VOGONS

Best old joystick!

Topic actions

First post, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello every body.

I want to acquire a 4 button\4 axis joystick for my DOS machine.

I'd like a sort of all-in-one thing: that is, maybe throttle on the side of the joystick, and twisting handle for rudder control.

What do you guys use\suggest?

Last edited by rug on 2011-06-25, 23:42. Edited 1 time in total.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 1 of 47, by Davros

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

With twist handle ms sidewinder precision pro
joy1.jpg

also comes with a usb attatchment so its godd for win 9x

Edit May not work in dos - sorry

the earlier stick the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro Joystick does work in dos but there are issues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder#3D_Pro

apart from that I dont remember any dos joysticks with a twist rudder

Guardian of the Sacred Five Terabyte's of Gaming Goodness

Reply 2 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:
With twist handle ms sidewinder precision pro http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/joy1.jpg/ […]
Show full quote

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/28/joy1.jpg/

the earlier stick the Microsoft SideWinder 3D Pro Joystick does work in dos but there are issues
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_SideWinder#3D_Pro

apart from that I dont remember any dos joysticks with a twist rudder

I used to have the Force Feedback version of this stick. I have to say, it was one of the best joysticks I've ever had! Super stable, 4-axis, enough buttons, excellent FF. Just didn't like the external power supply...

Regarding the 3D pro, I must say it's ugly!! 😁

I just need 4-axis and 4 buttons, that's all, no fancy programming, or summat! So if the issues are the other buttons not working, that's OK.

Surely, there must be some 4-axis\4 button joysticks that work in DOS?

Last edited by rug on 2011-07-02, 14:02. Edited 2 times in total.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 4 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
leileilol wrote:

One of the Logitech Wangmans i think

Don't you mean "Wingmans" (That's what google told me hehehe)?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 5 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Logitech's page on the Wingman joystick:

http://www.logitech.com/en-gb/486/3381

No info about the stick whatsoever! Not even a bloody decent picture! Logitech is loosing quality very fast...

Bought the MX1100, the laser is rubbish, gigantic latency, the software doesn't allow to program the buttons freely...

Oops, a bit off-topic there! 😉

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 6 of 47, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was a huge Gravis fan. They made fantastic joysticks and I finished all the Wing Commander games with a Gravis stick.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 7 of 47, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Doesn't have a twist grip, but I'll swear by my old CH Products FlightStick Pro 😀 I also have a standard FlightStick (non-pro), and with a joystick "Y" cable it can be connected in combination with the FSP (left hand on the standard FS for rudder and throttle, and right hand on the FSP for everything else... although the FSP _does_ have one of those throttle sliders on it).

Many a badguy has been totally demolished using this combination; in Wing Commander, Wing Commander 2, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter 😀

Also, when I was lazy (didn't feel like hooking up my CHP Virtual Pilot Pro and Thrustmaster rudder pedals), I'd simply use the above combo for flight simming as well.

(edit) That combo ALSO works great for Decent, Terminal Velocity, and Terra Nova too 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel
http://www.richnagel.net

Reply 9 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rfnagel wrote:
Doesn't have a twist grip, but I'll swear by my old CH Products FlightStick Pro :) I also have a standard FlightStick (non-pro), […]
Show full quote

Doesn't have a twist grip, but I'll swear by my old CH Products FlightStick Pro 😀 I also have a standard FlightStick (non-pro), and with a joystick "Y" cable it can be connected in combination with the FSP (left hand on the standard FS for rudder and throttle, and right hand on the FSP for everything else... although the FSP _does_ have one of those throttle sliders on it).

Many a badguy has been totally demolished using this combination; in Wing Commander, Wing Commander 2, X-Wing, and Tie Fighter 😀

Also, when I was lazy (didn't feel like hooking up my CHP Virtual Pilot Pro and Thrustmaster rudder pedals), I'd simply use the above combo for flight simming as well.

(edit) That combo ALSO works great for Decent, Terminal Velocity, and Terra Nova too 😀

Wouldn't you have to keep pushing the left stick up, otherwise the throttle would return to zero?

But you got my point, Rich. I want a stick with all axis & buttons, easy to connect, so I don't have to daisy-chain my keyboard, mouse, throttle, etc, etc,... If I just want a quick game of F-19, eg, there's no point in connecting lots of cables, just for a half hour game.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 11 of 47, by Jolaes76

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are the +2 axes beside standard X and Y the twist controls ?

