VOGONS

First post, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

After too many annoying experiences in trying to get certain games to work properly under modern versions of Windows, I decided to give them a dedicated Win98 machine.

This was my first real attempt at putting together such a system. I wasn't (and am not) an expert. And back in the day, gamer-level hardware was well beyond my means, so this wasn't even nostalgia. I just wanted to have the best system I could for running games from a certain period, and the ubergeek in me wanted the components to be era-appropriate.

As initially received, the machine was a stock Dell Dimension XPS D333, given up by a friend's aunt:

Pentium II 333 MHz
64 MB RAM
ATI Xpert 98
Turtle Beach Montego
5 GB drive
Windows 98 SE

Now:

Pentium II 333 MHz, soon to be Celeron 500 MHz
128 MB RAM
ATI Xpert 98 + Voodoo2 x2 (SLI)
SoundBlaster Live! CT4760
5 GB, 20 GB drives
Windows 98 SE

Both Voodoo2 cards are 12 MB Diamond Monster 3D IIs. To complete the Voodoo2 SLI configuration, I had to win two eBay auctions, one for the bare Diamond cards and one for a complete package of a 3dfx-branded V2 1000 that included the VGA passthrough and SLI ribbon cables. One side project down the road might be to see if I can get the 3dfx and Diamond cards working together in SLI by using the pure 3dfx reference drivers.

Replacing the Turtle Beach sound card was a no-brainer. I considered the AWE32 and AWE64 at first, but then realized that I'd want an EAX-capable card for EAX-capable games, and under Windows I'd prefer to deal with PCI than ISA anyway.

The additional RAM was from a Compaq Deskpro EP C500 that I got from a coworker a few months ago, and the Celeron will come from the same place. Big, big thanks to this 13-year-old Earthlink page for walking me through the slocket and BIOS upgrade prerequisites: http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/

My worries about obtaining drivers for all this hardware turned out to be unfounded. It was absurdly easy to find not only zips but ISOs of the original driver CDs that generous folks had thrown up on filesharing sites.

Here are some pictures of the components and complete system.

Diamond Monster 3D IIs
wp000200b.th.jpg

3dfx V2 1000 with cables, etc.
wp000199.th.jpg wp000204.th.jpg wp000202j.th.jpg

SoundBlaster Live! CT4760
wp000205.th.jpg

Interior shots
wp000206c.th.jpg wp000207.th.jpg wp000208f.th.jpg

Front shot - you can see my sole concession to modern(ish) computing, the drive for reading burned discs
wp000209n.th.jpg

doing-doing-doing-DOING
wp000211c.th.jpg

Rear shot - such sparse ports! And you can see the VGA passthrough
wp000212.th.jpg

Ghetto setup until I get a proper desk for it (yeah, the keyboard needs serious cleaning)
wp000213.th.jpg

Ahh, OEM-branded Windows
wp000214.th.jpg

The Dell didn't come with a monitor, but I happened to have an appropriate CRT, a 14-inch Compaq V50. I will probably replace it with a 19-inch Samsung SyncMaster CRT that I also have lying around.

Reply 1 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Some quick screenshots of the games I've tested so far:

Unreal - Glide
shot0002yv.th.png shot0003b.th.png

Quake 2 - Glide (this kept crashing when I tried to take the screenshot until I replaced 3dfxgl.dll with a newer version from patched Half-Life)
quake00.th.png quake01.th.png

Half-Life - OpenGL
c1a0e0002.th.png

System Shock 2 - Direct3D
dump002.th.png

Deus Ex - Glide
shot0001a.th.png

Just for fun, the Monster 3D II configuration menus
monsteroptions.th.png

The framerates I got for Deus Ex left something to be desired, though the game was definitely playable. I'm not 100% sure where the bottleneck is there, but I'm hoping for at least a little improvement when I add 167 MHz with the Celeron. Drive space on the 5 GB got tight very quickly with all this stuff (what an odd thing to have to care about again!), hence the additional 20 GB. Other games I intend to investigate include Blade Runner, Thief, Homeworld, Omikron: The Nomad Soul, Serious Sam, Fallout, Sacrifice, Forsaken, and Grim Fandango. Of those, I've only played the latter three.

