Common searches

Dumpster treasures !

Topic actions

First post, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about you guys but this last year it is absolutely incredible the amount of good stuff i found on the sidewalk.
I am not even dumpster diving on purpose, just keeping an eye on the rubble piles and it happens by itself.
I created this thread because i made another good catch this morning and this could be a place for everyone to brag about what they found and share stories of how you came upon your treasures 😁

So i was driving my car this morning; it is trash day and the piles are still on the street, I keep a sharp eye as usual. Usualy i drive a little slower on trash day 😜 Suddenly i see them! Just there in the midst of a pile of misc thrash.

Two complete AT cases. I was lucky to see them because they were partially hidden by parked cars. I immediately hit the brakes and stop the traffic. I activate emergency lights, dart out of the car and snatch em both pretty things. I briefly apologize to other cars waiting behind me and go on with my day.

First thing i did when i got home in late afternoon is open those cases and see whats in there, here it is.

Case1 :
case1.jpg
mobo1.jpg
This one is a complete 486dx2/66 desktop system, PSU, HDD, ram, floppy drives, controller cards and a cirrus logic VLB card. I did not test it, i will verify the PSU first. There is a little bit of corrosion around the battery but does not look too bad, i am getting used to this anyway.

Case2:
case2.jpg
mobo2.jpg
6x86L-PR200+GP.jpg
This one is a system 7 board with a 6x86L-PR200+GP cpu, ram and psu installed, only missing Hdd, cd rom and video card to be functional. Motherboard is a ASUS P/I-PSST2P4, It has some weird extension on one of the PCI slot that i have never seen before. I know someone here will be able to tell whats the deal about it. Does not look like a 32 bit pci, its something else.

Both systems are very clean in the inside, only a bit dirty on the outside 🤣 . I cant believe those two were going to get smashed in the gardbage truck! I think those are actually a gift for me from the powers above, because i did a good job on my recent 486 restoration. I was actually sent out of my way on a detour because of road repairs and that took me directly on the path to find them.

Reply 2 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes thank you, i am quite happy with those new toys, and i found out about this weird pci slot extension. Its an Asus media bus 😀

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asus_Media_Bus

Reply 3 of 46, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Nice finds

Last time you could find stuff like these here in Sweden was like ten years ago 😜

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 5 of 46, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Its writen on the printed circuit board that that one brown slot is an Media bus.. I can see it on 4th picture.

I find this on wikipedia:

The Asus Media Bus is a proprietary computer bus developed by Asus, which was used on some Socket 7 motherboards in the middle 1990s. It is a combined PCI and ISA slot. Expansion cards supporting this interface were only manufactured by Asus for a very limited time. This bus is now obsolete.
While similar to PCI-X in appearance, the extension contains 4 additional pins (2 on each side) for a total of 68. The divider between the PCI slot and Media Bus extension is too wide to support a properly-keyed PCI-X card.

mach64ctmediaf.jpg

this is a media bus card.
Its a VGA card and sound card in Once..

On ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-AV264CT-Rev-1- … a-/140098925595

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 6 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes i found out about asus media bus yesterday but mediagroup always sell pretty high 🙁 Maybe i will make an offer on one of those, just to have the complete kit. But first i will make sure the motherboard and stuff works properly 😉

Nice finds

Last time you could find stuff like these here in Sweden was like ten years ago Sticking Tongue Out

Same thing here usualy, they are a rare find.

Reply 7 of 46, by Amigaz

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Robin4 wrote:
Its writen on the printed circuit board that that one brown slot is an Media bus.. I can see it on 4th picture. […]
Show full quote

Its writen on the printed circuit board that that one brown slot is an Media bus.. I can see it on 4th picture.

I find this on wikipedia:

The Asus Media Bus is a proprietary computer bus developed by Asus, which was used on some Socket 7 motherboards in the middle 1990s. It is a combined PCI and ISA slot. Expansion cards supporting this interface were only manufactured by Asus for a very limited time. This bus is now obsolete.
While similar to PCI-X in appearance, the extension contains 4 additional pins (2 on each side) for a total of 68. The divider between the PCI slot and Media Bus extension is too wide to support a properly-keyed PCI-X card.

mach64ctmediaf.jpg

this is a media bus card.
Its a VGA card and sound card in Once..

On ebay:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/ASUS-AV264CT-Rev-1- … a-/140098925595

And socket 8 systems 😀

Here one of these gfx/sound cards in my rig:

P1010004.JPG

My retro computer stuff: https://lychee.jjserver.net/#16136303902327

Reply 8 of 46, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Those are some nice finds, cheers! 😁

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 9 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Amigaz wrote:
https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-RmFe_bBV-gk/Sjy-tRADhqI/AAAAAAAABAA/UcwAaDh9xX8/s912/P1010004.JPG […]
Show full quote

P1010004.JPG

Dual socket 8 is scary looking, so massive! 🙄

Btw, do you need special drivers for those media bus cards or does the system sees it as two separate cards ?

Reply 11 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes! i wanted to comment on that too, its great! only case i ever had with a Green button.

Bad news is the 486 mobo in the other case has bad acid damage on it, much worse than what i though at first 🙁

Reply 12 of 46, by ncmark

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that I think about it that case looks suspiciously like some cyrix computers I saw in Best Buy once. Yes that's right - I remember when the cyrix name was going on computers and you could buy then in stores

Reply 14 of 46, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

holy jumping jesus on a stick! someone else with a p65up5! You wouldn't happen to own its big brother, the p65up8? I'll sell a kidney for one.

What revision is your board? I own two, one does NOT support 1mb p-pro's and the other does. I should put mine back in its case and get some benchmarks!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 15 of 46, by sebaz_ri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Case 1:
727eb63af059984066e509d00d489aaa354b0c6144c2a202e641e89539cc10286g.jpg

Case 2:
f676bd28ad4b14d9d14e6bb760aa705b0246ff1e4f7d513be0d1082bf261666f6g.jpg.

Case 3:
a21ba76112a5632114e95201e1a2c258a55824b60e7da8228ef53b7529d65c126g.jpg

These cases are either in the dumpster or on the sidewalk.Most of these computers have bad hard disk and other ones just a bad Windows and a CMOS battery death.

Reply 16 of 46, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

soap and water will fix most of those cases. I LOVE the slot-load 5.25" floppy drive in the middle picture. That's worth saving!

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 17 of 46, by MaxWar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

One thing i found to be particularly great at quickly making a good job of cleaning cases is the Mr.clean's Magic eraser, i always keep a couple of them at home. It can be used over and over again with soap and water, also seems to help a bit against yellowing.

Reply 18 of 46, by DonutKing

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Talking the bezels off and giving them a good soaking in a strong solution of oxygen based laundry detergent works wonders for me.
Like Vanish or Napisan, although the generic versions are cheaper and often have higher concentration of the active ingredient.

If you are squeamish, don't prod the beach rubble.