VOGONS

First post, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Gigabyte GA-P35-DS3
Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 @ 2.40GHz
3GB RAM
GeFoce 9800GT 1GB RAM (driver version 267.24)
Realtek High Definition Audio
Windows 7 Ultimate 32-bit

I've just installed Daggerfall with DaggerfallSetup.exe from uesp, which has already configured dosbox. Game works ok in menu, but everytime I use New Game or try to load savegame, dosbox screen just goes black.
I fount out that the same problem occurs with Tomb Raider, but this time I can hear that game is working(Lara runs and jumps etc.), but screen is frozen(yes, frozen, not black). Strangely, it seems that this problem occurs only in 3D games, because when I tried to play Warcraft I, the game was working perfect.
It seems also that this occurs only in fullscreen mode. When games are in window mode, then everything works correct.
I've tried every video mode, but without success.
I'm using the newest, 0.74 version of DosBox.

Can someone help me with this problem? I cannot play my favourite games because of this.

Reply 3 of 17, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Newest driver and in dosbox config try the different output settings

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 17, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Drivers updated, tried different output settings, nothing changed. Maybe DosBox is colliding with some other program? Is it possible to check by some console or something what dosbox is doing when game freezes?

Reply 5 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

If it happens in fullscreen only and the game appears to continue working otherwise,
your graphics card/drivers or monitor just can't handle the graphics mode.
197.xx drivers or earlier may better cope with your old card, but that's just
a guess, Dominus already wrote the things that have influence.

Reply 7 of 17, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've noticed a similar issue in Hexen when starting in full screen. With the 3.25" disk version I only see a Black Screen then DOSBox exits. The CD version of Hexen shows the spine then the menu background but freezes there. Start these games in a window then Alt-Enter into fullscreen later.

It seems that every 3rd time it doesn't have this problem so there's also a random element to it.

Reply 11 of 17, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've just reinstalled my windows 7(not for dosbox, it was needed anyway). I've installed most important programs and some games including Tomb Raider and Daggerfall. Strangely, I have still this very same issue. Can it be driver or hardware related problem?

Reply 13 of 17, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Well you have random problems, one time you tell it only happens in fullscreen
then (without telling what you changed) you state it happens always.
If it's really that random you got a hardware problem. If it isn't get your
facts straight otherwise nobody can help you.

Reply 15 of 17, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

They're not random, but I haven't explained it more detailed and I'm sorry for this. Let me explain it:

Tomb Raider:

When fullscreen mode is activated in dosbox.conf:
Game is working ok until the main menu, then, after choosing new game/load game/croft manor and after fmv(in case of new game/croft manor) the game just freezes with the first rendered frame after level loading.

When fullscreen mode is deactivated in dosbox.conf:
Game is working in window mode in every cutscene, but when it comes to the menu/level, then game switches automaticaly to the fullscreen mode and it cannot be changed. After new game/load game/croft manor game freezes(though I can still control Lara), but I've found out that when i click alt+tab and then maximalize game again, I can play it normally! Unfortunately, problem returns if I load game or return to the menu(but if I perform what I've explained before then the game works ok again).
When not using 3dfx patch:
Game works ok.

Daggerfall:
This game is quite a mystery to me. It seems that this game randomly freezes regardless of what settings I'm using. I thought before that game works ok if not in fullscreen mode, but I was wrong. This game can work few minutes after load/new game, but it can also freeze immediatly when I choose one of those two options. I have no idea why it is working like this.

I'm using TR1/UB dosbox Installer by gidierre(http://www.tombraiderforums.com/showthread.php?t=166520) and Daggerfall Installer from uesp(http://theelderscrolls.wiwiland.net/?title=Da … gerfallSetup_EN). If you don't want to download all these installers(they are quite big I must admit) then I give you dosbox.conf files from these two games.

Attachments

• Filename
    dosboxTR164.conf
    File size
    7.51 KiB
    Downloads
    218 downloads
    File comment
    dosbox.conf for Tomb Raider
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • Filename
    dosboxUB64.conf
    File size
    7.51 KiB
    Downloads
    161 downloads
    File comment
    dosbox.conf for Tomb Raider: Unfinished Bussiness
    File license
  • Filename
    DosBox.conf
    File size
    10.76 KiB
    Downloads
    233 downloads
    File comment
    dosbox.conf for Daggerfall
    File license

Reply 16 of 17, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOSBox + 3dfx patch = unsupported

Regarding Daggerfall use installation package and instructions provided by Bethesda. Your config file for Daggerfall is bad on so many levels (output=surface, mounting ".", running game from root directory, not mounting cdrom).

Reply 17 of 17, by Caesum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox + 3dfx patch = unsupported

This installer is using gulikoza's version which adds direct3d output to the dosbox.

output=surface, mounting ".", running game from root directory, not mounting cdrom

Ok, I've changed everything here except mounting cdrom(this installer do not have cd copy, anyway as far as I know It's not needed to mount it if you choosed full installation and you're starting it with "fall.exe z.cfg") but still it is not working. I'll try original Bethesda version then.

And I'm quite sure that everything was working ok until I've downgraded from 64-bit windows to 32-bit. Though I have no idea why it would be the reason.
EDIT: I've installed 64-bit version and there are still problems with this two games, it must be something else then. Oh and I've found out that it is not dosbox which freezes in Daggerfall but game itself, dosbox is working ok.