VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by kasperlindvig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I am trying to make dosbox use the full screen as opposed to it's default behavior of pillarboxing. I've had some success with the following settings in dosbox 0.74:

fullresolution=1280x720
windowresolution=1280x720
output=ddraw
machine=ega or vgaonly
aspect=true or false
scaler=none

What this gives me is almost widescreen. Meaning there is still some unused space at the very right of the screen. Trying to run a game at ega or vga is impossible though, as I receive the message:
"you must run vesa.com"
Therefore I suspect that what I need to do is change machine back to svga_s3 and make some other changes to the settings that will make dosbox stretch it's default 4:3 screen to 16:9 and thereby fill the entire widescreen. The screen is FHD=1920:1080. Dosbox however cannot make use of more than a fraction of that in full screen, so 1280x720 seems to be the closest I can get to full widescreen at this point in time.
I have heard people making statements that earlier versions of dosbox such as 0.73 and before were able to do what I require, so my problem could also be related to some changes in dosbox that have occured over time. If anyone with success have been able to stretch dosbox to widescreen, so that not only the command prompt in full screen, but also 4:3 games are being stretched to 16:9, then I am eager to hear what they have done.

Sincerely Kasper

Reply 1 of 8, by Miki Maus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

If I'm not mistaken DOSBox only works with/stretches to 4:3 and 8:5 aspect ratios depending on the game and aspect=true/false setting. Or something like that. Usually the smaller part of the resolution setting will be obeyed while the bigger part stretches depending on the game resolution.

So your 1280x720 resolution will actually be 1152x720 or 960x720. While, for example, 1280x1024 would actually be 1280x800 or 1280x960.

Reply 2 of 8, by kasperlindvig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks for the reply.
Would it be possible to make a request for a future feature in dosbox that would enable true widescreen support? I.e making scaling old 4:3 format to the new 16:9 format a native ability of dosbox.

Reply 4 of 8, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Stretching an image only works if you are stretching both horizontally AND vertically by the same ratio and even then pixelation become an issue. Trying to run a 320 x 200 DOS game in HD, if it works at all, is going to look terrible not only because the aspect ratio will be wrong but because of the huge, blocky pixels that will become much more obvious.

Reply 5 of 8, by kasperlindvig

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The image might get "ugly", but I prefer it in some games that only occupy a tiny fraction of the screen (16:9). Besides what I ask for is a stretch in only the width of the image and not the height. It should be possible with some modification to the software in dosbox. Besides such a feature gives the user a choice between normal and stretched mode, so that he can decide which looks best in each and every situation he encounters. Some games look best when stretched to the entire width of the screen, and some games look best at it's original aspect ratio. Giving the user the choice is all I'm asking for.

Reply 6 of 8, by Gamecollector

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Can you please list a dos game with _native_ 16:9 or 16:10 support?

Asus P4P800 SE/Pentium4 3.2E/2 Gb DDR400B,
Radeon HD3850 Agp (Sapphire), Catalyst 14.4 (XpProSp3).
Voodoo2 12 MB SLI, Win2k drivers 1.02.00 (XpProSp3).

Reply 7 of 8, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, it wouldn't look as good, but you can make DOSBOX use 1600x1000 or so with Aspect=false, then in your video card settings, set that as a custom resolution that fills the entire screen. It's what I do.

I personally use 1280x800 (because my monitor is not 1920x1080) but any multiple of 320x200 should work as long as the dimensions are above 640x480.

Reply 8 of 8, by VileR

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
h-a-l-9000 wrote:

Why do you want an ugly stretched image? It's meant to display 4:3.

I've seen enough people watch 4:3 content on widescreen TVs and INSIST on stretching it, even when they know full well how to set the aspect ratio properly.... I guess some people feel that they must use every inch of their monitor 100% of the time, otherwise they're not getting their money's worth or something, so they prefer a deformed picture to a good one (as long as it's bigger, therefore better and extreme and BADASS!)