VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 780 of 1968, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have a small request, is there a way to add additional EXE files besides making a choice prompt in a .BAT? An example is being able to launch CRYPTIC.EXE for Blood to play the expansion episode. D-Fend Reloaded can do this.

Thanks in advance.

Reply 781 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:
There are a few ways to account for this currently... 1: Use multi-edit to mass update the relevant profiles (i.e. select them a […]
Show full quote
steveJ wrote:

Maybe there is something I don't understand, or maybe this is a feature request, but each game seems to be tied to a specific DOSBox version. When I install another version of DOSBox, I seem have to edit each game to run with the latest version. When I try to remove old, no longer required, DOSBox versions, I am told that I can't because they are being used. If I actually delete the DOSBox version from the file system, without first editing the profile, it becomes impossible to edit the profile.
What I would like to be able to do is simply assign the DOSBox version for each game to "default". Then, when I upgrade, I will always use the latest version of DOSBox, and can get rid of earlier versions of DOSBox easily.

There are a few ways to account for this currently...
1: Use multi-edit to mass update the relevant profiles (i.e. select them all and then select edit). Such will allow you to update the profiles all at once to your new DOSBox version. This unfortunately is difficult if you've configured different profiles to use different versions.

2: Use the same "Title" for the new versions as used for the former DOSBox version.

Option 1 is definitely the way to go. I'm not sure what kolano means with 'This unfortunately is difficult if you've configured different profiles to use different versions.' as DBGL should take care of this just fine. Just remember though to 'Switch' to the new version (to make sure you use the new version's defaults except for the settings on which you deviated from the defaults). If a lot of profiles are being changed, I do recommend you make a backup of your DBGL data in advance, though.

I have a small request, is there a way to add additional EXE files besides making a choice prompt in a .BAT? An example is being able to launch CRYPTIC.EXE for Blood to play the expansion episode

The new version has two more executable fields. If you use those, you can start a game by right-clicking on the profile and selecting the appropriate .exe
Is that what you were looking for?

Reply 782 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

I'm not sure what kolano means with 'This unfortunately is difficult if you've configured different profiles to use different versions.' as DBGL should take care of this just fine.

The problem is in distinguishing which profiles are set to use which DOSBox version. If I update the ykhwong build, I'll want to migrate profiles using it to the new version. I'm not clear there is any way to pick out just those profiles from others.

Such can somewhat be addressed by using a non-versioned default name (i.e. "ykhwong" rather than "ykhwong 20110501", but such makes comparing versions more complicated. A mixed naming scheme using both names, with profiles set to the default non-versioned name can likely work around that.

Reply 783 of 1968, by Good Ol' TarviS

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well thanks, I hadn't updated.

Anyway, how do I convince DBGL that a certain SVN build is ykhwong's? I have it set to that dosbox.exe from a ykhwong build but some features (like video RAM in KB) aren't enabled, while others (such as Glide) are.

Reply 784 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

The problem is in distinguishing which profiles are set to use which DOSBox version. If I update the ykhwong build, I'll want to migrate profiles using it to the new version. I'm not clear there is any way to pick out just those profiles from others.

I guess the best way to accomplish this is to add the DOSBox version name column in the table, and sort on that. This way you can select/choose which groups of profiles (using a specific DOSBox build) should be upgraded to a newer version.

Good Ol' TarviS wrote:

Anyway, how do I convince DBGL that a certain SVN build is ykhwong's? I have it set to that dosbox.exe from a ykhwong build but some features (like video RAM in KB) aren't enabled, while others (such as Glide) are.

It should be automatically detected (by looking at the options in dosbox.conf). I *think* that ever since Gulikoza's SVGA patch was included into SVN, ykhwong's build does no longer support a specific video memory setting.

Reply 785 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:

I guess the best way to accomplish this is to add the DOSBox version name column in the table, and sort on that. This way you can select/choose which groups of profiles (using a specific DOSBox build) should be upgraded to a newer version.

