VOGONS

Common searches

KQ5-7 + xp

Topic actions

First post, by Baldy23

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've looked through a bunch of posts but I can find the solution to how to get kq5, 6, and 7 up and running on XP. I have the games from the King's Quest Collection and they are all for windows. I have the following problems when I try to start the games (I have tried to select win 95 compatible, win 98 compatible, run in 256, etc. from the compatibility menus but it doesn't seem to help)

kq5 - get an error that display driver cannot be used
kq6 - nothing happens, start the program and it immediatly exits
kq7 - cannot find scidll.dll or sierra.err

I have a dell pentium 4 1.6GHz with 768 MB of RAM, an NVidia GEForce 2 graphics card and am running Win XP Profession Service Pack 1. Any help would be appreciaited, thanks.

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

KQ5 is the easiest to get going, you just have to set your display settings to 640x480 and 256 colors BEFORE you start the game as setting the compatibility mode does not change it before the game checks your display. This can be done in the advanced display settings, but you will have to set it back afterwards. An easy way to do it is to write a batch file to launch the game, and set it for compatyability mode 640x480x256. The bat file should have the name of the executable (Scikq5.exe) and the path to the config file (without looking I think it is RESOURCE.WIN)

The Win version of KQ6 is more involved to get going, but can be done. See the thread http://community.vugames.com/WebX?14@214.P5r8 … XfSs.3@.ef97ec7 on the Sierra KQ boards on how I did it. The DOS version works well, but lacks some things that the Win version has, such as high resolution dialog pictures.

For KQ7 you must have version 2 to run the Win version. Look on your CD for a file called ver or version and open it up in Notepad to see what version you have. There is no patch to upgrade to version 2. The DOS version works, but not all discs include the DOS version.

Reply 2 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by collector KQ5 is the easiest to get going, you just have to set your display settings to 640x480 and 256 colors BEFORE you start the game as setting the compatibility mode does not change it before the game checks your display.

There was a Windows version of KQ5? First I've heard of it. Re-release or part of one of the "collection" versions?

The Win version of KQ6 is more involved to get going, but can be done.

I've yet to get the Win version running in XP, although the DOS version seems fine.

Again, I wonder if this isn't a different release. Right now, I'm trying to figure a way to keep the video working without allowing the installer to install "Video for Windows".

The DOS version works well, but lacks some things that the Win version has, such as high resolution dialog pictures.

I remember that...hrmm. Know of a web page that has side-by-side comparisons? I'm wondering if they might've ever had a VESA version like the later "Larry"s.

For KQ7... The DOS version works, but not all discs include the DOS version.

?? You mean it was incomplete?

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

There was the original floppy version of KQ5, which was DOS only. It was re-released on CD as a talkie with both a Win and DOS engine. They also dumped the copyright protection for the CD version.

One thing that I have noticed with the Sierra Win SCI engines is that they use both WOW (the NT 16 bit launcher) AND the NTVDM. When you launch some Sierra Win games, such as KQ6 and Laura Bow 2, WOW gets loaded into memory, but NTVDM never launches. My trick to get these games to run is to write a batch file to replace the shortcut (including the path to the config file) and run the bat with VDMSound. Of course the Win engine does not need VDMSound, but it does launch the NTVDM and thus the game. KQ6 will lock up when it tries to play either of the two AVIs (the LOGO and TOON AVIs) so I just copy the RESOURCE.AUD file to the hard drive and play it with out the CD so the game can not find the AVIs. You must change the paths in the config file to point to the game's directory instead of the CD.

I have two copies of KQ7, one stand alone version with no DOS, (*and it does not work to copy over the DOS files from the demo) and the one from the second KQ collection. Only the second one works in XP as it is version 2, but also includes the DOS version.

Reply 4 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by collector There was the original floppy version of KQ5, which was DOS only. It was re-released on CD as a talkie with both a Win and DOS engine. They also dumped the copyright protection for the CD version.

My CD version only has the DOS version (just need to find it again to verify).

Your Windows version, is that from a "KQ Collection" package?

One thing that I have noticed with the Sierra Win SCI engines is that they use both WOW (the NT 16 bit launcher) AND the NTVDM. When you launch some Sierra Win games, such as KQ6 and Laura Bow 2, WOW gets loaded into memory, but NTVDM never launches.

Hrmm. It's been a while since I tinkered with Sierra's Windows games.

My trick to get these games to run is to write a batch file to replace the shortcut (including the path to the config file) and run the bat with VDMSound. Of course the Win engine does not need VDMSound, but it does launch the NTVDM and thus the game.

Might have to dig into this if the real world will stop intruding on my life.