VOGONS

First post, by bert22306

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I use DOSbox primarily to run QuickBasic 7.1 on Windows 7. In previous versions of Windows, it is possible to see 50 lines of text in the QB composition screen and in output screens set to text (SCREEN 0). DOSbox dutifully emulates the original DOS look, including the limit of 25 lines.

Any way to allow more lines of text, or is this an item somewhere in the development queue? Or is it not possible to do, for some reason?

BTW, I really like the way DOSbox displays QuickBasic graphics screens in a window, or full screen if you prefer. Older Windows DOS emulation forced all grahics mode to full screen only.

Thanks for any thoughts on this

Reply 1 of 5, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

doesn't qbasic have a command-line parameter to display more rows? I forgot off the top of my head, so try /? it should tell you something.

DOSBox should be able to support this already.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 3 of 5, by bert22306

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I spoke too soon. Yes, it did help, because I can now see many more lines of text in the QB editing screen. But text-based program outputs haven't changed.

If you go to the command line screen of any windows, even Win7, and you right click on the c:\ symbol top left, you can then set your font and your image buffer, to see many lines of text. Even scroll up and down, if you set the buffer large enough.

This also helped when running QB. When the buffer was extended beyond the default setting, it seemed to double the number of text lines viewable in QB edit or output (text output, not graphics of course). You could not scroll, but you did get a lot more output to look at.

DOSbox, as far as I can tell, doesn't offer this yet. In the basic DOS window. So while the /h key is great for QB program composition, it would be nice to be able to set up the DOS screen to those larger formats.

Reply 4 of 5, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Get the SET80X50 program here and run it before running QBasic. Or get the 8X12_50 program here, it not only enables 50 line output but also uses the same 8X12 default font as the Windows command prompt. When the output is already 50 lines, you don't need to start QBasic with the /h parameter.