VOGONS

First post, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Has anyone done this? Is there a way to use the onboard video ONLY for 2D and have all games utilize the Voodoo2?

Reply 1 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

Has anyone done this? Is there a way to use the onboard video ONLY for 2D and have all games utilize the Voodoo2?

I thought Voodoo 2 only did Glide?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 16, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Roughly a decade ago I had a similar configuration (using an onboard Rage II+ along with a Monster 3D II), running under Windows 98 SE. As far as I remember the Voodoo2 card took over all 3D functions, including Direct3D games.

What seems to be the problem?

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 3 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:

I thought Voodoo 2 only did Glide?

You can play opengl games with Voodoos.

Reply 4 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Pippy P. Poopypants wrote:

Roughly a decade ago I had a similar configuration (using an onboard Rage II+ along with a Monster 3D II), running under Windows 98 SE. As far as I remember the Voodoo2 card took over all 3D functions, including Direct3D games.

The problem is with non-Glide games the system is dog slow like the Rage is running the games instead of the Voodoo. Where should I be looking to make changes to make sure that all games run through the Voodoo instead of the Rage?

Reply 5 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:

The problem is with non-Glide games the system is dog slow like the Rage is running the games instead of the Voodoo. Where should I be looking to make changes to make sure that all games run through the Voodoo instead of the Rage?

Exchange the Rage for a 2D only card? That way if a game works, it's got to be the Voodoo 😁

Report spammers here!

Reply 6 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Exchange the Rage for a 2D only card? That way if a game works, it's got to be the Voodoo 😁

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to dig out my Tseng, I guess, and see if that does anything.

Reply 7 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
sliderider wrote:

Perhaps an easier way would be to start up a game, then remove the passthrough cable?

Yeah, that sounds like a good idea. I'm going to have to dig out my Tseng, I guess, and see if that does anything.

Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I had a very similar setup once as well.

For OpenGL games, you need to copy the file 3dfxvgl.dll (which I think is normally found in system32) to the directory of the game's executable and rename it to opengl32.dll . You might also manage to do something with WickedGL, but I didn't mess around much with that.

DirectX games are a little more complicated. It's possible to switch back and forth between the cards in some situations; I forget what the utility I used was called, but all it really did was rename a particular registry key. I think there's a problem if you're using the last official drivers for the Rage card, however; since they support a later DirectX version than the Voodoo drivers, games will always default to using them.

Tetrium wrote:

Perhaps an easier way would be to start up a game, then remove the passthrough cable?

Aside from the monitor, I don't think any of the hardware actually cares if the passthrough cable is there or not.

Reply 10 of 16, by Pippy P. Poopypants

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
sliderider wrote:

For simplicity I always used Microsoft's drivers for the Rage. The extra stuff that came with ATI's drivers were of little use to me anyway.

GUIs and reviews of other random stuff

Вфхуи ZoPиЕ m
СФИР Et. SEPOHЖ
Chebzon фt Ymeztoix © 1959 zem

Reply 11 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Jorpho wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Aside from the monitor, I don't think any of the hardware actually cares if the passthrough cable is there or not.

Unless it's the actual 3D card (and not the Voodoo 2) that's doing the 3D, right?

Report spammers here!

Reply 12 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Tetrium wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

Unless it's the actual 3D card (and not the Voodoo 2) that's doing the 3D, right?

I was trying to think how to respond to that and was getting confused, but if you unplug the passthrough and the game is still running on the monitor, then that would mean that the Rage is running it and not the Voodoo, right?

Reply 13 of 16, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
sliderider wrote:
Tetrium wrote:
Jorpho wrote:

I was trying to think how to respond to that and was getting confused, but if you unplug the passthrough and the game is still running on the monitor, then that would mean that the Rage is running it and not the Voodoo, right?

The other way around. I understood that when the Voodoo 2 card is not active, it merely sends the signals it receives from the other card to the monitor without "touching" it.

If you're using a Voodoo 2 and play Glide, disconnecting the cable shouldn't do much, but browsing around in Windows and disconnecting the cable = monitor should display "No signal" 😉

Edit:With cable, I'm talking about the short passthrough cable that runs from the normal card to the Voodoo.

Report spammers here!

Reply 14 of 16, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

My guess here is that the Rage is taking the role of the primary DirectX Accelerator. You can either get software to reassign them (what leileilol was talking about with power strip,) or within some applications there will be an option to choose where it is to use the primary or secondary accelerator.

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 15 of 16, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Come to think of it, I think 3D Control Center was the program I was using long ago.

Tetrium wrote:
Jorpho wrote:
Tetrium wrote:

If the question is how to test whether the Voodoo2 is being used, then yes, that would be one way of doing it. But I thought the question was how to make all games run through the Voodoo instead of the Rage, in which case the software isn't going to care if the passthrough cable is there.

The performance difference between a Rage and the Voodoo2 is so vast it would be hard to mistake them, I'd think.

Reply 16 of 16, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Performance? Only if the game uses 4bit+ alpha blend channels (usually everything after...... roughly June 1998) you'll notice it tank.

Also, Voodoo2 has a distinctive filter on its DAC, so it's obvious when the Voodoo2 is used because the picture will appear blurry. There's also a default high gamma table.

If you need more help making it obvious, drop this in your AUTOEXEC.BAT:

SET FX_GLIDE_SHAMELESS_PLUG = 1

This will cause a 3dfx logo to appear in the bottom right

apsosig.png
long live PCem