VOGONS

PS/2 6 pin cable - are they hard to find?

Topic actions

Reply 60 of 79, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
feipoa wrote:
@Tetrium I finally received the Belkin KVM unit but was unable to successfully convert my PS/2 mouse signal (3-button Logitech a […]
Show full quote

@Tetrium
I finally received the Belkin KVM unit but was unable to successfully convert my PS/2 mouse signal (3-button Logitech and 3-button Generic w/scroll wheel) to the serial protocal. It may have something to do with how I connected the KVM unit -- such that I was using only the host PS/2 port and PC1's output serial port and didn't connect the keyboard and monitor. Basically, I didn't use it as a KVM, but as a protocal converter.

Perhaps it would work if I were to connect the monitor, mouse, and keyboard? Does anyone else have experience with this?

Unfortunately, the KVM SVGA ports on the back need gender changers (for a male/male SVGA cable), or a male/female SVGA cable, both of which I do not have, and thus cannot test. I also don't have a male/male PS/2 cable to connect the output keyboard cable. I did, however connect a ps/2 keyboard directly to the KVM unit and another ps/2 keyboard to the 486 motherboard independently, but was still unable to get the ps/2-to-serial mouse feature working. Also, the keyboard commands to the unit do not properly switch between PC1 and PC2 as indicated by the front panel LEDs. Perhaps the KVM is damanged, or it is just really fussy and needs all cables connected to function properly.

As noted earlier, you can still use a Vetra Systems PS/2-to-serial converter box if you don't mind imperfect smoothness with the mouse tracking. It is still very usable, but it bothered me nonetheless. They are also a bit overpriced in my opinion. Anyone know of any others?
http://www.vetra.com/327text.html

Damn...that kinda sucks! I intended to use it in exactly that way! But perhaps we'd need to attach all the cables?
Well, lets just hope you did something wrong 🤣 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 61 of 79, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have one of those Belkin boxes that I picked up a couple years ago. From my experiences with it, I'd say your best option would be to write it off and buy a different one. Mine won't work with certain keyboards, and even if you find a keyboard it likes, it won't work with certain computers, and even if you find a computer it likes, it still sometimes just won't work at all. The switching is finicky, as you've already found, and it also randomly 'forgets' about the keyboard and/or mouse attached to it sometimes. I never even dared to try the mouse protocol conversion... I had enough trouble trying to get it just to pass the plain PS/2 mouse signal through.

Reply 62 of 79, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Old Thrashbarg wrote:

I have one of those Belkin boxes that I picked up a couple years ago. From my experiences with it, I'd say your best option would be to write it off and buy a different one. Mine won't work with certain keyboards, and even if you find a keyboard it likes, it won't work with certain computers, and even if you find a computer it likes, it still sometimes just won't work at all. The switching is finicky, as you've already found, and it also randomly 'forgets' about the keyboard and/or mouse attached to it sometimes. I never even dared to try the mouse protocol conversion... I had enough trouble trying to get it just to pass the plain PS/2 mouse signal through.

Well, seems I'm back at square one! 😜

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 63 of 79, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW, what I've found that works well is an old Masterview CS-104. It's another of those that are fairly easy to find on eBay, I actually got mine in a lot along with that Belkin POS.

It's a 4-port box, old as balls, and has PS/2, AT, and serial connectors on it. It doesn't do any sort of protocol conversion for the mouse, but it's not a big problem to have both a PS/2 mouse connected for the machines that use PS/2 mice, and a serial mouse for the machines that need serial mice.

Reply 64 of 79, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
feipoa wrote:

@Tetrium
I finally received the Belkin KVM unit but was unable to successfully convert my PS/2 mouse signal (3-button Logitech and 3-button Generic w/scroll wheel) to the serial protocal. It may have something to do with how I connected the KVM unit -- such that I was using only the host PS/2 port and PC1's output serial port and didn't connect the keyboard and monitor. Basically, I didn't use it as a KVM, but as a protocal converter.

Perhaps it would work if I were to connect the monitor, mouse, and keyboard? Does anyone else have experience with this?

The logic inside KVM switches is usually powered by the keyboard interface of one of the connected PCs. Get a male-male PS/2 cable, connect one of the PCs to one of the keyboard plugs on the KVM, and try again.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 65 of 79, by Old Thrashbarg

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That Belkin box uses an external power brick. I don't think it even can be powered from the keyboard interface... it didn't show any signs of life when I tried it. The power adapter is something like 9V, 600ma or thereabouts.

