VOGONS

Theme Hospital problems

Topic actions

Reply 22 of 31, by coreyos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been playing with some settings in the config file. I set the core to normal which slowed it down greatly, so I put it back to auto. I've got about the right cycle setting to get it running smoothly, but I'm still having freezing trouble. I checked some other settings which were mentioned in the readme but no luck. I'll go back and make sure there wasn't anything else. One thing I'm noticing is when I sit still in the game, it doesn't seem to freeze. However, when I start scrolling around, it starts to lag up quite a bit and will freeze thereafter, even if I'm not scrolling before it freezes. This led me to think it was because the program wasn't getting enough memory or something, so I increased the memsize setting in the file. This hasn't had any actual effect yet. I'll keep playing around with the settings for a little bit, but in the meantime, any suggestions?

Reply 24 of 31, by haz1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, Im new here but have also been having trouble with Theme Hospital freezing in Dosbox-0.74. I am aware the above posts are quite old and was hoping that someone could still help me.

I've been playing the game without a problem up until now (about level 4) so I would assume I've mounted/installed correctly! ... but within about 20 seconds of me loading the last autosave, the screen freezes and I have to close down the game (music continues to play in the background although the screen freezes)

I have tried running on the normal core and max cycle but it makes no difference so I've set them both back to auto now. If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it... Let me know if you need anymore info.

Reply 25 of 31, by haz1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, Im new here but have also been having trouble with Theme Hospital freezing in Dosbox-0.74. I am aware the above posts are quite old and was hoping that someone could still help me.

I've been playing the game without a problem up until now (about level 4) so I would assume I've mounted/installed correctly! ... but within about 20 seconds of me loading the last autosave, the screen freezes and I have to close down the game (music continues to play in the background although the screen freezes)

I have tried running on the normal core and max cycle but it makes no difference so I've set them both back to auto now. If anyone could help i'd really appreciate it... Let me know if you need anymore info.

Reply 29 of 31, by haz1

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It will not let me attatch the save file. By the save file I take it you mean the one under directory:

c:/dos hard disk/doshardd/save ?

(doshardd is the directory where the hospital.exe file is where I start the game under dosbox)

under the save folder I have Harry.H1, Harry.H8 etc. Save slot 1 is where I save the game which I guess is .H1; it is this file that it will not let me attatch. Please direct if I am doing it wrong.

Also, I have noticed a glitch whilst trying to fix it in the form of a doctor in a gp surgery who clones shortly before it freezes. Do you believe just firing him before it freezes will fix the problem in the long term? This is almost certainly a game bug over a dosbox problem. Thanks