VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well...
I'm playing X-Wing 95 for 7 years. And I hadn't any problem until I've bought Asus NVidia GeForce GT 440. On my old Geforce 6100 and Radeon X1550 game worked perfectly with 3D hardware acceleration graphic turned on (of course, I've installed compatibility fix for XP/2000). But after buying this card I see such image:
xwing.png.

This "triangle" is actually an ISD.
I can't beat this problem. I've turned off all options in NVidia settings panel, but it doesn't help. On NVidia forums I see, not only me I have such problem. Turning off 3d acceleration solves problem, but game looks much better with hardware acceleration. Using DGVoodoo doesn't help (game ignore this). DOSBOX 3DFX is still not functional (at least for this game).
System specification:
Windows XP SP3
2 GB RAM
Athlon64 2 GHz
ASUS NVidia GeForce GT 440

Any suggestions?

Reply 2 of 53, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
batracio wrote:

Why dgVoodoo? Is it a Glide game?

I think so, game comes from 1998.

batracio wrote:

and why DosBox? isn't it a Windows game?

DOSBOX officially doesn't support Win9x, but inofficiall - see kekko's thread about 3dfx emulation under Win9x in DOSBOX.

Reply 3 of 53, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
OSH wrote:
batracio wrote:

Why dgVoodoo? Is it a Glide game?

I think so, game comes from 1998.

That means nothing. We must know for sure if X-Wing 95 is a Glide game or not, instead of making assumptions. Did you need dgVoodoo or any other Glide wrapper to run the game before the graphics card upgrade? If not, you can bet it's not a Glide game, because your older cards do not support Glide.

OSH wrote:
batracio wrote:

and why DosBox? isn't it a Windows game?

DOSBOX officially doesn't support Win9x, but inofficiall - see kekko's thread about 3dfx emulation under Win9x in DOSBOX.

Same as before, but even worse. Do you really want to run a Windows game in DosBox to see if unofficial Win9x support and unfinished 3dfx emulation can make it work, when one of the best glide wrappers available can't?

Reply 4 of 53, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't think it is a Glide game, you certainly don't need a 3dfx card to play it in hardware accelerated mode and I don't remember seeing any options anywhere to change the renderer. I used to play it to death on my pentium 2 and I never had a 3dfx card back then.

I've never seen that particular bug in x-wing 95 though.
I saw a similar thing playing Morrowind on a Xabre but driver updates fixed that.

Have you tried newer/older drivers for your card?
You aren't forcing any AA or filtering through the driver control panel? Disable that if you are.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.

Reply 5 of 53, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, I'm not 100% sure it is a Glide game. I've played with 3d hardware accelerations enabled on my old GeForce 6100 (nforce 405) with special patch which enable possibility to use 3d Hardware acceleration.

DonutKing wrote:

I don't remember seeing any options anywhere to change the renderer.

Wrong. It IS an option to change renderer. After pressing ESC after intro you have to go into Flight Options, and first option allow change renderer from 8-bit/16-bit/3d hardware acceleration

DonutKing wrote:

Have you tried newer/older drivers for your card?
You aren't forcing any AA or filtering through the driver control panel? Disable that if you are.

Yes, I've disable all options (trilinear buffering, anisothropic filtering and so on). Didn't help. I will try oldest drivers for my card, but I don't thin it will help.

Reply 6 of 53, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah but that is not changing the renderer from direct3d to Glide.

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 53, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Dominus wrote:

Yeah but that is not changing the renderer from direct3d to Glide.

Exactly. That was what I meant. You can run in the lower-res software modes or enable 3d hardware mode from the ingame menu. By 'change the renderer' I was referring to changing from direct3d/opengl (whatever this game uses) to Glide.

I don't think I can help with your particular issue beyond what I've already suggested. If swapping drivers doesn't fix it then your new card is possibly just incompatible with such an old game.

However I feel that the Win95 versions of both XWing and TIE Fighter are inferior to the DOS Collector's Edition CDROM versions.
You don't get hardware 3d but if you use DOSBOX with a scaling or pixel shading option you still get pretty decent graphics. You also get the iMUSE soundtrack which makes the game a lot more immersive and fun, which the win95 versions just loop digital tracks off the CD.
I discussed this in this thread: X-Wing Collector's CD-ROM ... no 640x480 resolution?
Since it doesn't use hardware 3d I doubt you'd get the same issue.

Reply 8 of 53, by shspvr

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hope this helps

X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter 3Dfx Upgrade

(Included in the v1.1.4 Update)

System Requirements For The 3Dfx Upgrade:

3Dfx Chipset Required. The video cards that are currently using the
3Dfx chipset are the Orchid Righteous, Diamond Monster 3D,
RealVision Flash 3D, and the Hercules Stingray 128/3D.

Note: The X-Wing vs. TIE Fighter 3Dfx Upgrade has been tested
extensively on cards with the 3Dfx Voodoo and Voodoo Rush chipsets.
Other 3D chipsets have not been fully tested, however, so we cannot
guarantee their compatibility, nor will LucasArts provide technical
support for 3D cards which do not have the 3Dfx Voodoo or Voodoo
Rush chipsets.

Reply 10 of 53, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

This is a known problem with nvidia drivers 27x.xx. MDK D3D and Wildride also suffer from this. If your card supports a driver that is older than the 270.xx you will be able to get around this problem. That is the same problem as this: wildride.jpg
I use the 268.03 drivers with modded .inf file and the game works fine. Same OS as you here.

Attachments

• Filename
    wildride.JPG
    File size
    84.66 KiB
    Downloads
    274 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 53, by filipetolhuizen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It didn't work with 267.24? Must be a different problem. The driver was just modified to install for my card (GTX260) as it was intended to use with the GT520 only.

Reply 14 of 53, by batracio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can modify the driver by yourself. Just edit the .inf file and add your graphics card to the supported devices list. Or post here the .inf file and we will modify it.

Reply 15 of 53, by OSH

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well, here is .inf file. I can't find, where I should insert my GFX card.

Attachments

• Filename
    nv4_disp.zip
    File size
    9.46 KiB
    Downloads
    337 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 17 of 53, by swaaye

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Laptopvideo2go mods NV's drivers for support on more hardware. They may just work for you because they add desktop chips too.
http://www.laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

Their INFs make it more obvious how to add your device ID too if you need to.

Reply 18 of 53, by Zup

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Some old games works better in Linux than in modern Windows. Star Wars episode 1: Racer won't work in Vista, but it will run happily in Debian 64 bits.

I don't know if wine graphics wrapper will work better than your plain Windows, but I would give it a try.

I have traveled across the universe and through the years to find Her.
Sometimes going all the way is just a start...

I'm selling some stuff!