Reply 66 of 79, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Oh, I see. Sorry, I was just speaking of KVMs in general, so I guess this one is a little different.

That said, it's possible the unit still uses the keyboard socket to detect if the machine is switched on. So maybe get a cable and see if it helps?

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 67 of 79, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have sorta tried it with a male/male ps/2 keyboard cable already. I didn't mention it previously for the intended purpose of reducing typed words -- looks like it has backfired on me.

Since I only had a male/female ps/2 cable, I jumpered the other 6+GND pins with wire leads, thereby successfully connecting the ps/2 mouse and keyboard consoles, with 1 output ps/2 keyboard and 1 output serial mouse. Still no dice. I assume the ps/2 cable is straight thru without any cross over between pins.

At this stage, I am inclined to agree with Old Thrashbarg in that this may just be a finicky POS KVM, refering to the whole series, not just this particular unit. The only thing I have left to do is connect the VGA monitors. I'll try to pickup a gender changer sometime and retest it. It would be kinda silly if one needs to waste all that extra cabling just to convert a PS/2 signal to RS-232.

Assuming it does eventually work, you are left with this extra large KVM box and a mess of cables, for which the conversion may not be any better than the Vetra Systems device. On top of that, I am already using a different KVM because it does audio switching, adding another KVM inbetween adds some signal loss (btw, no I did not test this Belkin KVM on my system that currently has a KVM. It was tested independently on a solo system).

Reply 68 of 79, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have a Asus PVI-486SP3 mainboard I want to use its PS2 header to connect a mouse. So I ordered a PS2 connector plate from eBay. Unfortunately it has a 10 pin connector not an 8 like the mainboard header. The connector will fit with an a small overhang as the header isn't blocked off. Is it possible I can rewire the cable so it will work when connected?

Thanks

Reply 69 of 79, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything is possible when you believe. 😎

If the connector looks like the one on page 2, it is quite easy to poke at the side of the connector with a needle and pull out the individual wires. From there, you will have to determine which wire corresponds to which pin on the connector, and find the corresponding pin assignments for the pins on the motherboard – hopefully listed in your motherboard manual.

Reply 70 of 79, by fillosaurus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Happy me... I still have 2 perfectly functional A4Tech serial mice and a Microsoft Cordless Wheel Mouse, serial+PS/2

Y2K box: AMD Athlon K75 (second generation slot A)@700, ASUS K7M motherboard, 256 MB SDRAM, ATI Radeon 7500+2xVoodoo2 in SLI, SB Live! 5.1, VIA USB 2.0 PCI card, 40 GB Seagate HDD.
WIP: external midi module based on NEC wavetable (Yamaha clone)

Reply 71 of 79, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The mainboard manual does not list what the pins are, so I ordered another ps2 port from here http://www.shinyhardware.co.uk/prods/showprod.asp?pid=14242

Looks like this one matches the connector on the mainboard. I'll test it with cheap ps2 mouse once it arrives encase its wired the wrong way.

Reply 72 of 79, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have connected it up. The ctmouse driver detects the mouse when the machine boots but when I try to use the mouse in a game the machine freezes and I have to hard reboot it.

I have tried both a Logitech and Microsoft PS/2 mouse. I pulled all the cards except video and disabled all other ports.

Anyone have any idea what's wrong?

Thanks

Reply 76 of 79, by Soupdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I changed the wiring on the PS/2 connector plug that fits the mainboard to match that of the Asus mainboard pin out diagram earlier in this thread. But the same thing still happens PC boot's up, driver detects the mouse, moving mouse locks up the PC.

MSD shows the mouse on IRQ 12. I cant see anything else using IRQ 12 all I have in the PC is a video card and the on-board IDE controller enabled.

Such a shame I was so happy with the 486 mainboard apart from this problem.

Reply 77 of 79, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Soupdragon wrote:

MSD shows the mouse on IRQ 12. I cant see anything else using IRQ 12 all I have in the PC is a video card and the on-board IDE controller enabled.

What about other on-board devices, like serial or parallel ports?

Reply 79 of 79, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The other possibility is that perhaps for some reason the pins on the connector are still not wired up the way they should be, even though it fits physically. Perhaps you should test them?