VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by anosse

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I seemed to have KQ1-4 working fine on XP, but KQ5 still is not cooperating... It executes under DosBox and VDMSound, the music in the intro seems fine, but 1)there is no speech or dialog under either DosBox or VDM...VDM also says during start that there is a problem with initialization of audio hardware??? I've also downloaded something called "GOSIERRA" which I've installed to the AUDBLAST.DRV file...still nothing. Any Suggestions??

Reply 1 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Many have trouble with the audio of KQ5 DOS on XP, even with VDMSound and the GoSierra patch or the updated Audblaster.drv file from Sierra's FTP. If you have the Win version of KQ5, it is easy to get going on XP. You just have to set your screen resolution to 640x480x256 BEFORE you launch the game. Compatibility Mode does not work as the game checks your resolution before the Compatibility Mode can change it.

Reply 3 of 5, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When you try to run the game just by setting the resolution down with the compatability mode settings, you still get the wrong display type error. It will run if you manually set the resolution down first.

I run the game with a bat file instead of a Windows shortcut and use the compatability mode to set the resolution down on the bat file. When the bat file launches the game, the resolution is already what the game is looking for. Just be sure to add the same resource path that's in the shortcut to the bat.

Reply 5 of 5, by Nicht Sehr Gut

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Originally posted by collector When you try to run the game just by setting the resolution down with the compatability mode settings, you still get the wrong display type error. It will run if you manually set the resolution down first.

Guess I should've figured that, of course, I've yet to see the Windows version.

I run the game with a bat file instead of a Windows shortcut and use the compatability mode to set the resolution down on the bat file. When the bat file launches the game, the resolution is already what the game is looking for.

Good thinking.