VOGONS

Only 15mb RAM being detected on DOS 6.22 (1024mb available)

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Before I get into specs and everything else pertaining my PC, what could possibly cause DOS 6.22 to only detect 15mb out of all the available ram memory which amounts to a massive (for a retro rig) 1024mb?

I know DOS software has it hard detecting high-end single-core CPU's, and perhaps it's mistaken mine for one of those ancient CPU's whose architecture couldn't handle more than 15mb's, or perhaps it's merely a bad combination of memory settings.

Any thoughts?

Reply 3 of 16, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Well according to this page

http://www.computing.net/answers/dos/memory-l … -622/14433.html

DOS 6.22 has a 64mb memory limitation, so even if you manage to get your problem solved, 6.22 is still not going to allow you to use all your memory. Later versions may ease the memory limitation but I'm not sure if they will go all the way to 1gb. DOS may also be having issues with your CPU. I know Windows 95 and 98 have issues with CPU's above 2.0 ghz so DOS may have a similar problem. The problem for Windows 95/98 was fixed with a patch (which you have to hunt for because I don't think Microsoft has it for download anymore) but I don't think they would have bothered to fix DOS.

Reply 7 of 16, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

DOS 6.22's.

It's worth noting that advanced memory managers such as QEMM may detect the whole thing and address as much as 256mb, but somehow they tend to break compatibility with certain games and I don't have time to go through a crapload of settings to locate the offender.

Reply 8 of 16, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The reason you only see 15Mb it extended you forgot take in count of 1Mb conventional and upper memory equals 16Mb
Sound like you don't have something config rigth
You know MS-DOS 7.10 will recognize much more memory than 64MB and so will FreeDOS
As for QEMM you want 7.5 and is 256Mb limitation from what I recall

Reply 9 of 16, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OP needs an XMS driver. XMS2 can see 64mb (himem.sys from msdos 6.22). XMS3 can see all (himem.sys from later versions of win9x). it is the dos apps that cannot see it so you need to use a virtual ramdisk to make use of the rest of ram. that's how i understood it back then.

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 10 of 16, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sklawz wrote:
lo […]
Show full quote

lo

no idea if this is relevant but play with that
obscure option in the bios called 1mb memory
hole which so happens to be between 15-16 MB.

bye

This is my guess also. Try the BIOS and search for such an option.

Reply 13 of 16, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Make sure it one from Win98 Second Edition and not Win98 Gold Edition
Also make sure you disable OS/2 64MB option set it to NoN-OS2 this know cuases problem as well
As sklawz point out some bios motherboard may have this option know as Memory hole at 15-16 MB you should disable it and if your motherboard has no ISA you will bot see that option.
The one you want himem.sys, 33191

Reply 14 of 16, by SavantStrike

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
shspvr wrote:
Make sure it one from Win98 Second Edition and not Win98 Gold Edition Also make sure you disable OS/2 64MB option set it to NoN- […]
Show full quote

Make sure it one from Win98 Second Edition and not Win98 Gold Edition
Also make sure you disable OS/2 64MB option set it to NoN-OS2 this know cuases problem as well
As sklawz point out some bios motherboard may have this option know as Memory hole at 15-16 MB you should disable it and if your motherboard has no ISA you will bot see that option.
The one you want himem.sys, 33191

There was a gold edition?

Now you've got me curious here 😀.

Reply 15 of 16, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It gose like this
Windows 95
Windows 95A with Service Pack 1 or as OSR 1.0
Windows 95B OSR 2.0
Windows 95B OSR 2.1 with USB Supplement
Windows 95C OSR 2.5 with USB Supplement and IE4
OSR = OEM Service Release
Windows 98 First Edition aka Gold
Windows 98 Second Edition aka SE
Windows Millennium Edition aka ME
There are 4 ver Microsoft Plus! = 95, 98, Kids and Game Pack
I was beta tester for ever one of ver above even WinNT4, WinNT5 aka Windows 200 and Windows XP
I hated ME and drop out of Vista half done I didn't want deal with carp agine like ME boy I was rigth Vista was a major failer.

Reply 16 of 16, by Barry_Purplelips

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

himem.sys from win98 brings at least 2GB to MSDOS 6.22

Ok, I finally got around replacing himem.sys and it worked beautifully 😎 Not sure how much it actually managed to allocate, but the ancient mem.com reports about 68mb, which's more than enough anyways.

It's case closed for me I guess. Thanks everyone for your help.