These two do not have those but still can be a good choice:

I have a Genius F-23 Digital (Flight 2000, gameport) and there is no problem with its 8 buttons + HAT + throttle + rudder, all work in TIE Fighter /Win 98/ using its own driver. All functionality can be accessed in Windows, in DOS it is CH Flightstick Pro compatible. This is a cheap but precise joystick. I have a Logitech Wingman as well (the very first, two button analogue flightstick with throttle) which I can also recommend. But you still need to rely on keyboard controls for many functions, especially in advanced flight sims.
For most arcade shooters, a more robust, simple joystick is preferred.

"Ita in vita ut in lusu alae pessima iactura arte corrigenda est."

Reply 12 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Davros wrote:

you wont get a 4 axis 4 button stick its more than the gameport can handle

Theoretically, I can't see why a gameport wouldn't handle 4-axis\4-buttons:

http://www.rahji.com/wordpress/wp-content/upl … ystick_port.png

According to this pinout, there are 4 axis and 4 buttons available...

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 13 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Jolaes76 wrote:
Are the +2 axes beside standard X and Y the twist controls ? […]
Show full quote

Are the +2 axes beside standard X and Y the twist controls ?

These two do not have those but still can be a good choice:

I have a Genius F-23 Digital (Flight 2000, gameport) and there is no problem with its 8 buttons + HAT + throttle + rudder, all work in TIE Fighter /Win 98/ using its own driver. All functionality can be accessed in Windows, in DOS it is CH Flightstick Pro compatible. This is a cheap but precise joystick. I have a Logitech Wingman as well (the very first, two button analogue flightstick with throttle) which I can also recommend. But you still need to rely on keyboard controls for many functions, especially in advanced flight sims.
For most arcade shooters, a more robust, simple joystick is preferred.

Yes, the 2 extra axis are for rudder and throttle.

The Genius is a pretty joystick. I like it, but doesn't have rudder. 🙁

I just use sticks for flight simulators, though.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 14 of 47, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
sliderider wrote:

The only games I ever thought that worked better with a stick than a pad were flight sims, and I didn't really play those.

Hehe, I HATE gamepads, except for ONE thing... One Must Fall, and similar games 😀

rug wrote:

Wouldn't you have to keep pushing the left stick up, otherwise the throttle would return to zero?

I forgot to mention... the left-hand stick (the standard FlightStick; non-pro), I had removed the vertical axis (up and down) spring <grin>.

rug wrote:

Theoretically, I can't see why a gameport wouldn't handle 4-axis\4-buttons

Any standard gameport handles 4 axes and 4 buttons just fine (that's how my previously mentioned setup worked) 😀 Oh... and of course, a main priority for me, my MIDI in and out 😀

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 15 of 47, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Davros wrote:
With twist handle ms sidewinder precision pro http://img28.imageshack.us/img28/3219/joy1.jpg […]
Show full quote

joy1.jpg

bret johnson made DOS drivers for the sidewinder:

http://www.bretjohnson.us/

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 16 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tikbalang wrote:

bret johnson made DOS drivers for the sidewinder:

http://www.bretjohnson.us/

That site rulez! Thanks a bunch.

Lots of nice DOS little programs.

But, I've read the Sidewinder driver's documentation, and I think it doesn't support joystick, just the gamepad.

Have you ever used this driver with a digital joystick in DOS?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 17 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

CH Flightstick or Flightstick Pro. Work great for both lefties and righties, unlike many other contoured sticks. Very smooth, light movement and a small deadzone. Available in USB and gameport versions. 😉

rfnagel and I know best. 😁

I also like my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad for racers. It works well for space sims too.

Reply 18 of 47, by rfnagel

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
swaaye wrote:

Available in USB and gameport versions. 😉

Heh, I never knew they offered USB versions... cool 😀 Mine are so damned old, purchased WELL before Al Gore "invented" the Internet... or for that matter, before USB ports were common <grin>.

Rich ¥Weeds¥ Nagel

Reply 19 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
swaaye wrote:

CH Flightstick or Flightstick Pro. Work great for both lefties and righties, unlike many other contoured sticks. Very smooth, light movement and a small deadzone. Available in USB and gameport versions. 😉

rfnagel and I know best. 😁

I also like my Logitech Wingman Rumblepad for racers. It works well for space sims too.

You're missing my point: 4-Axis\4-buttons, DOS, no USB.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.