VOGONS

Tillamook

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you're running at 2.1v, you might try a mild overclock. I've seen where people have gotten those chips to 400mhz (100 x 4) stable on by turning up the volts. 133 x 3 might even be doable if you can find a Super 7 board that supports it..

Last edited by sliderider on 2011-05-29, 11:08. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 21 of 76, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why did you switch to this board? As far as I can tell it's got a SIS chipset and the FSB only goes up to 83Mhz.

The MVP4 chipset supports up to 10MHz FSB, so the performance should be a lot better if you intend to take the Tillamook to the limit.

But good to see the CPU working, as I've read speculations somewhere that it wouldn't work on Super socket 7 boards etc.

The Tillamook should crack the 400MHz mark at 4x100. Not sure about the 233Mhz variant, but the 266 should be able to do it.
I'd give 3.5x100@2.1V a try.

Tetrium wrote:
Mystery wrote:

Because the MVP3 chipsets won't boot with the 266 Tillamook until you disable the L2 cache

Any idea about the ALI ones?

I've read that the AladdinV chipset will work.
However, there's the problem with the early revisions, which have a bug with the cacheable area. This doesn't matter with a K6-2+ or III+ CPU, with integrated L2 cache, but for the P55C architecture you're limited to 128MB cacheable area unless the board has chipset revision "G".

I'll think I'll grab one or two of those 266 Tillamooks (sadly they're pretty expensive) and run them through my array of socket7 boards.

::42::

Reply 22 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mystery wrote:

Why did you switch to this board?

The MVP4 would only boot if you disable Tilly's L2 Cache.

This new motherboard boots and works properly, as per screenshot.

Last edited by SquallStrife on 2011-05-29, 11:22. Edited 1 time in total.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 23 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Look in this thread. Someone has a Tillamook on a Super 7 board but with issues.

(Pentium I) Why isn't this box snappier, and why is it a bit unstable?

BastlerMike states he has gotten Tillamooks as fast as 460mhz! Sounds like he's the one you want to talk to about these chips.

Reply 24 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
There are Tillamooks that came in PPGA package (the black package that the later Pentiums and easy PGA Celerons came in), they l […]
Show full quote

There are Tillamooks that came in PPGA package (the black package that the later Pentiums and easy PGA Celerons came in), they look exactly like the Pentium MMX's except for the print on the bottom between the pins.

They should work in Super 7 boards, but theres no guarantee they will work

Edit:It's sspec is SL2Z4 btw 😉
Theres 1 seller selling them for $20 each or so? Not very cheap but at least they are available

Edit2:
Pic (not mine): http://www.chipdb.org/img-intel-pentium-fv805 … -sl2z4-1284.htm

Unfortunately they are Chinese scrapyard desolders and most of those guys sell the chips as collectibles ONLY meaning they may or may not work and you won't be getting your money back or a replacement if they don't.

Found in the details of the listing

Attention!
( THE OLD CHIPS & CPU ONLY FOR COLLECTION ! ! )

I use mainly IC-China for that stuff and haven't gotten a bad chip yet.

Reply 25 of 76, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not my picture, taken from here.
tlmdscf3202.jpg
This was done with an Aladdin V chipset @2.2V and @4x115. This is pretty insane for a P55C. I'd love to see a speedsys shot with this FSB.

Unfortunately most of my So7 boards are MVP3.

Do you think these chinese SL2Z4 are junk? Can't imagine them all being faulty.

Reply 26 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote:
Mystery wrote:

Why did you switch to this board?

The MVP4 would only boot if you disable Tilly's L2 Cache.

This new motherboard boots and works properly, as per screenshot.

Which board is the new motherboard? ;D

Edit:

Mystery wrote:
http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8545/tlmdscf3202.jpg […]
Show full quote

tlmdscf3202.jpg

Talimook?!? 😵

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 27 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Unfortunately they are Chinese scrapyard desolders and most of those guys sell the chips as collectibles ONLY meaning they may o […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
There are Tillamooks that came in PPGA package (the black package that the later Pentiums and easy PGA Celerons came in), they l […]
Show full quote

There are Tillamooks that came in PPGA package (the black package that the later Pentiums and easy PGA Celerons came in), they look exactly like the Pentium MMX's except for the print on the bottom between the pins.

Theres 1 seller selling them for $20 each or so? Not very cheap but at least they are available

Edit2:

Unfortunately they are Chinese scrapyard desolders and most of those guys sell the chips as collectibles ONLY meaning they may or may not work and you won't be getting your money back or a replacement if they don't.

Attention!

I know exactly which seller you're talking about!

He's also active on cpu-world.com and I've bought 2 Tillamooks from him.
When I got them they look in perfect condition but I haven't tested them yet.

If anyone wants, I could test them tomorrow (going to Amsterdam today, no time to build up a test bench in my attic) and let you guys know if these chips are 1:working and 2:not remarked

Personally I don't think they are fake (or he would be frowned upon by the cpu-world community), but like I said, could test them tomorrow 😉

This seller puts "ONLY FOR COLLECTING!!!!!" on all his old chips, but it doesn't mean they won't work 😉

sliderider wrote:

You are right. Sorry, maybe I should've been more clear when I posted the link 😊
Indeed, they may or may not work.
Will test the 2 Tillamooks I bought from him tomorrow (though Monday will also be a very busy day for me

Last edited by Tetrium on 2011-05-29, 11:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Report spammers here!

