Common searches

Big haul

Topic actions

First post, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Today I got a big haul of computer parts.
Maybe not big for some, but if I walk in a home with nothing and walk out with 2 large shopping bags and a backpack full of stuff AND a semi-complete system, I'm happy 😁
I haven't really inventarized exactly what I got, but it includes:
-15+ NIC's
-A Slot 1 i820 RIMM board, AGP 4x
-Another motherboard (probably ATX), haven't taken a look yet, he gave it to me and I just took it 😁
-A bag of RIMM stuff (many of those will be those dummy modules)
-A bag of 30p SIMM's (he took out the 16MB modules, but I'm not really in need of those anyway)
-Bag with some SDRAM
-About 10 CPU coolers, including a s423 Zalman cooler 😀
-A lot of cables, including SCSI, 80p IDE, a PS/2 bracket thingy
-Cards, couple AGP, 2 older USB cards, I think 1 EISA NIC
-Couple small harddrives (mostly 4GB and smaller, 1 is a laptop drive 😀, 1 or 2 are SCSI and somewhat under 20GB)
-And 1 almost complete system which has a PCB that has CPU and RAm on a daughterboard that fits in a special ISA+PCI thingy on the motherboard itself. It has I think a 300W AT PSU. The case itself has like over 10 places for expansion cards and has 2 handles to lift the thing.
-And some other thingies.

All for free!!

Particularly the i820 board seems interesting. It's supposedly able to take single RIMM's and even though it has 3 slots, only 2 can be used effectively due to a bug in the i820 chipset.

I will post some pics later, I'm sure some interesting stuff must be amongst all of this.

Edit: As I was on the way to the person giving away all that stuff, a friend of mine needed a temporary computer for internet while his quadcore is in repair. As I only had a P3-1000 I decided that was going to be the one.
But I noticed something odd about it.
It's a s370 i815 board...with an ISA SLOT!
Of course I told him I'll want the board back 🤣!

Reply 1 of 13, by sgt76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice haul! Lucky you have an attic to store all your stuff. The last time I had a big haul of free stuff, like 5 old dells and stuff, my little room got clogged up. Now I'm a bit more selective on what i bring back, and promised myself to only collect stuff that's collectible or historically interesting, plus will at least have a chance of getting used sometime.

Reply 3 of 13, by Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Those NICs could be nice for older mobos that don't have built-in ethernet adapter.

Never thought this thread would be that long, but now, for something different.....
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman.

Reply 4 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Kreshna Aryaguna Nurzaman wrote:

Those NICs could be nice for older mobos that don't have built-in ethernet adapter.

heya! Haven't seen you in a while mate! 😉

Yup 🤣, I wasn't particularly short on NIC's to begin with, but since it was either 'put the box of NIC's in one of your shopping bags or I'll throw it out' I decided to take it anyway 😉

The lot included some interesting stuff, including a s370 board with an ALI chipset (without the backplate though), the Intel VC820 board (AGP 4x, Slot 1, 3x RIMM), a TNT2, some nice RAM (including 30 pin, some RIMM's and 2 untested 512MB SDRAM DS), a Zalman s423 cooler, a couple nice sA coolers, a couple case fans, a GF2MX, a Radeon 9000 (hey, was all for free 😉 ), a 250MB IDE ZIP, 2x Slot 1 P3-800 (100mhz fsb), 2 8-bit somekind-of-network-with-the-big-fat-tv-cable NIC's, 1x PCI NIC with 2 ports, 1x PCI NIC with 4 ports (didn't even know those existed), that EISA NIC, loads of crappy PCI NIC's, 1 wireless adapter, 2 older USB PCI cards (perhaps they will work in a 486?), a couple harddrives (1 6BG laptop, 1 or 2 SCSI around 9GB or so?, 1 or 2 old IDE), and a couple routers and lots of cables.

Lots of stuff with lots of "meh" items, many "nice!" items and a few real gems 😀

Reply 5 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

including a s370 board with an ALI chipset

Ooh, that is interesting... Of all the countless PIII boards that have come into my hands over the years, I've never actually seen an ALi-based one. Perhaps there's a good reason they're so uncommon, I dunno, but it'd be a fun thing to play with, at the very least.

Reply 6 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

including a s370 board with an ALI chipset

Ooh, that is interesting... Of all the countless PIII boards that have come into my hands over the years, I've never actually seen an ALi-based one. Perhaps there's a good reason they're so uncommon, I dunno, but it'd be a fun thing to play with, at the very least.

Me nether. Frankly, I didn't even know they existed! Alas, he forgot to give me the backplate also. The northbridge has a heatsink but the southbridge does say it's ALI.