Reply 3 of 17, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Very very nice, well done!

The thing about 3D graphics from that period is that it exploded over a short amount of time. So it's important to pick the right games from that period. Because two years later the performance has gone through the roof...

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 4 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Update: just added a (comically large) NIC so I can take this bastard online. All PCI slots are now occupied. UT99 here I come!

wp000227l.th.jpg wp000228.th.jpg

The wisdom of putting a Windows 98 system online in this day and age seems questionable, but I have it firmly segregated from the rest of my network.

BTW - would a moderator mind moving this thread to the "Marvin" forum? I guess that's where it's supposed to go. Thanks!

Reply 5 of 17, by GXL750

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I thought the NIC was ISA for a second; excluding really early PCI NICs, the only one's I've seen around that size were oddball expensive cards with some sort of role to play in servers and such.

Those ATX cases Dell used to use were top notch; among my favorite to work with.

Out of curiosity, does it use the 440BX or 440LX chipset?

Reply 6 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yeah, it's a gigantic NIC. Apparently a popular 3Com model back in the day. I'm guessing that empty 32-pin socket to the right is for a boot ROM.

The chipset is 440LX. According to what I've read, I can go as high as a Celeron 766 MHz, but no higher because everything after that requires 100/133 MHz FSB and this is 66 MHz.

Reply 7 of 17, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Subjunctive wrote:

Yeah, it's a gigantic NIC. Apparently a popular 3Com model back in the day. I'm guessing that empty 32-pin socket to the right is for a boot ROM.

The chipset is 440LX. According to what I've read, I can go as high as a Celeron 766 MHz, but no higher because everything after that requires 100/133 MHz FSB and this is 66 MHz.

The LX won't work with the Coppermine-based Celerons, unless you use some kind of adapter.

The thing with LX is, you can put a faster CPU in there (probably also a Katmai) but the question is, will it recognize it correctly? And if not, is it a bad thing it's not recognized correctly?
What will work is however to put an unlocked P2 in there and let it run at 366Mhz (still 'an' improvement 😜) or a Celeron slot 1 (went up to 400Mhz at least).
The PPGA (=socketed) Celeron went up to 533Mhz.
I once tried a Katmai in a board not supporting Pentium 3's and it recognized it at it's correct speed, but will recognize it as a Pentium 2 instead of a Pentium 3. A Katmai 600 will get you 400Mhz that way (still better then the unlocked Pentium 2 😜)
But with Dell, you never know for sure what is supported and what is not.

This is all presuming the Pentium 2 you're using right now is a Deschutes.
If it's a Klamath, your upgrade path will be much more limited.

LX is a fine chipset though, limited mostly by it's inability to run 100mhz FSB CPU's and if that's not a problem for you, then there really isn't much of a problem 😉
I ran an LX rig for several years myself (with Celeron 400) and was perfectly happy about it 😀

Edit:I forgot to mention, if you happen to succeed in using a Tualatin on an adapter, you can even break 1Ghz with your rig hehe, using the 1400Mhz Celeron (commonly called, the "Tualeron").

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to Wikipedia, it has to be a Deschutes P2, since Klamath didn't go above 300 MHz.

These guys seem pretty confident that I can do a Mendocino Celeron 500 on 440LX with no trouble, provided that I first reflash the BIOS from Dell to Intel:

http://www.roberthancock.com/dell/xpsdproc.htm
http://home.earthlink.net/~billselk/al440lx/upgrades.html

They also indicate that Coppermine Celerons (up to 766) can work, if the slocket that I use has an appropriate voltage regulator. I'm not sure if the slocket I'm looking at (Super Slocket-III) is so equipped, though. Coppermines at 800 and faster use 100 MHz FSB, so it looks like they're not an option.

Reply 9 of 17, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Be sure you save a copy of the original BIOS in case the flash fails. Just because a board looks like one that was sold to many OEM's or sold at retail doesn't mean a BIOS flash will work.

