VOGONS

Best old joystick!

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 47, by tikbalang

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rug wrote:

Have you ever used this driver with a digital joystick in DOS?

no, sorry. i was hoping it would work. try the other driver here:

http://arcadecontrols.com/arcade_downloads.shtml

ESS PCI DOS Drivers

Reply 21 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It's also for the gamepad 🙁

Thanks anyway, tikbalang.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 22 of 47, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rug wrote:

You're missing my point: 4-Axis\4-buttons, DOS, no USB.

What games do you want to play and what input hardware to they support? DOS games often assume a basic 2 axis 2-4 button joystick.

Check this old joystick roundup out:
http://www.imagebam.com/gallery/9c59a7c333123 … d60a35e3c12783/

Reply 23 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't have a particular game in mind, but it's good to have the option, just in case. 😉

Anyway, your link is SIMPLY BRILLIANT! Thanks a lot for that. Please everybody, if you want a broad review of mid 90's joysticks, DO CLICK THAT LINK!!

Bookmarked!!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

My DOS machine: MS-DOS 6.22, Pentium MMX 200MHz, 64MB RAM, AWE64 Gold, 4GB HD, Philips 19" CRT, 3"1/2 Floppy, CDROM, Parallel ZIP, ThrustMaster FLCS+TQL+Elite.

Reply 24 of 47, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've used one of these, and it's still holding up today:
http://www.lulays.com/jr/images/logitech/wing … medigital3d.gif
I'm not sure how well it works in DOS, but I recall reading that it emulates a Thrustmaster FCS. It is a gameport joystick.

Reply 25 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Good Ol' TarviS wrote:

I've used one of these, and it's still holding up today:
http://www.lulays.com/jr/images/logitech/wing … medigital3d.gif
I'm not sure how well it works in DOS, but I recall reading that it emulates a Thrustmaster FCS. It is a gameport joystick.

That would be more than enough for me, although the throttle lever seems to be very fragile.

I can't find much info about it on the web, but it seems to be digital, so I think it wouldn't be compatible with DOS.

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 26 of 47, by elfuego

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I still have Gravis Analog Pro, still works. Didnt use it much though. I used it only for Commander Keen almost 20 years ago and many years later for Caddilacs and Dinosaurs and punisher on mame 😀

I think I also used it a bit for MiG29 Fulcrum and F16 Falcon...

I kinda prefer the keyboard 😀

Reply 27 of 47, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

sidewinder 3d pro, stills feels like brand new after 15 years

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16
PC#3: 386DX-40 | 32MB | CL-GD5434 | SB Pro | GUS MAX | PAS16

Think you know your games music? Show us: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=37532

Reply 28 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
schlang wrote:

Does it work properly in DOS?

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 29 of 47, by sklawz

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

hi

i have a gravis firebird and it definitely works in DOS.

here is an image:
p1010580r.th.jpg

the application tool works in DOS and win95 dos box
which does stuff like enable the trim and assign the
extra buttons to keyboard key strokes. it comes with
a whole bunch of pre-created profiles.

if you can find one of these go for it. i use it for DOOM
and it works well.

the app is still online at ftp.gravis.com:
ftp://ftp.gravis.com/Public/Pcstick/FBD1003.ZIP
yet i still have the original floppy which is also archived
there.

one issue with it though, is if you power up the
computer with the gameport plug unconnected it
can blow the keyboard port which it done on one
of my boxes. basically never release the gameport
plug.

bye

edit: typo

Reply 30 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks for the suggestion, sklawz. But I'm trying to avoid programmable joysticks.

I just want something to plug to the game port and that's done. No need to daisy chain keyboards and mice, etc...

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 32 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That looks good, but it seems like it's digital... 🙁

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 34 of 47, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rug wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, sklawz. But I'm trying to avoid programmable joysticks

You seem to dismiss a lot of suggestions being made, without actually researching / investigating further.

Back in the day many sticks where compatible with DOS and Windows. This was an important feature and usually you had extra features under Windows, but basic functionality under DOS.

So don't dismiss something right away just because it has additional ports or "digital" in the product description. Because it might do exactly what you are looking for...

In terms of rudder and throttle, what DOS game had support for this? You could read the readme files of these games, they will likely mention the compatible sticks.

Reply 35 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Mau1wurf1977 wrote:
You seem to dismiss a lot of suggestions being made, without actually researching / investigating further. […]
Show full quote
rug wrote:

Thanks for the suggestion, sklawz. But I'm trying to avoid programmable joysticks

You seem to dismiss a lot of suggestions being made, without actually researching / investigating further.

Back in the day many sticks where compatible with DOS and Windows. This was an important feature and usually you had extra features under Windows, but basic functionality under DOS.

So don't dismiss something right away just because it has additional ports or "digital" in the product description. Because it might do exactly what you are looking for...

In terms of rudder and throttle, what DOS game had support for this? You could read the readme files of these games, they will likely mention the compatible sticks.

Thanks mau.

Great tip!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 36 of 47, by bytesaber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rug wrote:

I want to acquire a 4 button\4 axis joystick for my DOS machine.

I'd like a sort of all-in-one thing: that is, maybe throttle on the side of the joystick, and twisting handle for rudder control.

I too have sought to see if any such joystick ever existed. I have only searched on occasion, but never found one. I know what you mean. You want a single joystick, that has built into it all 4 buttons and a means to access all 4 of the axes (axises?) that a gameport has to offer.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_port

I would lean towards the suggestions others have made about two analog joysticks and a Y cable. This really seems to be the only non programmable, non emulated, non TSR way. In fact, I like this way better than an all in one joystick. Sure it's more work (extra cables), but here is an upside. You can now mix in whatever analog gear you like for each hand and tryout whatever analog devices you want to combine. Sure it's more to connect, but at least you are in a pure DOS environment and can swap out broken gear as needed. No searching for a replacement unicorn joystick when it dies.

I have not found any manufacturer that made a single, one cable, joystick with all 4 possible axes and 4 buttons in a single unit, for an all analog gameport (DOS 6.22 or older environment). Sometimes maybe 3 axis for the throttle (as anlaog) but not a twist for rudder (making that the 4th axis). Anything with more, seemed to fall into the digital land (PCI sound cards with digital capable 15 pin game ports and Windows 95 and up). Which is not what we are looking for, even when those digital joysticks come with a TSR or something for DOS to emulate analogy stuff in the background (or support from within the digital joystick itself).

Hope these thoughts help. I know your last post was a couple years ago, but still thought I'd share. If anyone wants to fact correct my statements, please do!

Reply 37 of 47, by rug

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I don't think it exits, too.

Not too late your reply, tough. Thanks anyway!

Cheers,
Rita Graça.

Reply 38 of 47, by schlang

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rug wrote:
schlang wrote:

Does it work properly in DOS?

perfect with every game I have tried so far

PC#1: K6-III+ 400 | 512MB | Geforce4 | Voodoo1 | SB Live | AWE64 | GUS PNP Pro
PC#2: 486DX2-66 | 64MB | Riva128 | AWE64 | GUS PNP | PAS16