Reply 7 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Do you have anymore specs on the I815 board? any pics? 😀

I recently went through heck to find some older S370 boards with ISA. I finally stumbled across the VIA Apollo Pro 133T chipset that supported Tualatin/1.5GB SDram/ISA/ATA-100 and snagged one off ebay that had bad caps to repair. The board also came with a cpu cooler and a P3-1ghz (which I now have 2 1GHz)

I wonder if that I815 supports more than 512mb ram also?

Anyone know of any benchmarks with a Via Apollo Pro 133T vs. i815?! 🤣, maybe my upgrades aren't finished yet 😉

I could try to bench it against my TUSCL-2 ASUS board but it has no ISA slots 🙁

Reply 8 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Absolutely not. No i815 boards will take more than 512MB... it's a limit in the i815 chipset itself.

If you want benchmarks of the chipsets, look at the old Tom's Hardware Guide archives. They've got a bunch of tests from that era. The short version is, the Via Apollo is slower than the i815, but it's not really a noticeable difference. The big difference between the Via and the 815 is reliability/compatibility... the Via is considerably flakier than the Intel chip.

Reply 9 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
RogueTrip2012 wrote:
Do you have anymore specs on the I815 board? any pics? :) […]
Show full quote

Do you have anymore specs on the I815 board? any pics? 😀

I recently went through heck to find some older S370 boards with ISA. I finally stumbled across the VIA Apollo Pro 133T chipset that supported Tualatin/1.5GB SDram/ISA/ATA-100 and snagged one off ebay that had bad caps to repair. The board also came with a cpu cooler and a P3-1ghz (which I now have 2 1GHz)

Anyone know of any benchmarks with a Via Apollo Pro 133T vs. i815?! 🤣, maybe my upgrades aren't finished yet 😉

I could try to bench it against my TUSCL-2 ASUS board but it has no ISA slots 🙁

I did a benchmark between i815 and a VIA 694? using SuperPi. The VIA board was about 10% slower.

The i815 board is this board:
http://uk.ts.fujitsu.com/rl/servicesupport/te … D1219/D1219.htm

And afaik the i815 doesn't support more then 512MB in total. It'll also not work at PC-133 with more then 4 banks.

Reply 10 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got another computer a few days ago. It was from someone who's computer I had already fixed once, so I kinda knew already what was in it but couldn't remember the details anymore.

The computer was a P3-800 (I'd upgraded the original Celeron Coppermine 1000 that was originally in it and set the fsb from 100 to 133, + added more ram).
The motherboard kinda set me in doubt 🤣. It was ECS (yuk...) but googling the model number (ECS P6VXAT) revealed it to be compatible with the Tualatin. Also the board didn't have any leaking caps.

Since Tualatin boards are not that common, I'm thinking of actually using it.

Anyone have any experience with it? Does the board have crappy stability, or can I make a stable system out of it?

Edit: other things that were in the system: A GF2Ti (interesting! 😀 ), a wireless network card, a standard NIC, 3 bars of SDRAM and a harddrive of unknown make and size.
It also had a cpu cooler that was relatively large and not wide (as big as the socket itself) which should lend itself to cooling Socket 7 cpu's. Socket 7 usually won't take large coolers as theres always some component on the motherboard in the way.

Reply 11 of 13, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I remember those ECS boards, they were also sold under the 'Matsonic' name with a different (but equally cryptic) model number that now escapes me. They're nothing really special, and a bit light on features, but otherwise not too bad as far as Via Apollo boards go.

Reply 12 of 13, by RogueTrip2012

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Another Via Apollo Pro 133T, awesome! Dunno how ECS was with it but if anything based off the P6VXA (Via Apollo Pro 133A) it would be rated at average at best and a rather stable.

I just got my Tualatin P3-S 1.4GHz de-lidded and running 1575MHz at 150MHz bus, which seems to be the max bus that can be applied, still seems to be running rock solid at the moment, more testing is underway 😀

@ Old Thrashbarg
What do you mean considerably flakier? The biggest issue I've found with my Apollo Pro 133T is that nvidia drivers for a Geforce 4 Ti4600 forces you to use AGP 2x instead of 4x! Even with the registry hack I can't get 4x to enable! I was reading the performance difference is negligible between 2x and 4x and that it is due to a agp power issue that the board is forced into 2x by nvidia.

My Soyo SY-7VCA2 (Apollo Pro 133A) would run fine in 4x with a TNT2, did not test this on my GA-6VTXE though but bet it would work fine at 4x as well.

Reply 13 of 13, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If the board can't overclock that'll be fine (but would be nice if the board can overclock Tualerons from 100 to 133fsb), as long as it runs 133Mhz fsb stable! 😉

I know this VIA chipset had some issues, but I rather have a chipset be more slow then more instable and a horror to get working properly.
If this particular board has some very nasty stability issues due to poor manufacture then I'd consider not trying to use this board at all.

Well, maybe as a test board 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!