VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

OK, I have no idea if anyone's gonna be able to figure this out, but a very long time ago I remember playing this game on someone's computer that was very obviously a Windows 3.1 dungeon crawl and I have not been able to find it since. The only things I remember for sure was that it was exceptionally difficult, the game played out in a corner of the window while stats were listed in other corners, the game used graphics, not ASCII characters, and the walls were red while the background was black.

Beyond that, the aspects I only THINK I remember, which could be wrong, are that the gameplay is in the bottom left corner and that the title is a three-letter acronym, the first letter of which might be L.

...yeah, that's all I have to go on. Now that I'm older and am more confident with games overall I've wanted to try this game again, but my searches have never turned up anything. Any ideas? Anyone?

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 2 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No.

But, I never heard of that game and I'm always interested to learn more about games I never heard of. ;)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 3 of 10, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Was it a Roguelike, but with graphics instead of text characters? A Windows 3.x dungeon crawl makes me think of Castle of the Winds, but I'm sure there were quite a few...

Reply 5 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ripsaw8080 wrote:

Was it a Roguelike, but with graphics instead of text characters? A Windows 3.x dungeon crawl makes me think of Castle of the Winds, but I'm sure there were quite a few...

I *THINK* it was a Roguelike, but none of the ones listed on the page you linked to.

Castle of The Winds is a fun one. I've actually beaten the full version on Experts Only skill... took many days of gameplay.

leileilol wrote:

Mordor?

No, but that one looks intriguing too.

The walls in the game I'm remembering were solid tiles, not lines separating tiles.

If it helps any, I remember the machine I was playing this on was a Windows 3.1 system, but did NOT have MS-DOS running in the background, instead it used something like PC-DOS or some other DOS clone.

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 7 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miki Maus wrote:

Moraff's Revenge or Moraff's World?

No. Those are DOS games and again have walls separating tiles instead of solid wall tiles, plus are in 3D. (The game I'm trying to find has no 3D view.)

Those Moraff titles are fun though. Really should get the full verions someday. :)

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)

Reply 9 of 10, by jmrydholm

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The 3.1 point and click version of Shadowgate and Uninvited (though not a "dungeon" per se) was pretty sweet, IMHO. Though not the one you are looking for.

"The height of strategy, is to attack your opponent’s strategy” -Sun Tzu
“Make your fighting stance, your everyday stance and make your everyday stance, your fighting stance.” - Musashi
SET BLASTER = A220 I5 D1 T3 P330 E620 OMG WTF BBQ

Reply 10 of 10, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Miki Maus wrote:

Are you sure it was native Win 3.x game?

Pretty sure. Although I found it odd that it presented itself in a black window with white text and such, I remember the title bar showed the full name of the game, there was a menu bar, and there was an icon, but I don't remember the contents of these features.

A part of me has always wondered if perhaps this game was something being made by the person who owned the computer I was using since I wasn't able to find it back then either, plus the game just had this incomplete feel about it, but it never bugged out or anything.

*shrugs*

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)