Common searches

First post, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

dcp01573.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

GeForce 6800 Ultra OC PCIe

Would like the most "modern" recommendation but also fairly budget. I've got my 2xVoodoo2 cards for SLI GLide stuff....supercool if I could find a MoBo w/ 66MHz PCI slots.

Pentium build about to go into completion stage.
386 build about to go into construction stage.
486 re-build about to go into collection stage.
Retro-semi-modern about to go into planning stage. 😀

Will pay $$$ for:

caching ISA I/O-IDE controller

PM me for my list of trade-ables...

Reply 1 of 13, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's a royal shame that isn't AGP... the 6800 was the last native AGP chip nvidia made to my knowledge.

The earliest PCIe systems I know of are socket 939 systems, that's when I went to PCIe... they are kinda expensive though to put together.

If you want PCIe and PCIX you will need to go directly to workstation boards which means you're likely to get into very spendy stuff.

Reply 2 of 13, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, if it were an AGP I'd have a couple nice MoBo's to throw at it. I've got a 939 DUAL MoBo PC sitting here, but I use it to run my Wildcat 800 + VP2290b so I'd like to keep that in situ...

Will pay $$$ for:

Reply 3 of 13, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

erm... socket 939 isn't SMP capable. That was socket 940. I know, I have a board here that is dual 940, and several extra opteron cpus, along with having given another dual socket 940 system to a friend that loves opterons.

Reply 5 of 13, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

oh jeez. those are kinda oddities, not seen so many of those.

Now that I think about it, your second best bet would be an am2 single core based system, I think.

Reply 6 of 13, by Gemini000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Waitaminute... Does Windows 98 even support PCIe? I already know it tends to have issues with USB 2.0...

Also, just as additional info, I'm 99.9911254% positive that Windows 98 can't handle dual-core or dual-cpu systems properly. :P

--- Kris Asick (Gemini)
--- Pixelmusement Website: www.pixelships.com
--- Ancient DOS Games Webshow: www.pixelships.com/adg

Reply 7 of 13, by jaqie

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It can handle them, it just runs on the BSP and ignores any APs, so it does not fully utilize them but it works fine. I did suggest a single core am2 system, however.

I have no idea if it can handle PCIe properly, however.

Reply 11 of 13, by Aideka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Why would windows 98 NOT support pcie, if there is mobo chipset drivers available?

EDIT: MSFN forums say that geforce 6 series PCIe cards work http://www.msfn.org/board/topic/155418-nvidia … -in-windows-98/

8zszli-6.png

Reply 12 of 13, by prophase_j

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Depending on the motherboard... you might be okay. Look here:
Compatible Hardware with Windows 9x

and here:
Modern motherboards which are working with Windows 98

(edit) and one more:

Nvidia PCI-E GeForce series 6 cards in Windows 98

"Retro Rocket"
Athlon XP-M 2200+ // Epox 8KTA3
Radeon 9800xt // Voodoo2 SLI
Diamond MX300 // SB AWE64 Gold

Reply 13 of 13, by 7cjbill2

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I will probably just hunt down an AGP version when the time comes, and I can toss it into my D850GB board or VC820 at the worst. My card is 512MB anyway, not sure that would even work with W98.

Will pay $$$ for: