VOGONS

First post, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I finally decided to build a box that will suffice all my needs and intentions to be done on this mobo, so here's a little summary of my choice and items that have been obtained just recently at ebay:

Mobo: Asus PVI-486SP3
CPU: Am5x86 133MHz
RAM: 2x 32MB FPM 70ns
VGA: Ati 3D Xpression 1MB WRAM VLB, Voodoo2 12MB 3Dfx PCI OEM (need to check)
HDD: 40GB PATA + CD-ROM on PATA/SATA/USB PCI extensiond card.
Audio: SoundForte 16S (questions) ISA
LAN: You say - ISA Vs. PCI
PSU : 300W AT low price brand

Plus I have a huge Intel / Creative ISA video capture card, so I plan to play with that also.

I have several questions though, so let's get started:

-Can somebody confirm that this mobo can OC the CPU to the 160MHz, meaning a 40MHz FSB?

-Does this mobo support EDO RAM?

-Does that soundcard have a support for MPU-401?

-About the LAN card: Actually I don't want to surf or anything, just try to enable file sharing on the machine and enable the write access to other network users using winXP, since win95 won't be reading NTFS (or is there a workaround?) I plan to copy a small amount of data, for about 2GB for now. A 10Mbit NIC is slow, I know but can spare the time. But I say for games it would be enough. Any ISA NIC recommendation?

I guess there is no win95 SATA driver out there in the mighty Internet? 😅

Actually I've got one more question - has any one achieved 200MHz on CPU with this particular mobo?

In the end I plan to use win95 and try a crazy thing - Windows XP FLP 🤣. Also some multi boot utility, coz I wanna stick another drive in there using the onboard IDE channel, just for DOS and games.

MOBO: PVI-486SP3 Rev 1.2
CPU: POD-83
RAM: 2x16MB
VIDEO: Matrox Millenium 2MB/Voodoo2 12MB/Video Blaster VT300
AUDIO: SB Vibra16 FM
SCSI: 72GB 15k RPM HDD/YAMAHA CD-RW 16x/ZIP drive + FDD drive
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III
PSU: 230W Generic

Reply 1 of 18, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I'm curious. You have opted for a PCI 486, but you are using a VLB card. Also, I can confirm that this board OC's to 160, meaning 40 FSB. The board does not support EDO. BTW, what revision is your board?

I have got this board (rev 1.8 ) working at 200 MHz, but Quake won't run. I think it's because the SiS chipset can't cope with this level of abuse. You'll need to cut a pin (S4) on the CPU to force the board to ignore the CPU's voltage detection pin, and consequently it'll pump a rather dangerous 5V in to it, which will allow you to do the outrageous 50 MHz 4x multi overclock. But if you want 200 MHz, your best bet is to get a UMC chipset based mobo. Actually, your even better bet is to get any old Pentium mobo!

Reply 2 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

want to leave as much as space for the PCI devices, plan to use USB on it 😀, although never tried any USB drivers in 95, only in 98, maybe the latter will work on the first one. It's v 1.8. that VLB is also a windows accelerator, wanna see the smoothness I expect from it 😀. And thanks for your prompt repsponse, I've just read your findings you posted in past using this particular mobo...When you say UMC, do you know this board?...will post in a minute.

Reply 3 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So this is it and it's dubbed as : MB-8433/40 UUC

biostar486.jpg

I wanna see those golden caps with my bare eyes. It seems the may by solid state capacitors, due to those purple ones - I've read somewhere they should not have the liquid consistency.

Reply 4 of 18, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That's a very interesting 486 mobo you have there. Reminds me of this one, here. I wonder if it's an older revision? Does it have a revision number on it? I think you should try 200 MHz on it. 😀

Also, it will likely accept EDO RAM. There's a way of checking. If you look at the labelling on the chipset, it'll have a "code" on it, that indicates if it will accept EDO or not. Vogons user feipoa said that "if the UM8881F chipset has an E, as shown below in the given location of -EYT, then it supports EDO RAM."

UM8881F
9633-EYT
R62706

Reply 5 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

Plus I have a huge Intel / Creative ISA video capture card, so I plan to play with that also.

Pic please! 😁

Is it, by any far and away chance an IBM/Intel Action Media II?
If so, it didn't support W95, only W3x and DOS.

I'll go look up a pic of mine...

Link: http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad254/inte … um/DSC00193.jpg

If it's this one, Intel removed the driver from it's site about 1 or 2 years ago? But I downloaded it from there and if you have the same card, I can upload it for you here 😉

Edit:replaced link with pic, the other link wouldn't work
Edit2:Replaced again with a direct link as the pic is so huge and I already posted a couple times before 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The video board is the VT300 Video Blaster:

video_blaster_rt300_video_capture_350493.jpg

Anyways just wanted to point out that those light purplish caps may be solid state type, thus really tempting to do some serious OC, those 200MHz sound promising. I've tried some of my boards today at work, but the only "reasonable" success was OC'ing IBM Blue Lightning & Texas Instruments DX2/66s to 100MHz by 50x2 setting, although did not have the time to install / play something, just pure BIOS environment and so. The DX4 of Intel did respond only to the standard OC of 120MHz using 3x40 option. Tried various voltage values, did not help...

Reply 7 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

made a mistake - those light blueish caps, not purple.

Reply 8 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The Biostar has arrived, will tell more about it in a while, running to the post office to grab it.

Reply 9 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Shodan486 wrote:

The Biostar has arrived, will tell more about it in a while, running to the post office to grab it.

And this is the scary part, hope you weren't send a brick....or a bricked board 😉

And pics are always welcome! 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 10 of 18, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:

I'm curious. You have opted for a PCI 486, but you are using a VLB card. Also, I can confirm that this board OC's to 160, meaning 40 FSB. The board does not support EDO. BTW, what revision is your board?

I have got this board (rev 1.8 ) working at 200 MHz, but Quake won't run. I think it's because the SiS chipset can't cope with this level of abuse. You'll need to cut a pin (S4) on the CPU to force the board to ignore the CPU's voltage detection pin, and consequently it'll pump a rather dangerous 5V in to it, which will allow you to do the outrageous 50 MHz 4x multi overclock. But if you want 200 MHz, your best bet is to get a UMC chipset based mobo. Actually, your even better bet is to get any old Pentium mobo!

Is 50 as high as these go for FSB?

Reply 11 of 18, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Iirc the problem with the SiS 486 boards is they don't support a PCI divider, so you'll always be overclocking the PCI bus. The UMC's seem to, in many cases, actually have a PCI divider of some sort and with a little luck, the board will reach even 66Mhz FSB without any of the busses being overclocked 😉

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 18, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sliderider wrote:
retro games 100 wrote:

Is 50 as high as these go for FSB?

Yes. AFAIK, there are no undocumented FSB settings for the SiS chipset-based mobos.

Reply 13 of 18, by Shodan486

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So after quite a while 🤣 I've finally decide to crank this shit up pretty high, unfortunately this beautiful setup keeps bringing me down. First of all, I need to mention a couple of changes to the setup:

MOBO: Remains the same
CPU: CPU Am5x86 ADZ 133MHz
RAM: 2x 16MB 70n FPM
VGA:: STB Velocity 4400 aka TNT RIVA 16MB with Voodoo2 12MB PCIs
AUDIO: CMI8738 PCI
Storages: 1GB WD, 56x Acer CD-ROM, FDD

Plus the Video Blaster VT300.

Well, let's get to the point - I really cant get it work with the TNT card with both Glide and D3D functioning properly - I've tried almost all drivers beginning with 3.xx to 30.xx, where not all "xx" have been tested (working on it right now). I am desperate here, trying both DX6.1 & 7, testing it on GL/D3D Quake and Interstate '76. Even the 2D games won't run when using some drivers, I really start to feel that I should declare TNT not working with this particular board 🙁.

I will provide some screenshots as soon as I find something besides imageshack 😁

PS: Everything else works smoothly.

Reply 14 of 18, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

that mobo, minus two ram slots, is the exact twin (by memory) of the first system I ever had brand new. I had an amd 486/133 and a couple 16MB 72 pin sticks in it, and an s3 trio64v2/DX. The problem I had was when I tried to stick a ViRGE in it, it would not work... I found out eventually that the PCI timing and latency were juuuuuust a tiny bit off of PCI in pentiums, which was just enough to make the ViRGE refuse to work. I wonder if this is the same case for you? By what I understand, all but one 486 chipset used VLB to PCI bridge, which could cause this exact issue.

As for data transfer, I highly recommend one of two things: burning CDRW discs, or using a zip100 or zip250 atapi drive. I have three zip100 atapi and like 30 zip100 discs, and am trying to find a usb zip250 for a reasonable price for my new system, since the zip100 atapis hate my usb to pata adapters.

for multibooting, look up system commander. Back in this day it was **THE** best tool to multiboot to single partition, multi partition, or multi HDD. It had to be on a FAT or FAT32 partition, but could boot to xp even if xp was on an ntfs partition.

for a network card, look up 3com parallel tasking II and III ISA and intel pro/100 series pci cards. Best of the best, IMO. I still use the pro/100 and their newer pro/1000 cards in every single one of my systems, even my gaming box which is a 6 core 3.4ghz thuban.

As for win95 sata driver... you shouldn't need one, if you get one of those pata host to sata hdd adapters or bidirectional adapters... the hdd is seen as a pata drive by the host OS. The problem is win95 doesn't include their own DDO type stuff so you would need to install something like that for larger HDDs.

Reply 15 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was never able to get a TNT2 working on a UMC chipset 486 board, not sure about a TNT1. A Matrox Millennium G200 should work fine.

Does the Voodoo2 work well with this chipset?

This board may be the predecessor to the Biostar MB-8433UUD. What are the datecodes and models of your chipsets?

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 17 of 18, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:

Does the Voodoo2 work well with this chipset?

I've had a Voodoo2 working with a UMC8881 M919 😀

Not a lot of application unless you wanted to play Activision's own games (mw2, i76, bz) since their software renderer on a 486 is just dreadful. Also GLQuake, Quake2 and Hexen II is more playable if you just stick with flashblends as 486s get hung up on lightmap caches the most.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 18 of 18, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would there be any benefit in adding a Voodoo2 to a Super3 board (2x66 IBM 5x86c-133) which has a Matrox Millennium G200 in it?'

I have always wondered why the voodoo2 cards woked in 486 UMC 8881/8886 chips, but voodoo3 and banshee cards would not.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.