VOGONS

Common searches

Topic actions

First post, by Abysmal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Last edited by Abysmal on 2021-10-10, 06:43. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Abysmal <Phantasmagoria 2> Has anyone been able to get these types of games running on XP?

I think I still have this...will look.

(P2 and RAMA so far). I try to open the games and they won't start. Tried batch files, different configs, etc.

Ran the DOS version with VDMSound. Had some slight audio clipping. No major tweaking of any kind that I can recall.

Even went so far as to try out Virtual PC, but the sound emulation is horrible.

Unless there's little-to no movement, expect Virtual PC to perform that way. Star Trek: Klingon seemed to behave with it...

...maybe a Win9x VDMSound equivalent,

Well, there is an Alpha, but it's very...alpha.

Reply 2 of 7, by Snover

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got the DOS version of Phantasmagoria 2 as well as the DOS version of RAMA and the DOS version of Lighthouse (which uses the same engines I believe) running in XP with little problem.

Yes, it’s my fault.

Reply 5 of 7, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by Abysmal Can anyone walk me through how to get the DOS version of Phantasmagoria 2 installed?

It occurs to me that you may be suffering from "Even-numbered GeForce" syndrome. Both titles, AFAIK, require VESA to work and VESA support is flaky in XP, especially the GF2 and GF4.

About the only thing I can suggest it to open a command prompt, make it full-screen, run NOLFB.COM, then start the DOS install program (INST.EXE for Phantasmagoria2). Presuming that works, you would have to place NOLFB.COM with the game's executable in a batch file to start up the game.

Reply 6 of 7, by infernoj13usa

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

if I may... this might help.
I've played and finished both Lighthouse and Rama on XP
Here's how I set it up:
Lighthouse

Rama

I also did a setup for PhantasmagoriaII aswell...but no matter what I do; I can't seem to get past the apartment. Everything freezes at the map (unless I choose to go back to the apartment!

Maybe someone could take a look and tell me where I'm going wrong?

Inferno

Reply 7 of 7, by tomlow

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

i think the only problem is the installation.
you cant go past the apartment because the installation did not copy all files correctly. if there was a way to instal it manually, it could work.
i know there are these launchers that are made for specific games
( like the grimfandango and monkeyisland3 launchers). if there was something like that for phantasmagoria 2 win 95 version, it would be really cool.