VOGONS

First post, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I want to know if there is anybody here thats having modified his internal pc speaker?

If have installed some dos games on my rig, and now iam knowing how important this internal pc speaker was.

De only big cons of this speaker was that is wasn`t adjustible..
Some games having a lot of sound production, some games not..

I was thinking of maybe its a good idea to modified this speaker. How much it will cost is no problem at all, because its an modification for life use..

To make it adjustible i thinking of using a small amplifier..
The speaker thats iam using is the stock speaker, but there arent any specs on it, so iam thinking for replace it also, because of use of an amplifier, because maybe the stock speaker can`t handle it of to low specs.

Are there people on this forum having an modified internal speaker?

Is it possible to make this mono speaker stereo? Or isn`t it worth it.

Reply 2 of 14, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes that's what I use on my old boxes. Most Sound Blaster 16's and many other cards have a 2-pin PC-SPK input although you might have to make up your own cable, since most motherboards have a 4-pin wide pc speaker connector. Also if you get the polarity wrong it won't work. Seems like only one pin on the sound card accepts the signal, while the pc-speaker itself will work regardless of which way its plugged into the motherboard.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 3 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I believe that wiring the speaker through your Sound Blaster, will get the best result in terms of quality.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

The PC speaker amounts to a rather ordinary-looking speaker with two wires coming out of it. You could probably connect whatever you wanted to it. Why you would want to do so is rather beyond me, as the vast majority of games that use the PC speaker don't do anything other than output excruciating beeping noises.

I suppose you could try to connect something that digitally re-samples signals sent to the PC speaker to make them sound more interesting, but that that would not be remotely simple.

Robin4 wrote:

Is it possible to make this mono speaker stereo? Or isn`t it worth it.

No games are programmed to output stereo sound through the PC speaker. The best you could do would be to hook a second speaker into the circuit, such that you'd have two speakers making exactly the same sounds, though that hardly counts as "stereo".

Reply 5 of 14, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Some soundcards have a pc-speaker input on them.

Thanks, I didn't even know this!

Is there, by any chance, a compiled list of which audio cards support this option?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 14, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Most of Creative's ISA cards have a PC speaker connector. It has a few problems though:
The input volume is too loud and the mixer chip has only four settings to control the volume (0/33/66/100%). Also, connecting the mainboard speaker output to the sound card introduces a great deal of noise.

Reply 7 of 14, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Most of Creative's ISA cards have a PC speaker connector. It has a few problems though:
The input volume is too loud and the mixer chip has only four settings to control the volume (0/33/66/100%). Also, connecting the mainboard speaker output to the sound card introduces a great deal of noise.

True. However, there are some integrated sound cards (the particular one I'm speaking of is from SiS730s MoBo) that do this automatically. On that board there is no pcspk pin - it outputs everything directly to speakers; it sounds pretty good too.

Reply 8 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
5u3 wrote:

Most of Creative's ISA cards have a PC speaker

Add to that, many (all?) of the Sound Blaster Live sound cards (I have a CT4780 that does).

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Wouldn't the AUX or CD input also work? Once you sorted out the right connector of course...

My YouTube channel

Reply 10 of 14, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

Wouldn't the AUX or CD input also work? Once you sorted out the right connector of course...

To tell the truth, I wouldn't see any reason why it wouldn't.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 11 of 14, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well, if the resistance of the PC speaker is substantially different from the resistance across the AUX pins, that might do something, but I'm not sure if it would really be a problem.

Reply 13 of 14, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I believe that wiring the speaker through your Sound Blaster, will get the best result in terms of quality.

Ok, i didn`t knowing i could do that.

Is this possible with SB AWE64 gold?

So i need to make an cable from motherboard PC-SPK to soundcard jumper?

EDIT:

Yes i found it on this soundcard behind the cd-in 4 pins connector.
But it is an 2 pins connector..

Where can in find those wires?

Reply 14 of 14, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Just mod a 4 plug cable. Shouldn't be hard...

My YouTube channel