VOGONS

First post, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Hardware: Epox 8KTA3+Pro (KT133A), GeForce3 Ti 200 (LeadTek Winfast), 256MB PC-133, ~1.6 GHz CPU, 4GB CF device, 133 FSB, no overclocking.
Software: Windows 98 SE (fresh install), DX8.1, two George Breese patches: PCI latency, the memory interleaving.

Before running all of the tests below, I defragged the CF, and I set the Control Panel -> power options to "always on". I also set the DVD-ROM to use DMA. Between every test, I rebooted the machine. Also, when I changed nVidia drivers, I uninstalled them using the the "add/remove" software method, and then I also ran Driver Cleaner 2.7. I set the desktop to 1024x768x32, and ran all video tests with that setting.

Including the 3DMark 2001 s.e. test was very useful, because this test can help determine system and AGP stability, as well as providing a benchmark score. It was unfortunate that the last (and currently only available) LeadTek/WinFast specific nVidia driver (version 61.21) caused freezing problems with 3D Mark 2001 s.e. Apparently it's a problem with VIA chipsets, and there's a (mobo BIOS?) patch for it. Unfortunately, I am using the latest BIOS on my Epox board, and so I had to remove that driver version from my tests. Pity, because it worked well with the other benchmark tests, scoring good points.

The essence of these tests is to see what happens to the benchmark scores when -

a) no VIA 4in1 service pack is used
b) various VIA 4in1 service pack versions are used
c) when tests a) and b) are being done, to see what happens to the benchmark scores when the unofficial SP isn't installed, and then is installed.

When I installed the VIA 4in1 service packs, I chose to install all options. If the AGP segment had an option, I chose "turbo mode". When I installed the unofficial Windows 98 SE service pack 2.1a, I just selected "main updates" only.

oneB.jpg
two.jpg
three.jpg

notes.jpg

Reply 1 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Nice post!

I'm quite startled by the big differences in performance shown here.

Can you say anything about VIA's stability btw? Or was your testing crash-free?

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 2 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks a lot. It took ages. On and off, a couple of days to do. Everything was crash free. But the removal of the ATAPI fix was interesting -

I rolled back the CF device to the beginning again, so it had a fresh Win98SE installation on it. I then installed the VIA 4-in-1 SP, version 4.37. I ticked all of its installation options. I noticed when I tried to benchmark Serious Sam, the demo stuttered for about 0.5 seconds during play, and consequently the benchmark readings provided by this game were incomplete. I tried 3 reboots, and this problem occured all 3 times. I then reran the VIA SP 4.37, and chose to uninstall the ATAPI fix. And that fixed this problem! 😀

The results obtained for 4.37 were roughly inline with previous VIA SPs, but the 3D Mark score is a bit poor. Conclusion: 4.35 seems to be the best out of the four SPs I tried.
four.jpg

Reply 3 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
retro games 100 wrote:
Thanks a lot. It took ages. On and off, a couple of days to do. Everything was crash free. But the removal of the ATAPI fix […]
Show full quote

Thanks a lot. It took ages. On and off, a couple of days to do. Everything was crash free. But the removal of the ATAPI fix was interesting -

I rolled back the CF device to the beginning again, so it had a fresh Win98SE installation on it. I then installed the VIA 4-in-1 SP, version 4.37. I ticked all of its installation options. I noticed when I tried to benchmark Serious Sam, the demo stuttered for about 0.5 seconds during play, and consequently the benchmark readings provided by this game were incomplete. I tried 3 reboots, and this problem occured all 3 times. I then reran the VIA SP 4.37, and chose to uninstall the ATAPI fix. And that fixed this problem! 😀

The results obtained for 4.37 were roughly inline with previous VIA SPs, but the 3D Mark score is a bit poor. Conclusion: 4.35 seems to be the best out of the four SPs I tried.
four.jpg

Yup, seems VIA SP 4.35 + NV 43.45 is the way forward here!

I think your research into KT133A the 98SE SP 2.1 and the NV drivers will be quite useful for future setups of mine! 😉
The fact that the 98SE SP doesn't influence performance is any significant way is imo a good thing. Iirc the SP was meant to only provide updates, more features and increased stability, essentially making 98SE more "modern" 😉

Any idea about the Radeons and their performance?

A bit off topic: Think it would be a good idea to start somekind of knowledge-base thread where we can all post our experiences with VIA and what drivers/software_packages work best for us?

Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 10, by elianda

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

So did you checked that your memory timing were set such way that they allowed rank interleave? Did you use a 2 or 4 interleave?
Are you sure that 23.11 didn't had a AGP speed fallback?
Is the Atapi Fix something to prevent the data corruption on Port2 if there is high PCI traffic?

Retronn.de - Vintage Hardware Gallery, Drivers, Guides, Videos. Now with file search
Youtube Channel
FTP Server - Driver Archive and more
DVI2PCIe alignment and 2D image quality measurement tool

Reply 6 of 10, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

VIA s370 and KT133(A) seem like motherboards that require a bit of tweaking to get working correctly, kinda like Super 7

Report spammers here!

Reply 7 of 10, by retro games 100

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Re: check memory timing: There's no interleave BIOS option for this board. I think the idea behind the patch is to enable it, but I don't know any more details.

Re: Are you sure that 23.11 didn't had a AGP speed fallback? Say if 23.11 has a "speed fallback" (I'm not sure what you mean), I don't think you can enable it to dramatically improve performance.

Re: Atapi Fix. ATM, my board has no PCI add-in cards, so the successful uninstall of this particular VIA component seemed to assist performance in other non-PCI ways.

Re: Radeons. Actually, I tried to get a Radeon 9800 XT working in this mobo, but it wouldn't POST. I think the previous owner's replacement capacitor near the AGP slot prevents this card from being properly seated!

Re: knowledgebase threads. Can't see anything wrong with that idea! 😀

Reply 8 of 10, by Maf

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
retro games 100 wrote:

When I installed the VIA 4in1 service packs, I chose to install all options. If the AGP segment had an option, I chose "turbo mode".

I've just installed 4in1 4.35 on my new rig and 'Standard mode' was selected by default. What is the actual difference between Standard and Turbo mode and which one is preferred?

Reply 9 of 10, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a tool for tweaking the VIA memory interleave (as most bios have it wrong), I forgot the name of it at the moment... my win98 machine is currently offline, when I get it put back together I'll post the tool. It uses a vxd to override the bios and set the memory interleave. You can also adjust the ram timings with it and other things.

There is also a later version of the tool which uses a sys driver and works in 2k/xp.

Reply 10 of 10, by boxpressed

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Necrobump.

Thanks for this comparison. I recently set up a KT133A build and used the 4-in-1 driver that was on the installation CD, 4.43v.

I use 45.23 with my Ti4600, so I was wondering whether it would be worth it to install 4.35. Unless I'm missing something, the only major difference I see is with the WinTune 98 "Video" score.

Also, I am using a fresh Win98SE install + DX8.1 but not the Breese patches.