VOGONS

486 Wait...

Topic actions

First post, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I got me a 486 motherboard 😁

However after the memory test is ok it hangs at Wait...

I only have a video card attached, and 1 stick of EDO RAM.

I've tried a few video cards and a few different sticks of EDO RAM and it still hangs at Wait...

I believe the board has an AMD 133Mhz 486 Processor though I haven't checked because I'm not sure how to get the heatsink off.

Trying to identify the board it has a SiS 85C471 and SiS 86C407
It also says on the board 471 Rev,D if that helps at all.
The board has 7 ISA slots of which 1 is 8bit ISA and 3 have VLB
4 32pin SIMM slots (i think thats the right number)
2 EDO SIMM slots

It appears the battery has been removed but I assume that shouldn't stop it from working properly. Also I don't see any CPU info on the screen just the 16000.

Hmmmmmm Now it stoped posting at all when I tried a different video card or something i dunno 🙁 😵 🙁 😵

Reply 1 of 27, by 5u3

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

AFAIK the SIS 471 doesn't support EDO RAM.
Do you have any 30-pin modules to test in the board?
Most of the 72-pin modules used in PCs were of the EDO type and it can be difficult to find 72-pin FPM modules (these would be required to work with your board).

Reply 2 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hmm but it looks like EDO slots to me, I have a couple of 256KB SIMMs I think. Not exactly ideal but its at least something assuming I can get the board to post again tomorrow and it doesn't decide to hate me or something 🙁

Reply 3 of 27, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
awergh wrote:

Hmm but it looks like EDO slots to me, I have a couple of 256KB SIMMs I think. Not exactly ideal but its at least something assuming I can get the board to post again tomorrow and it doesn't decide to hate me or something 🙁

72p memory modules came in both FPM and EDO modules. EDO modules typically won't work in 486 boards, except for the very late ones.
I'd say EDO SIMMs won't work in your board due to it's age (it has 30p memory slots)

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 4 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Errmmm....just a wild guess - try disabling hard drives in bios - set to "Disabled" or "None". And try rebooting again.

Edit : FPM modules (Non-EDO) have memory chips which are usually narrower than EDO counterparts, if I'm not mistaken.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 6 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Most of the 72pin RAM is actually only 4MB, the only one labeled EDO definitely didn't work at all.
I never managed to get into the BIOS because the keyboard didn't seem to respond at least numlock didn't seem to anyway I didn't press delete much I think. Most of the sticks come from thin client things I think.

I'll see if I can get somewhere today and hope I don't get all depressed if it decides it doesn't work for me.

Reply 7 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

tried with 2x256KB SIMMs and I'm still stuck with it not posting 🙁 🙁 🙁
Sounds like it died on me 🙁 🙁 😵 😵

All i see is the standard flick of the keyboard lights and the LED on the board coming on and the sound of the speaker having power but no beeps of it working or not working 🙁

Now I'm all sad and sad 🙁

Reply 8 of 27, by Chewhacca

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had this problem with mine as well, had to remove the scsi card from it, boot the machine, power off, then boot again with the card installed. Could be a PnP resource conflict.

Reply 9 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Anything with 486 in the subject line always seems to catch my eye. I highly recommend getting a new coin battery. Some 486 motherboards won't post if the real-time clock doesn't have battery backup.

72-pin FPM RAM is still available on eBay. I picked up four 32 MB FPM SIMMs less than 3 months ago. Two sticks of 8, 16, or 32 MB are great for testing. Some motherboards want the sticks in pairs, others do not.

Even for the 486 motherboard that do support EDO RAM, I find FPM RAM a lot more stable in such boards, especially when using fast cache/memory settings.

I've never used 256 KB 30-pin SIMMs, but it sounds awefully little. Your motherboard may not support this configuration. Try sourcing a pair of 72-pin FPM SIMMs.

Plan your life wisely, you'll be dead before you know it.

Reply 10 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Battery would be good but it did post before without it so I assumed it shouldn't change anything if I added one. Hmm maybe the 256KB 30-pin SIMMS are too small but they are the only 30-pin SIMMs I have lieing around.

When I was having the Wait... that is when it was actually POSTing I only had an ISA or VLB video card installed.

Reply 11 of 27, by Malik

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Try resetting the CMOS if can't or won't POST and use the VLB or ISA card. Then if able to enter BIOS, disable the hard drives.

And if possible, upload a picture of that board.

5476332566_7480a12517_t.jpgSB Dos Drivers

Reply 14 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Sit back, relax, order the proper RTC battery and 72-pin FPM RAM, then try again. Even your pharmacy should carry the CR2032 battery (I think that is what they are). 30-pin SIMMs need to be installed with all 4 sticks only.

Once you've done this, begin troubleshooting again. Be sure to have at least 1 VLB and 1 ISA graphics card for troubleshooting. There may not be a jumper on the motherboard to reset the BIOS, there may just be a solder pad you have to short while the system is off. I don't believe that RTC's with a coin cell battery need to be cleared via a jumper or solderpad to reset them; it is often sufficient to remove the battery and/or BIOS.

Reply 15 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

So I can just use one of those normal 3v lithium batteries then? I just assumed that those log looking batteries from before then were different. I guess I can desolder a battery holder of a dead IBM Netvista mobo or something I think its a vertical one to so that would actually fit properly.

Reply 16 of 27, by feipoa

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I was under the impression that your current motherboard had a coin cell holder already, just that the battery in it was dead? Is this not the case? Or do you have one of those purple or blue Lithium Ion batteries soldered in? Please upload a photo of the board.

Reply 18 of 27, by awergh

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board posts again but its weird to me why it sometimes doesn't feel like posting but it works with 1 ISA card in slot4 and 1 stick of ram in the RAM slot clostest to the cpu (this is mostly incase it decides to hate me and I can't remember what worked).

I can't enter the BIOS because the keyboard doesn't respond at all except the initial flash.

I'll see if I can get you a photo by borrowing a camera or something.