286 processor. (I don't know the name for the slot which the processor is 'punched' down onto the slot 😁). It resides on an IBM PC AT clone which I acquired some years ago along with Seagate ST238R harddisk which died because I mistakenly put a big speaker near that thing 🙁

Reply 3 of 58, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Great post Tetrium. My favourite boards are Epox EP-8KTA3+Pro (KT133A chipset), and Asus P2B (i440BX chipset). I've mentioned the following info before in other posts, so please ignore the rest of this post if it sounds familiar..

I like the Epox board because you can run a mobile barton XP-M 3000+ rated chip in it. If the caps aren't too rotten, it overclocks to 150 FSB with this chip, giving you a real clock speed of 2.5 GHz. It's got 1 ISA slot, so you can shove in an old sound card, and mount a wavetable daughterboard on to it, for a complete retro sound solution. Some candidates are SB clones such as Opti, ESS and Crystal.

I like the Asus P2B because it can run at 150 FSB with a Powerleap adapter, with a Tualatin chip, giving you a real clock speed of approx 1.6 GHz.

Reply 4 of 58, by vlask

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Gigabyte - if you want mb for a 2 years, its ok, when you need it use 3 years, then you have 80% chance for dead MB. About 90% s754/s939 MB we sold already died. About 70% mobos sAM2 mobos with nforce 520/560 chipset died too. We stopped selling gigabyte after we realised that am2 mb are dying even faster than s754/939.

Asus - dying much less than gigabyte, better quality, higher prices, very bad bios - all versions have about twice more bios updates, than other manufacturers. Also sometimes very picky about memory modules - often doesnt work and memtest doesnt show it, it just random crashes. Mine favourite bios error is disabled PS2 mouse output after you awake computer from sleep - seen on many mb/notebooks. Still we are using Asus on more expensive PC we sold, because theres not better manufacturer here (just must flash newest bios 😉 ).

ASRock - actual best maker for cheap PC. Very cheap, many outputs, good bios, crazy chipset combinations, but it usually works. Early models had problems with capacitors.

MSI - never liked em. Very bad errors in bioses. And incompatibility problems - seen MB that worked only with AGP graphic card from MSI. Also seen nforce 2 MB with fan speed shutdown, when it went lower than 4000rpm, pc shutdown. So that unhappy customer had to use 6000rpm very loud cooler, because no newer bios with repair wasnt available. Also they using very small active coolers on some mb (nforce3/4), which usualy die after 2/3 years and then customers fry their chipsets (never buy MB with active chipset cooling).

Jetway - very cheap, plain, basic bios, but stable. Almost all had bad capacitors after 2-3 years. Still beter than today, cause when you changed capacitors, you could use them many years. When die MB today, no change of capacitors, it just fry chipset of something else - no easy repairs. But dunno how good are recent mb, they almost stopped selling them here when Athlons 64 came.

ECS - same as jetway, but more durable

Intel - very plain bios, are dying same as other mobos, almost no ports, not cheap -> no reason to use them.

Abit - mine favourite ones. Very expensive, overclocking friendly, had capacitors problems at pentium 3 mobos, later is ok. Too bad they ended - still using mine core 2 duo 8400 at abit IP35 Pro MB clocked to 3600MHz.

Not only mine graphics cards collection at http://www.vgamuseum.info

Reply 6 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
vlask wrote:

-snip- nforce -snip-

I never liked NForce boards. Never really understood why they were supposed to be so great. I have some vague feeling the post-XP NForces are prone to dying.

I've always preferred VIA (Socket A DDR and later) since they worked for me.

Frankly, I've read a lot negative posts about MSI and I'm aware I might've simply dodged the bullet for now. Anyhow, so far so good!

Were the Gigabytes you sold by any chance NF boards?

And I suppose that, since you're a professional PC builder, you use only quality PSU's, right?

Tell me more! 😉

vlask wrote:

ASRock - ...crazy chipset combinations

I totally agree with you there! 😉 I love Asrock for doing that. In the years to come, I'm pretty sure those boards will be very wanted by future vintage collectors ;D

Reply 7 of 58, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
vlask wrote:

-snip- nforce -snip-

I never liked NForce boards. Never really understood why they were supposed to be so great.