Reply 28 of 76, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, the Talimook thing is weird, I guess they didn't really expect anyone to work with these CPUs 😉

It would be great if you could test the 2 CPUs you got from him. After all, he puts "100% working" in the title, but "only for collecting" in the description, so I'm slightly confused.

Reply 29 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I've tested a couple (not many!) of these desolders before and did find that not all of them worked, but the majority did. That doesn't mean they don't work anymore "because" they are desolders though.

Report spammers here!

Reply 30 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

And about overclocking later Super 6 chips, there are a couple classes of CPU's that should have VERY good overclocking potential, mostly the ones that have a VERY low voltage for a Socket 7 chip.
Anyone remember the Cyrix Socket 7 chips and hot hot and non-overclockable they were?
The very last generation of Cyrix MII's (recognizable by their 2.2v requirement instead of the usual 2.9v) run a LOT cooler and should have a LOT more headroom for overclocking compared to the 2.9v parts. 400Mhz on a Cyrix MII is very well a possibility.

The Tillamooks I think should have VERY good overclocking potential. Not only because of their already low voltage and because it's a die shrink of the Pentium MMX, but also because Intel purposefully rated them slower so they wouldn't compete with their Pentium 2 flagship 😉

Edit:Afaik these CPU's have a locked multiplier, just a fyi

Report spammers here!

Reply 31 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tetrium wrote:

Which board is the new motherboard? ;D

This one:

SquallStrife wrote:

The new motherboard is a Jetway (?) J-TX98B. It has an integrated CMI8330 !!!

Reply 32 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

SiS5598...that's only slightly better then a TX. The Tillamooks should shine in a Super 7 board, if only they could run with none of their caches disabled.

Any idea if they run with L2 cache on a SiS530?

Report spammers here!

Reply 33 of 76, by Mystery

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Tetrium wrote:

Edit:Afaik these CPU's have a locked multiplier, just a fyi

Wouldn't really matter, since the 266MMX has a 4x66 multi, making it perfect to run with an FSB of 100 or higher.

Can a 400MHz PentiumMMX outrun a PentiumII?

Reply 34 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
I know exactly which seller you're talking about! […]
Show full quote
sliderider wrote:
Unfortunately they are Chinese scrapyard desolders and most of those guys sell the chips as collectibles ONLY meaning they may o […]
Show full quote
Tetrium wrote:
Show full quote

Edit2:

Attention!

I know exactly which seller you're talking about!

He's also active on cpu-world.com and I've bought 2 Tillamooks from him.
When I got them they look in perfect condition but I haven't tested them yet.

If anyone wants, I could test them tomorrow (going to Amsterdam today, no time to build up a test bench in my attic) and let you guys know if these chips are 1:working and 2:not remarked

Personally I don't think they are fake (or he would be frowned upon by the cpu-world community), but like I said, could test them tomorrow 😉

This seller puts "ONLY FOR COLLECTING!!!!!" on all his old chips, but it doesn't mean they won't work 😉

sliderider wrote:

You are right. Sorry, maybe I should've been more clear when I posted the link 😊
Indeed, they may or may not work.
Will test the 2 Tillamooks I bought from him tomorrow (though Monday will also be a very busy day for me

I realize that they might still work even though they say for collection only, but he gets himself off the hook with Paypal by not selling his chips as functioning parts but as collectibles only. You can't make a complaint to Paypal to get your money back because you were never buying a functioning chip to start with. If it does just happen to work when you get it, that's great, but you would have no right to complain if it didn't. The people I buy from state in their listings whether the chips work or not so I have a little more leverage for getting refunds or replacements.

Something else to consider when dealing with these guys from China, Taiwan, or Hong Kong, is the wait time for the parts to arrive. The last package I got from China took about 5 weeks to arrive and that was before the terrorists started sending explosives via UPS and FedEx. After that happened, wait times for all packages went up. I ordered a part from a guy in Germany that took 7 weeks to arrive after that. I wasn't waiting more than 10 days for packages from Europe before then. Wait times on packages from China will probably be held for inspection at least as long.

Reply 35 of 76, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Mystery wrote:
Not my picture, taken from here. http://img828.imageshack.us/img828/8545/tlmdscf3202.jpg This was done with an Aladdin V chipset […]
Show full quote

Not my picture, taken from here.
tlmdscf3202.jpg
This was done with an Aladdin V chipset @2.2V and @4x115. This is pretty insane for a P55C. I'd love to see a speedsys shot with this FSB.

Unfortunately most of my So7 boards are MVP3.

Do you think these chinese SL2Z4 are junk? Can't imagine them all being faulty.

OMG the Taliban are making computers now! 🤣

Reply 36 of 76, by BigBodZod

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Haha, yeah, I was wondering if any of the BIOS/CMOS POST screens would mis-spell my fathers hometown 😉

Yes, it is a real town on the Oregon Coast about 80 ~ 90 miles from Portland.

It is a coastal indian tribe name like so many towns and cities are named after in the USA.

Most of the CPU designs are made at Intel's Hillsboro, OR facilities and the folks like to use local names in the design of said CPU's...

No matter where you go, there you are...

Reply 37 of 76, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I won't be testing today. Had a busy day and I'm too tired to build up the test bench and look through the mess of boxes for a suitable mobo.

I'm thinking of testing with either a TX97-X or a TX97-XE...if I figure out how to set the voltage to like 2.2v or something.

Report spammers here!

Reply 38 of 76, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Got it cranked up to 266MHz on this Jetway board. I'm getting some sort of Super Socket 7 board off a dude on another forum, if it allows the use of L2 cache with the Tilly then I should be able to have some fun with it! 😀