Common searches

TEN

Topic actions

First post, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Remember this online gaming service? Some games played exclusively on it like Wulfram and Dark Sun online. It's been closed for 12 years and it was mostly used to Quake anyway.

I'm digging out the DATA.Z of every TEN installer I have to scrap up some of the filefactory stuff that are long gone...

I wonder if anyone ever wrote a TEN simulator like that one for Imagination Network

They're all relics. The last men standing are GameSpy and Battle.net 😀

Reply 1 of 19, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Didn't "TEN" stand for something like the Total Entertainment Network or something like that? (I'm just guessing, I haven't looked it up.)

I remember that while the internet was still fledgling there were all kinds of services like that, the other two I remember offhand being HEAT and DWANGO.

...I never played any games over any of them though. I was too young, stupid and broke. ;D

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Aren't there a couple others? Or are you referring to the old ones that are still active?
I know Total Annihilation can still be played online using a couple services.

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Iirc TEN is also on the Total Annihilation cd set 😉
I actually still play TA from time to time 😀

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 19, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

They're all relics. The last men standing are GameSpy and Battle.net 😀

Kali.net is up and running too, and the only one I know of that still allows to host old IPX-based games through Internet's TCP/IP.

Reply 8 of 19, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hehe, anyone remember Epic Megagames old long-distance dialup "Challenge Arena" service for One Must Fall: 2097? 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nope, but I remember mlagger...I mean mplayer 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 19, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Tetrium wrote:

Nope, but I remember mlagger...I mean mplayer 😜

Yeah Mlagger is putting it nicely. 🤣 I still have my Kali key around somewhere. Used to play alot of Warcraft II on it.

Reply 13 of 19, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
temptingthelure wrote:

Who would pay for kali these days?

Maybe not these days, but if you already have a key, you can still use it, as bushwack said. Not bad for a 16 year old software with lifetime support. You can count yourself lucky if Steam Network or Windows XP activation server don't go offline forever after a shorter period of time.

And it's only $10 anyway. You can also register a limited trial account for 30 days, register another one when it expires, and so on. Cheap and dirty trick, but works.

Reply 15 of 19, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hater Depot wrote:

Maybe I was lucky, because Mplayer never lagged for me, despite being in a very rural area.

Nah, thats because in those days everyone thought 5 to 15fps was awesome! 😜

Report spammers here!

Reply 16 of 19, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
batracio wrote:

Kali.net is up and running too, and the only one I know of that still allows to host old IPX-based games through Internet's TCP/IP.

Interesting...I still should have a key somewhere 😀. I paid for it a long time ago but only used it a little since I had a very crappy 28.8 back then (28.8 by itself is crappy, but mine was above average crappy, I was lucky if I got 2.0KB/s through it)

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 17 of 19, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I also had a crappy modem back then (33.6 Kbps). I played in Kali.net up to 2004. Half-Life (WON) was unplayable, but Duke Nukem 3D 1on1 DM was fine, even with a terrible ping (~400 ms).

Reply 18 of 19, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

All I mostly remember my online gaming time those days was Subspace*, BattleCity *, Warheads, netWAR, ARC*, Wizwar!, Tanarus*, Wulfram*, ROTT, Duke3D and of course Quake*.

* = Still alive in some form

However I only had dial-up then. I wish someone had a super connection to archive the late '90s internets, especially all those public FTPs like gamehead 🙁
Maybe when the hadron thing is done and does time travel, Alexa can do something about it 🤣

Reply 19 of 19, by bushwack

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
leileilol wrote:

All I mostly remember my online gaming time those days was Subspace*, BattleCity *, Warheads, netWAR, ARC*, Wizwar!, Tanarus*, Wulfram*, ROTT, Duke3D and of course Quake*.

Ah, good ol' Subspace.