BECAUSE ITS THE WAY ITS MEANT TO BE PLAYED(tm)!!!! Tinny sound, broken networking.... the nVidia nforce is THE gamer's choice! Couple it with the powerful Geforce FX and you're ready for next generation gaming courtesy of industry standard bar-setter nVidia.

If you disagree, then DAWN WILL MURDER YOU!
Dawn-pic2.jpg

NVIDIA NVIDIA NVIDIA NVIDIA THE WAY IT'S MEANT TO BE PLAYED NVIDIA NVIDIA NVIDIA NVIDIA

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 8 of 58, by unmei220

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess it all comes down with how much luck each of us had with different manufacturers. If you bought 20 mobos from brand A and none of them were faulty, you would love brand A. If another person bought just one of brand A and it came faulty, he's gonna curse that brand and talk bad about it everytime he can.

For my part, all the PCChips boards I came across over the last 20 years all were in perfect working condition. Even today that boards still works, I have 5 of those boards myself: an M912, M520, M550, M571, M598 and M741 and all are working ok. I'm not talking about performance or anything like that here, just about durability. They're also the more fun to play with because of all the hidden disabled BIOS features and the register tweaks you can do to get the performance up. Of course, if I had to buy them in the time they were popular, I would had to avoid them the best as I could, but now they're fun to play with.
In the contrast, I had always hear that Soyo boards were good, but for me, all the ones I came through were horribly bad: bad caps, broken chips, not working, etc.
Also don't like ASUS boards. Almost always you have to download a BIOS update to get something working. Happened to me with a M3N78-EM board and a 7750 Athlon. If you didn't upgrade your BIOS, the CPU temperature would reach higher than 70º temperature.

For now I had very good luck with BIOSTAR mobos, my main PC uses a Gigabyte mobo and sadly the green line out from the back stopped working, so just for that i'm not buying Gigabyte again.

As I said, I think it all comes down to how much luck you have.

Reply 9 of 58, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Thoughts:

Gigabyte: I liked them before they were well-known. Used their GA6BXC i440BX board for my PII-450. That board was mentioned for a long time in nVidia driver release notes as having a below-spec AGP voltage regulator, but I think I had a later revision that fixed the issue (although I did perform a workaround just to be sure).

EVGA: I can't believe noone has mentioned this company yet. They're good about releasing regular BIOS updates, and they have some of the most overclocker-friendly boards on the market right now (partially because their BIOS option screens have more options than those of most other major motherboard manufacturers). They also have a really good forum community full of customers who collaborate on overclocking efforts. My current P55-based system uses an EVGA E657 motherboard, and I've got my Core i7 860 overclocked from the default 2.8Ghz to a stable 4.2Ghz.

Asus: I feel that they've always been a bit overrated. They tend to get caught up in gluing extra features to their boards without enough regard to stability. I have a system with an Asus A8N-SLI Premium (or was it Deluxe?) and its secondary SATA controller stops working whenever I have an Asus Xonar DX sound card installed.

nForce: I only cared about the nForce2 with SoundStorm audio chipsets, as they were the first to bring Dolby Digital Live to the PC. Creative then bought Sensaura in order to kill SoundStorm by making it too expensive for nVidia to continue production of the chipset.

nVidia's ION chipset is pretty nice. Other than that I've pretty much written them off as another Creative/3dfx style company that is driven by marketing hoopla rather than engineering innovation.

Reply 10 of 58, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe we also need to distinguish between AMD and Intel boards...

Now this is my personal opinion but AMD boards always take a while to mature compared to Intel boards.

Back in the day, the quality of the chipset was a huge factor and IMO Intel chipsets are the most mature and give you the least issues.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 11 of 58, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

True, I first used Gigabyte with Intel but later with AMD. I've only used Asus with AMD and EVGA with Intel.

VIA+AMD was a terrible, terrible combo in the K6-2 days, and I've always judged VIA harshly since.

Reply 12 of 58, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA was bad. My last (bad) experience with VIA was a cheap ECS Socket 754 AMD board. I got this PCI TV tuner card and when watching TV the system would lock up randomly.

Tried all sort of things, no luck. Got a asrock 754 board with an Nvidia chipset and all was good...

My YouTube channel

Reply 13 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Back in the day, the quality of the chipset was a huge factor and IMO Intel chipsets are the most mature and give you the least issues.