Reply 10 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, I've ordered the slocket, but I've also managed to lay my hands on a Pentium III 550 MHz, 440BX chipset. Don't know yet whether it's Katmai or Coppermine.

It's less generationally-appropriate for the Voodoo2 cards, I guess, but I'm definitely going to need more CPU horsepower for Deus Ex and even System Shock 2 (which, it turns out, performs less well on the P2-333 than my brief initial test showed).

So, after I get the slocket, I'll have three CPUs to compare: P2-333, Celeron-500, P3-550. I'm pretty curious about how the Celeron-500 will stack up against the P3-550, even though it's a Mendocino. I'd rather use the Dell case if possible because it really is quite nice. The Voodoo2 ought to be enough GPU-wise, though.

Reply 11 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I get slowdowns in Deus Ex with my PIII 1Ghz, never really figured out why. There's a thread around here somewhere that I raised about it.

Nice setup though, there's something special about seeing games running on the intended hardware.

Reply 12 of 17, by RoyBatty

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is plenty of exploit fixes from the community at large for Win98SE, search around on MSFN for them. Also , just don't install java or use IE and if you surf with firefox just install noscript and you should be good to go. Win98 is so far out of malware authors attention now... just keep it behind a router or something so they can't telnet etc in to it and you should be fine.

Reply 13 of 17, by schaap

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice machine. I have a very similar Dimension XPS D266. It's very easy to install the Celeron 500 PPGA in this machine, just flash the last Intel BIOS using the instructions from Bill's page. I've had the original Pentium II 266, a Pentium II 400 @ 266 (mult. locked, runs much cooler than the original) and now a Celeron 500 in it.

The machine will not start with the Celeron 500 in it with the original Dell BIOS, you must install the intel AL440LX BIOS with your original CPU. I've also tried coppermine celerons in mine, they didn't work (not sure if it didn't boot at all or they were unstable, it has been a while).

Also very important! DO NOT CONNECT A STANDARD ATX PSU! The connector will fit, but these Dells use their own non standard wiring, using a standard ATX PSU will fry the motherboard!

Reply 14 of 17, by Subjunctive

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Success! Using Bill Selk's excellent instructions, I was able to reflash the BIOS from Dell to Intel and get the Celeron 500 accepted. Configuring all the jumpers on the slocket (various combos for 66/100/133 MHz FSB, Intel/AMD/Cyrix, 1/2 CPUs) was a real hoot.

Unsurprisingly, Windows 98 still registers the Celeron as a Pentium II, but the 167 additional MHz is definitely noticeable in UT99, System Shock 2, Deus Ex, and other games that work the system to its limits. I was a little sad to lose the slick SECC with its nice copper heatsink, but the bare slocket with the Celeron and its bland aluminum heatsink lashed to it have their own kinda cool aesthetic.

So far the 200W PSU that came with the Dell has supported all of this - the new CPU, all the PCI cards, the additional HD - without complaint.

wp000246.th.jpg

Reply 15 of 17, by PowerPie5000

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
badmofo wrote:

I get slowdowns in Deus Ex with my PIII 1Ghz, never really figured out why. There's a thread around here somewhere that I raised about it.

Nice setup though, there's something special about seeing games running on the intended hardware.

What graphics card are you using? And how much RAM does that rig have? My PIII 650Mhz with 16mb Voodoo 3 3000 graphics and 384Mb RAM runs it perfectly 😀

I also tried it with an AMD Duron 800Mhz with a 32Mb Geforce 2 GTS and it ran quite badly for some reason 😒

Reply 16 of 17, by badmojo

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
PowerPie5000 wrote:

What graphics card are you using? And how much RAM does that rig have? My PIII 650Mhz with 16mb Voodoo 3 3000 graphics and 384Mb RAM runs it perfectly 😀

I also tried it with an AMD Duron 800Mhz with a 32Mb Geforce 2 GTS and it ran quite badly for some reason 😒

That's interesting, I've tried a Geforce 2 GTS and an Ultra. Maybe it just doesn't like those cards. I bought a Voodoo 3 3000 recently as it happens so I'll pop that in and see what shakes loose.

I have 512 RAM BTW.