VOGONS

Munt Reloaded - Development

Topic actions

Reply 141 of 965, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

THanks a bunch.

I've gotten it installed in Windows 7, but the midi utilities for Windows Vista don't see it.

I'll spend some time on it...

*edit*
It shows up in device manager, but I can't get any audio out of it.

It shows up in dosbox if I run "mixer /listmidi", but none of the Windows midi picker apps list it, and manually editing registry to tell windows to use midi device 1 (0 is GS wavetable synth) doesn't play any sound.
*/edit*

Reply 142 of 965, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I can't get the mt32emu.exe to work either. I've got midiyoke installed, but I'm not able to hear anything...

*edit*
I'm getting tired of correcting myself.

What MT32EMU calls port 1 is not the same as Midi Yoke's port 1.

Midi yoke is listening on ports 1 - 8. I had to set MT32EMU to use port 0.

Now it's working though! Yay!
*/edit*

Reply 144 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

Any chance for a 64-bit Vista/Win7 driver?

I don't think so. As M$ don't plan to support DirectMusic further, there are no chances of signing the driver compiled for x64. AFAIK, a driver without a WHQL sign cannot be installed on x64 win 🙁

I'd prefer another way of supplying the synth engine with MIDI messages. For now, we think of RTP-MIDI.

And I want to make the DOSBox patch more comfortable to use. 😀

Reply 145 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sergm, so you can build 64-bit version of unsigned driver, right?

With some software like driver signature enforcement overrider, it is possible to have unsigned device driver installed in your system though it is not an official way.

Reply 146 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No, I've never tried... Some obstacles maybe encountered since DirectMusic IS deprecated, as I mentioned many times 🙁

Moreover, I never saw MIDI drivers for x64 platform except that of M$. Also, KissBox RTP-MIDI and MIDI Yoke are x86 only... However, I found MIDI Yoke working on WinXP x64:
http://www.midiox.com/cgi/yabb/YaBB.pl?board= … ;num=1169714101

Besides, I don't think this driver is of real need. As I realize, the major consumers of the emu are DOSBox and ScummVm projects which can easily use the lib.

Reply 147 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Varka wrote:
THanks a bunch. […]
Show full quote

THanks a bunch.

I've gotten it installed in Windows 7, but the midi utilities for Windows Vista don't see it.

I'll spend some time on it...

*edit*
It shows up in device manager, but I can't get any audio out of it.

It shows up in dosbox if I run "mixer /listmidi", but none of the Windows midi picker apps list it, and manually editing registry to tell windows to use midi device 1 (0 is GS wavetable synth) doesn't play any sound.
*/edit*

I suppose you haven't installed SDL libs in your %SystemRoot%/system32. This version is compiled for use of the libs in order to communicate with mt32emu_display application.

Reply 148 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I hope that there will be someway to make Munt available on 64-bit Windows. Sales of the 64-bit version of Win7 have constituted a large percentage of total sales. It might not matter for the games that ScummVM supports, but since official builds of DOSBox do not support Munt there are many more games that 64-bit users can't use Munt with.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 149 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Varka wrote:
I can't get the mt32emu.exe to work either. I've got midiyoke installed, but I'm not able to hear anything... […]
Show full quote

I can't get the mt32emu.exe to work either. I've got midiyoke installed, but I'm not able to hear anything...

*edit*
I'm getting tired of correcting myself.

What MT32EMU calls port 1 is not the same as Midi Yoke's port 1.

Midi yoke is listening on ports 1 - 8. I had to set MT32EMU to use port 0.

Now it's working though! Yay!
*/edit*

You're correct. In the Windows MM API MIDI port numbering is 0-based

Reply 150 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I hope that there will be someway to make Munt available on 64-bit Windows. Sales of the 64-bit version of Win7 have constituted a large percentage of total sales. It might not matter for the games that ScummVM supports, but since official builds of DOSBox do not support Munt there are many more games that 64-bit users can't use Munt with.

I suppose, the official DOSBox release would have an advantage of MT-32 emulation as the MUNT project becomes stable and complete in terms of functionality. At least, a way of MUNT plug-in loading should be implemented.

Reply 151 of 965, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I think that the decision to not include it in official builds was mostly because of the IP issues with the ROMs, but whether or not change this policy is a matter for the DOSBox devs to decide.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 152 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
collector wrote:

I think that the decision to not include it in official builds was mostly because of the IP issues with the ROMs, but whether or not change this policy is a matter for the DOSBox devs to decide.

Of course... But the hope exists. Anyone can build DOSBox from the sources 😀

Reply 153 of 965, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

What I find positive in driver-sided support is that it could easily support any other Windows software including games and media players which have ability to play MIDI instruments. DirectMusic is a deprecated component but AFAIK its native 64 bit support is still partially available. Using 64bit version of Windows, I sometimes feel uncomfortable that I have to play MIDI files in DOSBox in order to listen to music with MT-32 emulation. I hope you to add 64bit windrv support to your to-do list.

Reply 154 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

We already have added. But not only Windows x64. I'm currently working on mt32emu_Qt app. It's a cross-platform solution. Well, will be when I replace Windows MIDI interface with RTP-MIDI 😀

Reply 156 of 965, by Varka

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I originally started using the Windows midi driver to work around CPU usage issues, since both the DOSBOX emulation and the MT32 emulation share a single CPU.

That's not as serious an issue now as it was a few years ago when I first started messing around with it.

Reply 157 of 965, by OmerMor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I failed getting the mt-32 windows driver to work. I tried it on both Win7 32bit & WinXP 32 bit.
I copied SDL.dll & SDL_net.dll to the system32 folder.
I have the mt32 roms in the install dir, and the device installation copied it to the system32 folder as well.
I see the mt32 midi device in midi yoke, in dosbox, and in scummvm. However, none were able to run with it.
ScummVM for example gives the following error in its log:
[2011-03-15 15:20:07] WARNING: MM System Error 'Undefined external error.'!
[2011-03-15 15:20:07] WARNING: Failed to open MIDI driver!
[2011-03-15 15:20:07] Failed to initialize sound driver!

Any idea why I'm getting this?

BTW - the built-in mt32 emulation in ykhwong's DosBox build works amazing - almost like my real mt-32 hardware. The only annoying bit is the flaky performance.

Reply 159 of 965, by sergm

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

How about making a ROM waveset that has no copyright problems? 😀

This is really a great idea since we have the possibility to make digital captures without any quality loss. We have discussed it with KingGuppy but we doubt there will be no copyright problems.