...as long as it's not the i820 😜
Intel does make nice chipsets, but I rate them lower then they could've been because Intel loves castrating it's own products (430TX with only 64meg cacheable ram, Tualatin needing a new chipset even though Tualatin;s basically just a die schrink, not to mention the RIMM debacle).

Edit: I think VIA made up when they started releasing their Athlon XP DDR chipsets. Atleast their northbridges didn't need active cooling, like NF does.
I'm using a Socket 754 and 939, both with VIA chipsets and the only gripe I have is their SATA 1 controllers are incompatible with SATA 2 drives. other then that they work just fine.
I think your issue is more to do with ECS and less with VIA.

Reply 14 of 58, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yea could have been an ECS issue who knows 🤣

Before that I had an Asrock Socket A board which also used a VIA chipset (not sure which one) and I loved that board. Had one of these Semprons (I believe it was the top model 3000+) and a Radeon 9700. It was quite the value gaming machine (at a time when the Geforce 6800 was already out).

After that I had a ton of Asrock boards and they all where fantastic. Currently using an Asus and a Phenom 555 unlocked to a quad and it's fine as well.

My YouTube channel

Reply 15 of 58, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ASUS is still my number one mobo brand, for the most part you can't go wrong here 😉

Had plenty of them all the way from socket 3's on up, had many Workstation boards from them, my first was a Dual Slot 1 with a pair of P2/450's.

Then I would say pretty much a tie between Aopen and Gigabyte.

The main reason for Aopen is like a post above, I've never had any issues with their mobo's, pretty much the same with Gigabyte as well, and of course both of these vendors made other products too.

I've also tried a smattering of Epox, FIC and Biostar boards, they too have run fine, in fact one of my current boards is a Biostar AM2+ board 😉

The one brand I always had failures with even though they setup and installed just fine was MSI, could have been luck of the draw but one in particular was a Socket A board for use with a Barton core CPU, failed within a month of use in three consecutive months, I just gave up as I was out....

Now the generic boards out there I'm sure I've seen here and there, basically everything made by the Uber Generic Vendor named ECS or Elite Group who made all kinds of OEM boards with so many names on them, their most popular being PCchips of course...

Have not really had any issues with these boards either, my favorite named generic was the TOMATO motherboards.

Another one that I remember selling a boatload of were the Amptron combo boards with the Cyrix 6x86 series CPU's, made a killing selling pre-tested and pre-configured boards this way, even sold a few COAST sticks along the way too 😁

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 16 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Yea could have been an ECS issue who knows 🤣

Before that I had an Asrock Socket A board which also used a VIA chipset (not sure which one) and I loved that board. Had one of these Semprons (I believe it was the top model 3000+) and a Radeon 9700. It was quite the value gaming machine (at a time when the Geforce 6800 was already out).

After that I had a ton of Asrock boards and they all where fantastic. Currently using an Asus and a Phenom 555 unlocked to a quad and it's fine as well.

Thats good to hear. I'll keep Asrock in mind 😉
I never had Asrock myself but a friend of mine had 2, both developing bad caps. I think some of their mobo's are vastly interesting.
I bet if they were around during the later 90's, they'd make an ATX Socket 3 board!! *drools 😁 *

Reply 17 of 58, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

They started off with these weird hybrid boards, eg PCIe and AGP or DDR and DDR2 and sometimes even a CPU upgrade slot.

But now they do boards like everyone else just a little bit cheaper.

The really cheap boards are now other brands like ECS or JW.

My YouTube channel

Reply 18 of 58, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

They started off with these weird hybrid boards, eg PCIe and AGP or DDR and DDR2 and sometimes even a CPU upgrade slot.

But now they do boards like everyone else just a little bit cheaper.

The really cheap boards are now other brands like ECS or JW.

Is there any list of all these weird hybrid boards? I tried looking for one but it's hard if you have very little to go on

Reply 19 of 58, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Possible though I don't know such a list.

However Asrock has archived all of their boards. And I mean the whole thing. Specs, BIOS files, drivers, images and whatnot:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/index.asp?s=Archives

The most obvious boards have model names with "upgrade" or "combo" or "dual" 🤣

E.g. here we have a S939 board using an ULI chipset which gives you AGP and PCIe slots!

http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=939Dual-VSTA