VOGONS

How to fix the blippings

Topic actions

First post, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm having trouble with these blips in the running of the emulator even before a program is running. These manifest themselves as micro interruptions in the music or sound (obviously only when a game is running) or even a brief horizontal line across the screen, as though the video card was interrupted in mid-refresh!
I've been through http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Performance but the solutions don't work, and sometimes even create new problems.
I'm running Ubuntu 10.04 on a P4 2.8GHz dual core.

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Are you sure it's not something external to DOSBox that is part of your Linux installation? A good way to check would be to use a Live CD; I'm not sure if any of them come with DOSBox pre-installed, but it's easy enough to set up.

Reply 2 of 4, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I guess I'm not. Which distro do you recommend I make a live cd of?
BTW, I forgot to mention that I cranked up the priority of the DOSBox process to the max. It seemed to help a bit, but not enough.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Angus wrote:

Which distro do you recommend I make a live cd of?

I have no idea, but I doubt "making" a live CD is necessary given that there's so many pre-made ones out there.

How about Knoppix? Apparently it even includes DOSBox already.

Reply 4 of 4, by Angus

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the Knoppix live cd boldly calls itself experimental, so I went back to good ol' Suse.
There might be something in what you say. I used their native 0.74 and I hardly got any blips. However, I was running a much lower resolution. Unfrotunately, to install DOSBox on that live system I have to install >600Mb of crap, so each reboot is very costly.
I then came back to Ubuntu and built a 0.74 from source. That didn't seem to do anything. I guess there's something wrong w/this stupid system 🙁
Ubuntu doesn't seem to be everything it's cracked up to be.