Do what now? "DOSBox version" is not a selectable column in the Profiles table. Or did you mean that you'd make such possible in a future release?

rcblanke wrote:

It should be automatically detected (by looking at the options in dosbox.conf). I *think* that ever since Gulikoza's SVGA patch was included into SVN, ykhwong's build does no longer support a specific video memory setting.

Yes, recent ykhwong builds no longer support setting video memory size. I've been trying to identify a build that does enable such for a while. I need a build with that setting to use higher resolution modes of the "Rave" screensaver (since it doesn't support S3, and the Paradise mode that it does support only has 2MB by default).

Reply 786 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:

Do what now? "DOSBox version" is not a selectable column in the Profiles table.

Sure it is.

Attachments

• Filename
    dbtitle.png
    File size
    24.64 KiB
    Downloads
    438 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 788 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rcblanke wrote:
kolano wrote:

Do what now? "DOSBox version" is not a selectable column in the Profiles table.

Sure it is.

Ah, duh. I had confused DB as an acronym for Database rather than DOSBox.

Reply 789 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ykhwong wrote:
kolano wrote:

Yes, recent ykhwong builds no longer support setting video memory size.

Please download the latest update from my website. It should work.

Hrm, I think it is, but Paradise mode tops out at 1Mb (I will post elsewhere)...

Last edited by kolano on 2011-05-30, 07:08. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 790 of 1968, by ykhwong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolano wrote:
ykhwong wrote:
kolano wrote:

Yes, recent ykhwong builds no longer support setting video memory size.

Please download the latest update from my website. It should work.

Hrm, I think it is, but Paradise mode tops out at 1Mb (I'll post elsewhere)...

No problem then. 1M is the maximum for paradise.
http://www.std.com/obi/Standards/VGA/paradise.txt

Reply 791 of 1968, by kolano

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Discovered a possible bug...

Custom properties beyond Custom5+ don't seem to get the drop-down lists as seen in Custom1-4 (or perhaps it's just the last filled one that is absent the drop-down)

Eyecandy: Turn your computer into an expensive lava lamp.

Reply 793 of 1968, by rfc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having lots of games in dbgl (like many of us I guess 😀 ), and for testing/compatibility I'm using different dosbox version. It would be useful to be able to also select the "DOSBox verrsion" as a column in the profile table.

Reply 794 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rfc wrote:

I'm having lots of games in dbgl (like many of us I guess 😀 ), and for testing/compatibility I'm using different dosbox version. It would be useful to be able to also select the "DOSBox verrsion" as a column in the profile table.

? I am noticing a pattern here.. 🙄

Reply 796 of 1968, by cabinboy46

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just wanted to say that this is my favorite DOSBox frontend. I like the MobyGames information import function (saves me from having to do a lot of typing) , and the excellent CD-ROM disc mounting features. I'd like to know how to add screen shots, however (I'll check this topic), and would like to put in a request for adjustable font sizes & colors (like GameBase 1.3). Also, is there a manual for DBGL? The webpage seemd scant on documentation, especially on how to customize. Hope you guys continue to develop this excellent front end

Reply 797 of 1968, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi cabinboy,

Thanks. You can take screenshots in DOSBox with ctrl-F5 (see readme). What do you want to customize that you'd like to see a manual for?

Reply 798 of 1968, by Stingm

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just wanted to say thanks for all your hard work on DBGL. I use it with dosbox .74 and all my old games work now except one. For some reason the sound in Eye of the Beholder 3 will not work at all. But one game out of many is nothing to complain about. Keep up the excellent work.

Sting

Reply 799 of 1968, by prismra

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

How can I create a game profile when the EXE that needs to be executed resides on the IMG file that DOSbox is mounting as the D:\ drive? When I click browse it only lets me see windows drives so I can't find the executable to create the game profile. Thank-you.

Rocking the following:

Roland MT-32
Roland SC-55 Sound Canvas