VOGONS

First post, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Earlier in the week I downloaded DOSBox in order to run an old viewing utility that was created to view graphic files in DOS back in the early 90s. THe utility is a .bat file (called LOOKAT.BAT). The first time I configured and ran DOSBox this week, I copied all the image files and the LOOKAT program into the same directory/folder as DOSBox. LOOKAT ran perfectly the first time - and I was able to view all the graphics files - but only once. I've never been able to view the files again no matter what I do. Whenver I type LOOKAT to run the utility, I get "C:/echo off" and then the below that the blue DOSBox welcome screen displays. I've attached a screen shot. Any ideas?

Attachments

Reply 2 of 26, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

This forum is for emulating old Macs, not for DOSBox on Macs. You should ask in the DOSBox forum.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Content of the batch file please and all your mounting commands

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 5 of 26, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it looks like:

- he forgot the "@" in the echo off statement which suppressed error messages
- started dosbox from within the batchfile
- dropped back to the prompt after exiting dosbox.

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 6 of 26, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I copied all the image files and the LOOKAT program into the same directory/folder as DOSBox.

Okay... Now here's how you're supposed to use DOSBox.
Create a folder on your harddrive. I use C:\DOS.
Place everything you want DOSBox to have access to in that folder.
Start DOSBox and type:
MOUNT C C:\DOS -t dir
C:
LOOKAT.BAT
The DOSBox program should not be in the same folder you're mounting.

Last edited by SKARDAVNELNATE on 2011-06-25, 03:51. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 7 of 26, by IIGS_User

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, on the Mac, create a folder 'DOSGAMES' inside your documents folder, move the LOOKAT folder or content to that folder, and inside DOSBox, type 'mount c ~/DOSGAMES/",
where ~ represents your user's folder.

Klimawandel.

Reply 8 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone. Thanks so much for the feedback. Sorry for the delayed reply - my username and password wouldn't let me back in after I started this topic.

I've tried all the suggestions you guys posted and nothing seems to work. I'm able to mount a C: drive to the folder on my Mac that has the lookat.bat file and all the images I want to view, but the lookat.bat file still won't run.

Originally I'd had DOSBox and the lookat.bat file in the same folder and since that didn't work I moved the files and lookat.bat to my /users/me/dosprogs folder. Still wouldn't run.

One of you suggested I post the contents of the lookat.bat file. Here it is:

echo off
REM This is a batch file to invoke PBO:
REM ***\MVDI +p***\MVDI.PLP ***\ega640e.scr ***\PBO %1
REM replace the "***" with the path to the files.

REM This will invoke PBO from its directory, only.
MVDI +pMVDI.PLP vga640.scr PBO %1

Hope this helps - this is really frustrating since the lookat.bat file did run once.

Reply 9 of 26, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Don't you need a target for the viewer?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 10 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I don't think so. I believe all I had to do was type "lookat" and the utility will display one file after the other. If it's any help, here's a screenshot of the directory of files.

Attachments

Reply 11 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Two things:

First, why does the title bar in your screenshots show the active program as "COMMAND"? Normally it should show DOSBOX as the active program when you're sitting at a shell prompt. Are you running COMMAND.COM from real MS-DOS? Not sure if that works well... at any rate, try eliminating whatever alternate shell you're using.

Second, maybe the program doesn't like being in the root. Try putting all of the files in a subdir and then change to that subdir before running the program. I guess it would be in something like /users/me/dosprogs/lookat in your case, then mount the dosprogs folder as before and use a "cd lookat" command to change to the subdir in DOSBox.

Reply 12 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No idea about the title bar display. I'm not running any kind of shell. I'm on a Mac, and I'm only running the DOSBox app as it was intended for Mac. Nothing else. I'll give the subdir a try and see what happens.

Reply 13 of 26, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Are there any other Mac users that see "Progam: COMMAND" when sitting at a shell prompt in DOSBox? Maybe there's some platform thing that happens for Macs that isn't apparent from the source code, but I'd like to know about it if so.

There is a variable in the DOSBox source called "RunningProgram" that is shown on the title bar, and it defaults to "DOSBOX" when at a shell prompt, but changes when a program is executed. It appears that you're either using a build of modified source, or you're somehow running a shell program, probably COMMAND.COM, although I don't see how that could happen without you consciously doing so.

Reply 14 of 26, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Was this screenshot taken after running lookat ?
(as mvpi might do some shellout/crash to shell which causes the command.com as current program.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 16 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Not sure about a subshell - I just run the app and know nothing about programming.

It appears that the title bar switches to Program: COMMAND after I mount a C drive.

@ripsaw8080: putting the lookat files in a subfolder and mounting a c:drive to that folder didn't allow the program to run either.

I'm baffled, especially since "lookat" file ran once and showed me all the graphics files. I can't seem to re-create the scenario that allowed it to run once.

Would anyone be willing to play with "lookat" and the other files if I attach everythign in a zip archive?

Reply 19 of 26, by tonyinthecity

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks again for the suggestions. I tried reinstalling/redownloading the application once before. And i recopied the files over from the CD that they're on. That didn't help either.

I also tried the lookat *. command. No results. Also tried lookat with individual files. No results.